Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
phone and internet going from USA to Canada

Went to London Ontario recently and had no phone coverage at all.
Was wondering what everyone does for phone and internet when traveling to Canada ?
I have sprint. All help gladly accepted.
Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:24 PM   #2
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo1952 View Post
Went to London Ontario recently and had no phone coverage at all.
Was wondering what everyone does for phone and internet when traveling to Canada ?
I have sprint. All help gladly accepted.

Call your carrier and they can tell you what's best.

CDMA phones (Sprint and Verizon) tend to not work in other countries whereas GSM phones (ATT, T-Mobile) work fine.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:27 PM   #3
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
AT&T should work in Canada; though like everyplace else, there are dead zones.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:28 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2014 19' International
Port Townsend , Washington
Be aware: out of country cellular costs can be huge!! Here in the Pacific NW there is no problem with our AT&T (iPhone) in British Columbia other than the "normal" - cellular coverage in the mountains and backcountry. That said most phone companies have a decent special package for out of the USA usage but sign up or check on it before crossing the border..
LBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
When we were in Canada, I bought a cheap throwaway and a one month package at one of their big grocery stores. My USA provider had nothing for Canada, which I did not find out until I was up there and tried it. Oh, internet was a non-event. WiFi connected me as in the USA.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
You are always best to get a Sim card or phone from the country you are in. Canadian cell phone companies have options just like US cell phone companies do. When I worked in Ireland, Scotland, Germany or any other place I've worked for longer periods I always just find the local cell phone company and see what they have. In the past, before universal phones I usually got a throw away, but now with Sims I get one of those. Although with European phones most of the frequencies are slightly different, but in relation to US and Canadian phones they are similar if not the same. Always check with the new carrier if they are compatible however. Sometimes the hoops you have to jump through to get them switched over isn't worth it, but with modern phones this is less likely.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:49 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Oak Ridge , North Carolina
We have just been told by a Verizon Rep that the regular verizon plan covers Canada and Mexico. We are heading to Canada so I'll check again. Phone reps have sometimes been known to err.
damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:58 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Camano Island , Washington
We have had great coverage with T-Mobile in our travels in Canada and Europe. If I recall properly the are no additional charges in Canada. Call T-Mobile to confirm.
Camano20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
No different from we Canucks going to the US. We have to arrange for roaming coverage with our provider. Otherwise you get a message requiring your Credit Card. Roaming without an arrangement with your provider gets really expensive...both ways! Never had a compatibility issue with either of our phones over 14 years One a dinosaur flip phone the other an i-Phone
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:03 PM   #10
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Going from Canada to the US, we've typically purchased a travel pac on just one of our phones using our own service provider, on the grounds that we can do most of our calls and texts on the one phone; and with limited data roaming. It generally costs around $40-50 per month in addition to our usual bill. Then we wait for Wi-Fi coverage for the Internet, unless it's something fairly important like checking on severe storm warnings on the road ahead.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:27 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Perry , Georgia
We have Sprint and have traveled in Europe with no problems.
They now have no roaming charge difference as you change countries and I do not recall the actual cents per minute for cell service. It was not bad at all.
Just call customer service and they will explain the plan and set you up. They will also provide the info to make changes in your phone setup so it will work.
Our Iphone and Android both worked great.

John
J-K Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
I purposely bought as my current phone an "unlocked" phone that uses sim cards. It came setup for ATT but will work on any network that uses sims. Phone has good enough frequency coverage that it will work in most countries. I buy a sim card in the destination country and plug it in. Generally a lot cheaper than home country roaming, but I do get a different phone number. Just remember, don't store your contacts on the sim card!!

FWIW, if you are out of your warranty period, most phones can be unlocked. Internet search will who how to do it.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Our Verizon plan includes Canada for phone and data, but you have to tell them before you get there to start that coverage. It costs $2.00/day additional. If you don't notify them and add the coverage ahead of time, you'll pay int'l rates. Worked for us last year.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:07 PM   #14
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Check out this article by Leo Laporte, "The Tech Guy":

http://techguylabs.com/episodes/1368...-phone-iceland

And this website: http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.c..._SIM_with_data

Leo usually has pretty good advice. You can view that episode of Leo's show in a day or two. I think they have to embargo it for a couple days because it's a radio program. Lots of great advice from him and his crew.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:47 PM   #15
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
with Rogers AT&T in Canada we get our full plan in the USA for an extra $5 per day... pay for a max of 10 days and the rest of the billing period is free .... so if your billing period is the first of the month and you enter say the 2nd you pay $50 until the 12th and the rest of the month is free. Its great as you have your existing number etc... Its not bad for a week or a month visit any more than that and I would buy a local Chip and us a local plan.
In Mexico I get a TelMex chip and I get 28 days unlimited calling/text in Mexico...Canada and the USA plus I think its 600mb of data for $150p = $7us ....cant beat that!!!
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:17 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Verizon is advertising their unlimited data plan with voice to also include Canada and Mexico. We no longer go to either country so not sure, but you might want to check it out.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #17
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
Our Verizon plan includes Canada for phone and data, but you have to tell them before you get there to start that coverage. It costs $2.00/day additional. If you don't notify them and add the coverage ahead of time, you'll pay int'l rates. Worked for us last year.
We did the same thing, made two trips to Canada in 2016, had a great time and spend about $20 extra for phone service.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote