Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2006, 07:09 PM   #21
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Question Weapons to Canada ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie

I do know that if you plan to go to Canada, you cannot bring you gun....AT ALL, so don't bring it cause they'll sieze it or deny you entry into Canada....maybe even haul you off to jail.
My experience differs from that statement. Entering from Montana and exiting into Washington I did not have a problem.

I travel with my Gun Dog, shotguns & a large amount of ammo. At the Canadian border, I declared the weapon ... was told to bring it into the border office & register it ... paid a very minor fee for the paperwork and left with a single sheet copy - documenting the weapon's entry into Canada.

I was told that if I were questioned while visiting Canada, simply show the document.

Handgun policy may differ, I have no experience in that area.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:11 PM   #22
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
Dear Action,
Not sure what part of my statement you think is NOT true.

In Arizona, you may may carry a holstered, loaded, unconcealed firearm on your person. Agree?

"Carrying a loaded handgun in your glove is legal without a permit as such carry is not considered concealed..." Has this statute been changed?

If so, I sincerely appreciate the update. I travel frequently across the border to Arizona and may have been operating under a statute that has been superceded. This thread is tacit proof that all states have different laws, and all laws are being constantly revising; usually towards stricter gun control.

We all want to be in strict compliance with the spirit and intent of the law, and at all times firearms safety is paramount and in my book supercedes that which at times may be technically permissible under the law.
I think I stand corrected.

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=AZ

The page reads in part:
It is unlawful to carry a firearm concealed within the immediate control of any person in or on a means of transportation. This does not apply to firearms carried in a case, holster or scabbard in a means of transportation or a storage compartment, trunk, pack, luggage, or glove compartment of a means of transportation.

So if the firearm is in a holster it's OK in the glovebox. NO holster or case, you my friend are breaking the law in AZ.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-12-2006, 07:13 PM   #23
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
My experience differs from that statement. Entering from Montana and exiting into Washington I did not have a problem.

I travel with my Gun Dog, shotguns & a large amount of ammo. At the Canadian border, I declared the weapon ... was told to bring it into the border office & register it ... paid a very minor fee for the paperwork and left with a single sheet copy - documenting the weapon's entry into Canada.

I was told that if I were questioned while visiting Canada, simply show the document.
That is Mexico.

Going to Mexico you DO NOT want to take ANY firearms. Jail is where you go if you get across. And Mexican jails are not a holiday or anything close to it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-12-2006, 07:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
My grandfather

I will always remember the advice of my grandfather, who was somewhat of an outlaw himself (produced and sold liquor during Prohibition), gave me when I was a teenager. He asked me if I wanted to know the "only sure way to beat the law", to which I replied "Sure do!". He said " Obey it".

I have an evidence locker full of deadly weapons, from crossbows, Saturday Night Specials, to full-auto assault weapons. None of which were seized because we had "little to do". Typically, if they weren't directly used in a crime, they were seized in relation to another one. I have always tried to instill in my officers to enforce the intent of the law, over the letter of the law.

That being said, GlennCoombe, your advice to give only the information that is required by law, is sound.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:25 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy4
Silvertwinkie,

Just to set the record straight there are presently 37 states that issue concealed carry license to their citizens and two states (Alaska and Vermont) that have no restrictions.

[URL="http://www.moccw.org/map.html"
http://www.moccw.org/map.html[/URL]

Ed
Are you saying that states where a town allows it is considered a state that allows it, even though the majority of the state is not carry, let alone conceal? Is this for plain citizens? Are the guns loaded and say on a hip holster?

We have property in MI and there are no carry laws allowing regular citizens to carry a loaded wepon on them, let alone conceal it, yet I see MI is on the list of possible states that "allow" one to carry a loaded weapon on their person.

In Texas, nearly every place I've traveled had folks carrying. This has not been my exp in approx 30 of the 50 states I've traveled. Matter of fact, in some places in TX there are signs in some public buildings that restrict bringing a loaded gun carried on a person (concealed or not) into some buildings.

I'm not trying to dispute the link, just never seen anyone carry a loaded gun in public, except in Texas.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:28 PM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action

And Mexican jails are not a holiday or anything close to it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

You speakin' from exp action?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:45 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Here in the free southern states, aka The RED States, we sometimes take to literal interpretations of documents. For example;
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:47 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxblood
Actually, this is not a true story. But having a gun while traveling with bears, javelinas, and terrorists out there seems to be my constitutional rights. I actually had 15 javelinas come up to my telescope at 12 pm one night and they were looking for my dogs (they are very territorial). I do own 2 books on gunlaws in the USA. And I don't actually store my guns in the toolbox. Thx for replies.

