Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2020, 05:52 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
For you seasoned AS travelers, what would your basic tool box/emergency kit look like? .
Apparently quite a few people keep beer, wine and their wife in the emergency kit. That kind of reminds me of the joke about locking your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car.

But as to your actual question. I'm a chronic do it yourself guy but on the road it's hard to have everything you need. That's what my shop is for. I have an old three drawer Craftsman tool box that is a pretty complete tool set. 1/4, 3/8, 1/2" socket sets, open end wrenches and a big tray on top for my selection of other tools. In that tray I keep a good selection of screw drivers, wire cutters, adjustable wrench, pliers, extended magnet. needle nose pliers, mirror, gorilla tape. Must have torque wrench with sockets and extensions. Led flash lights. Fuses and wire connectors along with a crimper. Gloves and rags.

The reality is no matter how much of a do it yourself person you are you just can't plan on all situations. For those occasions I travel with roadside assistance and tow insurance along with a credit card. Pretty much anything you could possibly need is available on the road and a few dollars can solve the issue. I do my best to plan my breakdowns to happen at home close to the pole barn and shop. On the road I improvise.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:49 AM   #22
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
KPFATE said it best;
BEER
Yup.....if things just don't work the way you thought, sit back, pop a beer, think it over and guess what....either it works or drink another or two and it won't matter.
lol!
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:00 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Corona , CA
There are a couple things that can be used for many purposes; Duct tape, Aluminum foil.
Other things; camping nesting pots and pans, scissors, small sewing kit, first aid kit, two quart bags filled with ice cubes right into your freezer for drinks and temp check. Alarm on your key chain that can blow your truck horn and lights if someone comes up on you in a non friendly manner. You will think of things as you travel and everything you need is at a local store on the road. Have fun
Uke player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:32 PM   #24
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
The two tools I use every day for one thing or another is a good quality rechargeable flashlight, and EMT shears.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:20 AM   #25
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
The two tools I use every day for one thing or another is a good quality rechargeable flashlight, and EMT shears.
Trauma Shears are a must! We have plenty of spares that we keep on hand!
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:56 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Seattle , Washington
Basic Items for the Road

Our home is an ocean going power boat so I’ve had lots of practice going from a VERY large home garage to a small space but am always aware that I can’t visit a hardware store if I’m a couple of days from the nearest port and a breakdown can be a really big problem. So here is my thought process before a new tool/ repair supply comes into the trailer: 1) where will it be stored (or does some other tool need to be jettisoned to make space?); 2) how far do I expect to be from the nearest hardware store if it is a very specialized item?; is it a multi function tool or multi function supply or if not then is it “mission critical “ ; I enjoy working with my hands and fixing things - will it provide enough enjoyment to support it taking space?

Some items that see daily use (beyond normal screwdrivers, hammers, etc) includes several Milwaukee brand (I find Milwaukee tools to be pretty much “bomb proof”) power tools that all use one size of rechargeable battery (including a hand vac), as previously mentioned a telescoping ladder that lives in the truck, a good pair of lineman’s pliers that includes a wire stripper and crimper, extra general purpose wire and marine grade crimp fittings with shrink tubing ( I buy in lots of 100 from Fisheries Supply in Seattle and find the Ancor brand devices are generally worth the extra costs), a multimeter, and a good quality pop rivet tool (and a rivnut tool that I needed when a cabinet started to fall).

PS I love a good hardware store almost as much as good coffee!

Norman
ncgregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:27 AM   #27
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
I think Norman nailed the response.
Photobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:28 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
2018 25' International
Chino Hills , California
Congratulations ! Welcome to the community. Airstreams are wonderful. The Real Silver lining is the people you’ll meet on the journey.
1-Smokeless grill 2-Insta pot 3-wine 4- 2 steaks 5-2 Lafuma Chairs . Let the adventure begin. What’s her name? See you down the road neighbor you’re always Home in the an Airstream. Safe travels.
Luke Grisott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:24 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
Hastings , Michigan
Keurig mini, induction cook top, and we love our portable water softener.
McKeown835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 02:33 PM   #30

Currently Looking...
North Potomac , MD
Doctor's recommendation for things to take along

first-aid manual
• sterile gauze pads of different sizes
• adhesive tape
• adhesive bandages in several sizes
• elastic bandage
• a splint
• antiseptic wipes
• soap (I bought a travel purel)
• antibiotic ointment
• antiseptic solution (like hydrogen peroxide)
• hydrocortisone cream (1%)
• acetaminophen and ibuprofen
• extra prescription medications (such as Dramamine because I cannot go on a boat or ride without it!!)
• tweezers
• sharp scissors
• safety pins
• disposable instant cold packs
• calamine lotion
• alcohol wipes or ethyl alcohol
• thermometer
• plastic non-latex gloves (at least 2 pairs)
• mini flashlight and extra batteries I also put a mini magnifying glass because sometime you cant even see the splinter!)
• mouthpiece for administering CPR (can be obtained from your local Red Cross or Milford Hospital will give you one)
first-aid manual
• sterile gauze pads of different sizes
• adhesive tape
• adhesive bandages in several sizes
• elastic bandage
• a splint
• antiseptic wipes
• soap (I bought a travel purel)
• antibiotic ointment
• antiseptic solution (like hydrogen peroxide)
• hydrocortisone cream (1%)
• acetaminophen and ibuprofen
• extra prescription medications (such as Dramamine because I cannot go on a boat or ride without it!!)
• tweezers
• sharp scissors
• safety pins
• disposable instant cold packs
• calamine lotion
• alcohol wipes or ethyl alcohol
• thermometer
• plastic non-latex gloves (at least 2 pairs)
• mini flashlight and extra batteries I also put a mini magnifying glass because sometime you cant even see the splinter!)
• mouthpiece for administering CPR (can be obtained from your local Red Cross or Milford Hospital will give you one)
mmfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 03:35 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Manchester , New Hampshire
First remember you can always stop at a super Walmart on the way if you forgot something. They have everything from wine to RV waste water hoses. I like to bring a few pieces of 2*6 wood. In case the campsite isn’t level, the stabilizer or jack would be in mud, or I need another tire chock etc. KOA puts out a map/brochure that lists all their sites. This can be handy when the RV resort isn’t quite what you expected or you need to find a place while in route.
Steven62 is offline   Reply With Quote