Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2017, 07:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome, marcie! The time of year often has a lot to do with what company you have. We have stayed at parks where we were virtually the only ones there, and have been at the same park when nearly every site was occupied. For most places, the busy season is Memorial Day to Labor Day. During that time period you can expect campgrounds to be fairly full. In your area, though, I suspect that your local parks will be less full in July and August.

As for the proximity of sites to each other, remember that if you were to lay out your idea site in a piece of paper and figure out how much land would be required you would soon see why you aren't going to find what you want. Also remember that many recreational vehicles are far larger than your Airstream (think 40+ foot long MH with four slides, plus towed) and most people want their satellite television to work. That requires a clear line of site to the south, so no trees allowed that way. Solar panels are becoming more common, and they require plenty of sun to work.

Don't become discouraged, though. There are places where you can find what you want, you just have to look for them. Seek places that are out of the way (not near a major tourist attraction) and go in the off-season.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:53 PM   #22
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We can't speak to the Southeast, but when your schedule permits, try the Southwest. Much of the desert and range land is public, managed by the Bureau of Land Management. They basically permit dispersed camping anywhere not posted to the contrary, and also maintain some small primitive campgrounds where we have sometimes been the only people there (like Hatch Point south of Moab and the south side of the San Rafael Bridge north of I-70, between Green River and Salina, UT.) We've also dispersed-camped south of Death Valley National Park in the Mojave desert. Death Valley allows dispersed camping in certain areas, as well.

But you would want to brush up on your boondocking skills, notably for desert conditions. No power, water, &c. Just lots of beautiful scenery and solitude.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:56 PM   #23
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Was at a cg in cedar key Florida and a couple with a young child pitched their tent directly next to my truck camper. They had lots of space away from me, they were so close I couldn't walk on that side of the truck. Turns out they were europeans and thought their rudeness was okay. We left the next day so they got two campsites to use.
I understand that in European campgrounds, there is no such thing as a campground being full. People just pile in and find whatever room for themselves they can.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:34 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Volente , Texas
Spotted on Facebook:

"When using a public campground, a tuba placed on your picnic table will keep the campsites on either side vacant"
Old 03-02-2017, 09:14 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Bagpipes.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:21 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
I want to second what Dave, Len and Jeanne, said: if you want privacy, don't go to campgrounds. Instead, dry-camp on public land. That doesn't guarantee you will never have neighbors, but at least they're not likely to be ten or fifteen feet away.

Now, as Len n Jeanne pointed out, this is much easier in the Southwest, where opportunities abound for free camping on BLM and Forest Service land. But you can find opportunities in the east as well. Download the Forest Service MVUMs (Motor Vehicle Use Maps) for your destination areas, and look for dispersed camping.

Yes, you'll need to develop boondocking skills--water conservation, solar power and so on. But it's a great way to RV if you don't want to be cheek by jowl with other campers.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:43 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Some RV parks should be thought of as "motel substitutes." I figure that I'm ten or fifteen feet further away from the folks next door than I would be at a motel, and paying less for the accommodations. Sometimes that's what's needed--sewer hookups, laundry facilities, proximity to somewhere I need to be. Useful, though not ideal.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:48 AM   #28
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We camp in a lot of National Forest Service Campgrounds. Certainly not as remote as boondocking, but "usually" a bit more isolated than a NP or most State Parks. We try to reserve a spot on the outside of a loop as far from the pit toilet as possible. Most NFS Campgrounds at least will have drinking water. With a bit of conservation we find we can go a week without making a trip to a dump station. We can usually see other campers, but not have to listen to their conversations. We also put up a clothesline and hang some towels out to block some viewers from looking into our campsite. I know I sound like a antisocial hermit, but we enjoy the peace and quiet.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:09 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We have been in a few campgrounds for an over-night that the lots were so close we could not deploy the curb side awning. They usually had sewer, water and electricity.

In my experience, the KOA system can really pack them in.

Out West, a little research can lead to nearly isolation at a camp site.

On the long weekend holidays, every commercial place gets jammed.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:11 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
If you like elbow room, I recommend: James M. Robb - Colorado River State Park, just North of Colorado National Monument in Fruita (almost at the Utah border). I guess you'd call the sites pull offs, but they are beautiful, power, water, sewer, picnic table, landscaped, and your neighbor is at least 100' away. They were reasonably priced, but reservations are almost a requirement.
Look on Google Earth and you'll see the layout. Not remote, but spacious.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:35 PM   #31
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
The other thing, when your schedule permits, is to camp more off-season. For example, the campgrounds close to Moab, Utah (i. e., Arches, Canyonlands) are usually really busy in the high season, but we stayed at the BLM's Ken's Lake CG just south of town in late October/early November this past year. The fine weather persisted, and we were one of only a few campers in a large campground.

Up north or up high in elevation, you might have to consider winterizing during the mid-late Autumn or early Spring, and make do with some water-related work-arounds; but crowding shouldn't be a problem.

Of course, some places, notably US Forest Service campgrounds tend to close for the season, but a little investigation can indicate who stays open. Many national parks have at least limited camping available year round for the extra-hardy.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:58 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
1500 looksees in a week. Wow! I can see the popularity of this theme may be up there with rear end separation.

I have an opinion but it has already been stated, several times. so I will keep my mouth shut.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:11 PM   #33

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
From a southeast standpoint one of the nicest campgrounds we have stayed in was at Henderson Beach State Park in Destin Florida. My site was water and electric only but the privacy was the best I've ever had in a Florida Park. Here's some pictures taken in November 2007.

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010074.JPG.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	458.1 KB
ID:	280825   Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010073.jpg.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	525.3 KB
ID:	280826  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010072.JPG.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	545.3 KB
ID:	280827   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010071.JPG.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	503.1 KB
ID:	280828  

AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 02:56 PM   #34
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
1500 looksees in a week. Wow! I can see the popularity of this theme may be up there with rear end separation.

Gosh, I don't think our rear ends are separating.....

Oh, you meant the AS