I have to ask why you posted a fabrication then later decide to call it a Hypotheticl story. You then admit to owning 2 books on gun laws, seems odd and a lot like a troll.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:06 PM   #29
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Lightbulb

Quote:
You speakin' from exp action?
Not personal experience. And I did bail out a friend that had an accident with no insurance. He didn't take any pictures and his description was all I needed.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-12-2006, 10:10 PM   #30
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
I'm not trying to dispute the link, just never seen anyone carry a loaded gun in public, except in Texas.
They do in AZ. Six shooters in a holsters strapped on.

I seen one guy with the same and spurs and chaps.

Prefectly legal.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-12-2006, 10:31 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Argyle , Texas
Quote:
Are you saying that states where a town allows it is considered a state that allows it, even though the majority of the state is not carry, let alone conceal? Is this for plain citizens? Are the guns loaded and say on a hip holster?

We have property in MI and there are no carry laws allowing regular citizens to carry a loaded wepon on them, let alone conceal it, yet I see MI is on the list of possible states that "allow" one to carry a loaded weapon on their person.

In Texas, nearly every place I've traveled had folks carrying. This has not been my exp in approx 30 of the 50 states I've traveled. Matter of fact, in some places in TX there are signs in some public buildings that restrict bringing a loaded gun carried on a person (concealed or not) into some buildings.

Silvertwinkie,

And as the law is written, you will/should never see anyone legally carrying a "concealed weapon".

What I am refering to is that a person Texas , if not a felon, drug addict, etc. can acquire (with proper training) a "conceald" carry permit. In Texas, as in most states, it is illegal to carry a weapon open to public display. Only two states have no restrictions that allow someone to carry an exposed weapon on his person in public. And if you have, in fact, seen someone carrying a side arm in Texas (loaded or not) in public, he was doing so illegally.

Despite what some think of the "cowboys" here in
Texas we are quite civilized. We even drink tea with our crumpets.

Ed
Buzzy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 10:33 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Bowmanville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood

Handgun policy may differ, I have no experience in that area.
You would not be allowed to enter Canada with a handgun. You would be turned away or have to leave your handgun with the border guard. Canadian Border guards don't even carry guns but I believe this will change soon.

There's probably a better chance that in the U.S. vs Canada a bad guy will come up to you, shoot you then rob you because he probably expects you to be armed. Have you ever seen those police shoot outs after a cop pulls over a car, in the heat of the moment, trained officers can't seem to hit the side of a barn door. If you carry a gun you better know how to use it well and if you can't get at it easily it's useless.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:07 PM   #33
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action
They do in AZ. Six shooters in a holsters strapped on.

I seen one guy with the same and spurs and chaps.

Prefectly legal.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
That's right. While wintering in AZ I saw a lot of folks with a gun and holster. Heck, half the folks at the RV park were packin' heat.

If I remember right, while we were there ... AZ passed a law that allowed an individual to bring a loaded gun into a bar ... but he was not allowed to drink.

That got me to thinking ... Will a bartender have the courage to refuse service to someone carrying a loaded weapon?

I think this law was vetoed by the governor.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:22 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Gun laws don't work-

One poster said that we need to protect ourselves. Who are we protecting from? Law abiding citizens?

"When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns." ...Dads bumper sticker...

I carry, I have never had a permit, nor will I ever apply for one. The people that I know with arsenals, and I'm talking well over 100 firearms, would never register. The theory is that if, or possibly the preferred term is when- our out of control government launches a martial law attack on its people- those who are prepared to protect are the first they'll come to and try and disarm. Many of these people are quite well to do, highly educated, community leaders- and most would never be accused of extremism or being a "militant".

No criminal that we are protecting ourselves from registers, or applies for a permit. Washington DC is a fine example- illegal to own a gun, and no citizen has one, but 99% of the criminal element is packing- armed robberies are commonplace- the people can't defend. Most live in fear.

My question would be that if I am allowed to own a handgun and have it somewhere in my trailer/vehicle/person- for transport- will I get harassed? If I'm traveling in my trailer, is my trailer my home and am I allowed to own a firearm to defend my home?

