Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
California State Park Reductions

Here is a summary by campround of the service reductions to the California State Park system. Most are spared closure but there are service reductions and campround loop closures.

http://imgs.sfgate.com/g/acrobat/2009/10/27/CA_State_Parks_Svc.pdf

More detailed information on the service reductions by particular region can be found here, although they don't have all regions listed yet.

October 2009 News Release

I hear there is talk of a ballot measure that will add a $15 fee to the Vehicle License Fee (VLF) that would go to parks. I wish they would just raise the user fees to make them cost neutral or turn the parks management over to a parks management contractor like California Lands Management.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Ponderay , Idaho
Unhappy

Thanks for posting this, what a bummer. It looks like reduced cleaning is almost across the board, something that was barely adequate to begin with. Did you know that in Oregon they use ALL their lottery money for the state parks? (There parks are wonderful btw.) I wonder where our lottery money goes?
Tincrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
According to Education FAQ

1.6% Game costs
2.9% Operating expenses
7.0% Retailer commissions and bonuses
34.6% contributions to public education
53.9% prizes awarded to winners
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincrew View Post
T I wonder where our lottery money goes?
That was a rhetorical question, right?
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I believe one solution would be for the state to reorganize the Dept of Boating and Waterways into a dept. to encompass both Boating AND Camping (RV) facilities...

The Dept of Boating has always been able to function and fund marine activities in the State of Calif totally with proceeds from boat registrations (and facility use fees)...in fact the State Govt has tried to 'rob' them of funds to use in the general fund...

If a part of an RV's annual registration fee (say $5 like boats) were to go into the new Boating and Camping 'Dept', there would most likely be more than enough revenue to keep the State's marinas and campgrounds up and running on a grand scale!

Along with fees at the facilities for usage, this would be a true pay-as-you-go operation with plenty of money for expansion, etc., as well!

This whole 'reduction' of State Park services is a ruse designed to 'whip' the public into a tizzy so our legislators can find justification for new and increased fees and taxes on we citizens!

Why don't they 'whittle' down some of the State's top heavy, unnecessary bureaucracy - some 'cut backs' in that area would realize mega dollars saved, if they just had the integrity to tackle the task - how about looking at the huge retirement packages 'handed' out to state employees, and 'double-dippers' that are allowed to collect multiple pensions with minimum time spent on the job??

The State of California is so large, that it 'feeds' on itself, with mega $'s spent on administration at all levels, so that too much of the revenue is used up before it can get to the end user or service it's intended to provide...

As a native of California, living here for almost 70 years, I've never seen the State and it's 'services' in such bad shape...it seems everyone wants 'their' piece of the 'action' (especially non-citizens!), but it's getting to the point where we non-Govt employed 'citizens' are being squeezed to the breaking point! I, for one, and getting tired of the State's Govt entities misusing my tax and fee contributions - and am seriously looking to moving elsewhere - the only 'relief' I can see that I can accomplish on my own!

Bah, Humbug...
Old 10-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
California State Parks needs to find its own funding source. As it is now, ALL the fees collected go back into the State General Fund. Parks then must depend upon the State Legislature to fund their operation and maintenance. Even if the State Parks Department was allowed to "keep" the $$$ collected in camping & day use fees, that wouldn't even come close to meeting the funding needs of parks.

The Department of Fish & Game funding comes from several sources, one of which is a small tax levied on all hunting and fishing equipment sold within the State. Perhaps, a similar set-up could be used on the sale of hiking boots, camping equipment....maybe even trailers and motorhomes!

The California State Parks Foundation is discussing a possible ballot measure to add an assessment to each vehicle registered in California. At least we would know where that money is being spent! There are currently assessments on my vehicle registration that I have no idea where it's going or how it's being spent.

I would like to see State Parks get on a firm financial footing. Perhaps, then, they would start upgrading some of their campgrounds and even build new ones that meet the needs of the RV community as well as the tent camping community....similar to Oregon's beautiful, well-run and maintained parks!

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 10-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
I completely agree with MexRay. California is the highest tax state in the country as of Last Feb. We don't need additional burdens in this economy. There is too much waist in Sacramento. The monies just dont get to where they are needed. Sadly
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
I completely agree with MexRay. California is the highest tax state in the country as of Last Feb. We don't need additional burdens in this economy. There is too much waist in Sacramento. The monies just dont get to where they are needed. Sadly
True....however, many of the states you might be comparing us to have much higher property tax....they are not "burdened" by the restrictions of Prop 13. I am not denying that taxes here are high, but what we pay in State tax is nothing compared to what we pay in Federal tax.

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 10-28-2009, 10:14 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Nov. 1st

I happened to phone the Anza Borrego State Park today and actually spoke with a live human being. I was told that they were going back to Reserve America reservations on November 1st. This will open a 7 month window that will run until May. For those who care...most of the California State Campgrounds stopped accepting reservations a few months ago because of the budget. I think it was BS. If anything the state must make more money if the campgrounds are either full or the reservations are full.

I didn't check Reserve America for the other campgrounds, but according to their website Anza Borrego State Park reservations open on Sunday. The reservation system stayed the same for most of the popular state camping beaches and a few other popular forest campgrounds. (Like Big Basin).

Randy Bowman
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OB Bambi View Post
I happened to phone the Anza Borrego State Park today and actually spoke with a live human being. I was told that they were going back to Reserve America reservations on November 1st. This will open a 7 month window that will run until May. For those who care...most of the California State Campgrounds stopped accepting reservations a few months ago because of the budget. I think it was BS. If anything the state must make more money if the campgrounds are either full or the reservations are full.

I didn't check Reserve America for the other campgrounds, but according to their website Anza Borrego State Park reservations open on Sunday. The reservation system stayed the same for most of the popular state camping beaches and a few other popular forest campgrounds. (Like Big Basin).

Randy Bowman
Thanks, Randy....good to know, as I hope to stay there for a couple weeks again this spring (we missed last spring).

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 10-28-2009, 10:55 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Ponderay , Idaho
I checked into a reservation at San Clemente earlier this month and it was $65 a night! We went to Las Vegas instead.

BTW, didn't they just DOUBLE our already high vehicle registration fees? They have been able to get around the prop 13 with the Mello Roos taxes, most homes built in the last 10-15 years are paying a much higher property tax rate.

Very frustrating!

Leslie
Tincrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincrew View Post
I checked into a reservation at San Clemente earlier this month and it was $65 a night! We went to Las Vegas instead.

Leslie
I think they have assigned the term "premium" to some of the more sought-after campsites, and they are $55-65/night + reservation fee. Most of the campsites are $25-35/night, and a few $45/night. Of course, now the private campgrounds will increase their rates! Pretty soon, it will be cheaper to stay at a B&B....but, I would much rather wake up inside my Airstream

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU