Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Looking for a quality Weather Radio

I had a post here not to far back about a cross country trip where I encountered bad weather multiple times. I have since downloaded apps that connect with NOAA weather stations, well great, if you have cell service.

So now I am looking at weather radios, but radios are not my thing. I know I want a good one, I found C.Crane, but I can’t understand all the jargon, I could not pick one.

Anybody know these things?
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:49 PM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The gentleman with which I discussed this issue maintained that his Ham Radio was the key to getting the weather warnings that he needed. That would seem to suggest, you need to be a radio guy.

Not ready to make that move as yet. So I'll continue to use the little portable that came from - https://russellsformen.com/search?query=weather+radio. It's the yellow one. Convinced your thread will wring out some other options, so I'll keep a watch to see if I can learn a bit more. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Looking for a quality Weather Radio

Any weather radio will work reasonably well. You don’t really need to be a ham radio operator to utilize the NOAA weather warning system.

Admittedly, as a ham in Huntsville, Alabama, I found using ham radio does give you a somewhat earlier warning assuming you are listening to a local weather net during bad weather. Typically we heard of approaching dangerous weather 2-3 minutes before the tornado sirens went off. We had a radio operator at the NWS radar site looking over the operators shoulder. He would ask for ground spotters in the area of a suspicious radar return and let all of us know what was going on.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:55 AM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I had a post here not to far back about a cross country trip where I encountered bad weather multiple times. I have since downloaded apps that connect with NOAA weather stations, well great, if you have cell service.

So now I am looking at weather radios, but radios are not my thing. I know I want a good one, I found C.Crane, but I can’t understand all the jargon, I could not pick one.

I have had a Sangean DT-400W in my trailer for almost ten years. It works great, it's small, and I recommend it. Runs on AA batteries, which I've been removing every fall to prevent leakage.

The DT-400W is still in production, and they cost just under $50.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:59 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
Not this one! Bought this off Amazon, and it is worthless. Not sure where all the great reviews came from. Maybe I just got a bad one. But I will be following this thread, as I’m in the market also.

[Upgraded Version] RunningSnail Emergency Hand Crank Self Powered AM/FM NOAA Solar Weather Radio with LED Flashlight, 1000mAh Power Bank for iPhone/Smart Phone
malinois38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I have a marine radio from my sailboat days. You can drop them in the water and they float. We use it sometimes when on the coasts to listen to the ships.

They are not cheap but you can throw them across the room with no damage at all.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:21 AM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I bought a C.Crane CC Skywave before my long trip through tornado country this summer. The only things I've found I dislike about it are that a) you have to turn on the "Alert" feature every 16 hours, and b) when the alert feature is on, the display backlight blinks on and off which is a bit annoying.

I place the radio face-down on the nightstand when it's in alert mode so the blinking light doesn't interfere with my sleep. It's not the cheapest option, but has a ton of nice nerd-features.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
When the radio in my trailer went out I replaced it with an AM/FM/CD with NOAA radio reception. I can always find a NOAA station to pick up. The only negative is that this is not an ALERT radio.
There are many good tabletop portable radios with NOAA reception and alerts available. I would look for one that is easy to operate and can fine tune the alerts to your immediate area.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:12 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Miami Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post

Try using the app called Dark Sky. It uses your actual gps location to give you by the minute forecasts, plus the normal 7 day, and a time machine for weather from years past on any day that there were records kept. Even warns you when it’s about to rain.
rsementi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I had the C. Crane CC-Radio for years and absolutely loved it. Until the display faded out and C. Crane wasn't interested in helping me. It was a common problem.
I don't know if they solved it in the CC-Radio 2, but the biggest problem for me is inside the Airstream, radio reception is terrible. I have a nice Sangean, and almost never use it. I miss late night talk radio while I sleep.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:55 PM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you run a weather radio in tornado country "in the season" you do indeed get some of the information you need. In addition to that you get a bazillion pieces of information you have absolutely no use at all for.