I normally have one of my shotguns, and a few "hunting" paraphernalia items in my truck. You can't be arrested for having a shotgun, and hunting is pretty much a sport that is allowed in every state. Depending on where I am- I have different stock and barrel configs, folding, riot, etc- and of course the standby AK with a sport stock. Regardless of where I am, I'm usually with a pistol on me or in my truck, loaded and ready and close. I keep a baseball bat, carry dual action automatic knives. I have a gun place and knives hidden on my Harley. The law doesn't protect me or my family from criminals without permits, so why do I need one? I made this choice and know the consequences- I've never been charged regarding a gun, but was harassed at a young age because of a baseball bat- sort of went like this-
"Son, that don't look like a baseball bat for baseball- I think thats a weapon."
"Officer, I enjoy all types of sports- I have a basketball in the trunk- is that a weapon as well?"
"Is this blood on the bat here?"
"Officer, its possibly blood- I do remember a dog that was dying on the side of the road after a car struck it, and I used the bat to help the dog end his pain."
"Son, whats this machete under your seat used for? Clearing out the baseball field?"
"I like to go hiking and exploring in the woods, Officer, and that is what any person who wants to get through a blackberry bramble would use to clear a path..."

He smiled and said I gave him good answers, and he understood me. I spoke with him respectfully and smiled the whole time. Off I went.

I'm almost more worried about the fat donut sucking cop with no understanding of reality carrying a gun, than I am a criminal carrying one. I know and expect the criminals motive, but the repressed and psychotic police officer who has ego and other manifestations controlling his attitude is unpredictable.

My solution is this- love your family, love and enjoy your life, stay healthy and vigilant, everyone carry, everyone respect- no problems!

I've also never even thought of having a cop search my trailer- but watching the transformation of our nation into a police state, I'm sure "itz" coming.
millionairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:50 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Favorite Gun Related Bumper Sticker:

"I Still Miss My Ex-Wife . . .
But My Aim is Getting Better"

(thanks for the educational/informative thread)

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:33 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
This all sounds like the wild west we have going here.I suppose it is in some ways.the right to bear arms is somthing we need to fight for always.Is it necessary to be walking around AZ campgrounds like texas rangers though?

Scott

s
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 07:51 AM   #37
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Thumbs up Personal Protection Law

Here in Minnesoooota, we have a carry law as well. You wouldn't think so to look around except certain establishments have (NO FIREAREMS ALLOWED) signs posted. You can't tell who is carrying or not, (we wear a lot of bulky clothes don't ya know).

In the Twin Cities recently there were two killings of innocent people on the streets by supposed gang members. People remarked how as they all hit the dirt, how many guns came out. Said it made them feel better.

Minnesota Law Enforcement has access to the names of all permit holders. Holders are told that if they are stopped to roll down the window and sit with hands on the steering wheel. If the Officer asks if you have a weapon be honest and tell him where it is. Surveys of police reveal that most Officers are in favor of the law. Those opposed are some Chiefs and elected officials and their fears are mostly political.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:15 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up It was well ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I think if you do a search there was a HUGE discussion on guns and travelling a while back. Lots of info there.
Stefrobrts,
You are so correct..
If one was to re-read this..It covered it all...
Still a huge interest in the subject..
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ht=packing+gun
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:53 AM   #39
Oxblood

2003 34' Classic
Austin , Texas
Thanks for all the helpful posts. SilverRanger's www.packin.org was much appreciated. The Traveler's Guide to Handguns by Kappas is in the RV (I think). And MillionAirstream's stories crack me up.
oxblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 01:56 PM   #40
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy4
In Texas, as in most states, it is illegal to carry a weapon open to public display. Only two states have no restrictions that allow someone to carry an exposed weapon on his person in public. And if you have, in fact, seen someone carrying a side arm in Texas (loaded or not) in public, he was doing so illegally.

Ed
I guess AZ would be one of those states. Only permit required is if the weapon IS concealed. Out in the open is OK with no registration or permit and as long as you are not a person that is a prohibited possessor. And no one is allowed to take guns to a school or to a polling place.

There is no difference if the gun is loaded or not. I believe the assumption is the gun is loaded.

So you may be in AZ at a campsite and have a loaded gun on you or by you as long as it's visible. No requirements for that.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action