There is no "real time" information on the NOAA system. It is all alerts. That means that while you get a hint that something *might* happen, you do not get information about what *is* happening. There are other more modern ways to get real time info *if* you can get a cell connection.

The alert process covers a wide area. The number of alerts can be huge. They are phrased in a fashion that assumes you have a detailed knowledge of the landmarks for a couple hundred miles in any direction. "A point 2.3 miles south west of the junction of Uncle Bob Road and County route 3357" ..... right back to needing a cell connection to look things up.

Any radio that will get any NOAA station gives you the full set of data. There is no advantage to or need for multiple stations. They are spaced out around the landscape. Being able to get at least one of them is not super tough.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:03 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Lakeland , Florida
Oregon Scientific on Amazon. Portable and easy to use.
mike28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:18 PM   #13
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Tagging along to see what I can learn from the experience of others!

Thanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:40 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Galt , California
Quality WX radio

C. Crane is one of the best. Located in Fortuna CA, he designs most of the radios he sells. I have several of his radios, and they all play well with very good reception.
Andrew, K6STN
2017 27' Signature FB
2017 F-250 4x4 Diesel Lariat crew cab
One each Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
absteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:27 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Jackson , Tennessee
Weather Radio

Being a Ham I like that idea. However, you should be able to find an inexpensive scanner that would fill the bill. If it’s just a WX Radio you want go with least cost. You don’t need any bells and whistles I assume.
K3ors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsementi View Post
Try using the app called Dark Sky. It uses your actual gps location to give you by the minute forecasts, plus the normal 7 day, and a time machine for weather from years past on any day that there were records kept. Even warns you when it’s about to rain.
Yes, I have that app and several more but the issue is, they need cell service. So I am going to a radio.

This has become a fascinating thread for me, I need to educate myself more before I buy. I like the C Crane radios, the hard part is picking one as there are so many.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:10 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
Duxbury , MA
Weather Radio

Get a radio with the alert function so you will be notified of impending weather as long as it is powered up.
DougHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:24 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

patterson , Louisiana
We have used the CRANE radio for decades, have two of them, and do not leave home without one.
CCC
carmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
I'm a visual person. We at least were through a town every few days so we had cell phone or tv reception. Radar maps helped us know in advance of storm fronts, hurricanes, or dust storms. Most importantly, where they'd be in the day or two ahead. We sometimes had to divert hundreds of miles out of our intended path, but not sure radio reports would give the information needed to avoid such bad weather.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:10 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I have a Sangean CL-100 that has been the best I have found.

Though, I have not tried the C Crane models.

To work well any brand will require a bit of setup for each location one wishes to monitor.

The NWS uses a system called Specific Area Message Encoding(SAME) to send alerts. This allows the NWS to contain the alerts to a single county.

This is an improvement over the old days when the system set off all the radios within the range of a given radio transmitter which could be a thousand square miles or more.

Setting up a SAME radio to work correctly would involve finding out what county one is in, looking up the SAME address for that county, tuning the weather radio to a transmitter that covers the area, and then programming the radio for that SAME code. All this info is readily available on the web.

If that sounds like a lot of work, the old signal that triggered all radios in range of a given transmitter is still sent by the NWS during any weather warning. Most new weather radios can be set to alert to it instead of the SAME message. Much more simple, but one might be rousted from a sound sleep for a storm 100 miles away.

For those of us who live in "tornado alley", being alerted to a entire county seems a bit much some times. The storm could be across the county, 30-50 miles away and no threat.

I do carry a SAME radio and I do take the time to set it up on nights that could be concerning.

There are voice forecasts transmitted to these radios that can be a little old, but the watch and warning alerts occur in real time and can allow one to sleep without watching the weather all night.

As I like to say, not coming to Oklahoma because of tornados is like not going to California because of earthquakes, or the beach because of a tsunami.

But one should be aware...

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote