Old 09-27-2020, 07:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Winder , Georgia
Basic Items for the Road

Hello everyone,
We pick up our new 2021 AS International in Mid Nov. In the meantime I am trying to organize gear, acquire what we need, etc. for our new camping adventures. We are not fulltimers, just weekend and some weeklong trips for now. We will be first time ASers, but we did camp years ago with other style trailers when we were younger. So one thing I learned from before was you can quickly accumulate way too much junk in trucks/trailers that you really don't need. This time storage capacity and weight will be more of a consideration for me. I now opt for being more prepared for the 'issues' when (not if) that happen on the road, vs. just novelty camping gadgets that will rarely, if ever get used. (example- we used to carry enough cooking supplies to cook for entire campground , not this time)
So my question is this:
For you seasoned AS travelers, what would your basic tool box/emergency kit look like? I carry In my truck always the basic socket set/screwdrivers/tire changing stuff, etc. So outside of that, what do you guys suggest as a minimum? I know Airstreams are different in their construction, fittings, etc so this is one of the main reasons I'm asking This list can include spare parts, etc. We are not boondockers(yet) so no need to include those kind of supplies for now.

As always, Thanks for the responses.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I do not carry anything special other then fuses, water filter, a small portable power drill I use to lower the stabilizers and of course my air pump and surge protector
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
As for cooking I do bring both a grill and a portable induction stove top (I actually prefer to use it over the stove and my grill). I also have led coffee grinder and coffee pot along with two or three pans
Old 09-27-2020, 07:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
That should be Ledo
Old 09-27-2020, 07:57 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Cleveland , Ohio
Wine
matthewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:58 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Prosper , Texas
Howdy

KYD has a great list of stuff that they have used. Search KYD > Amazon. Not affiliated, just like their condensed list and the ease of Amazon shopping.

I think of what to buy in terms of what do I need to do. For instance, what do I need to change a tire on a dark and stormy night ... vests, triangles, impact wrench, tire change ramp, etc.

What oddball electrical (or water) dilemma could I be faced with... what adapters, hoses, etc.

How can I prevent disasters.... air compressor, tire monitoring.

Hope this helps!
Octane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:07 AM   #7
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
CHEYENNE , WY
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
Wine
Beer... I like beer.
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:12 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
I have a rather comprehensive list of what we take while Airstreaming. If you would like a copy, contact me at: sgraner@aol.com
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:18 AM   #9
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
I bring my wife ... Oh yes and wine ... lots of wine also a small tool box with some tools and a drill to lower/raise the stabilizers
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:40 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Volente , Texas
I have a 27FB with the queen bed. It had two large sterilite totes under the bed. I removed one and replaced it with a toolbox large enough to carry anything needed for auto type repairs. Make sure you carry whatever sockets or wrenches are needed for your hitch.

Also, throw in a 12V battery charger. If you ever lose the 12V converter on a trip, you can hook up the battery charger to keep the batteries topped off, and hopefully salvage your trip. Lots of things run off of 12V.

And not really a tool, but Harbor Freight sells the BEST rubber wheel chocks.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:53 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Buy a copy of "The (nearly) Complete Guide to Airstream Maintenance" by Rich Luhr. Page 11 is the opening chapter called "Your Tool Kit." I outfitted myself with all the items on his list (pages 13 and 14). It has stood me in good stead.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:36 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Ione , CA
What others have mentioned is great. Additional:

Since our towing vehicle is a truck, I prefer to bring a rolling floor jack. Is much better for trailer issues than the standard emergency jack in the truck. Also, if you have tandem axles, bring a drive-on ramp (actually can be a tilt drive-on leveling too but make sure to bring a plank for it to sit on).

Gorilla brand duct tape is really handy if a window clamp, panel slippage, etc. happens.

Bulk container of zip ties. Several lengths.

Power drill. Hand rivet gun. 5/32" and 11/64" drill bits. Bag of Olympic rivets. Head shaving attachment for drill. Just in case (you'll use less duct tape if you can fix it right on the trip).

40' of rope. 3/8" or 5/16" dia. Don't get it at a home distributor. Go to a marine store (like West Marine) and get dacron cored rope. Much higher strength for same weight. It will eventually come in very handy if you need to access top of trailer, tie down things, etc.
Trowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:27 PM   #13
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
Two things.

A good torque wrench and spanner.
A Telesteps ladder.
Photobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Silicone spray lube (not WD40 which can etch aluminum).
3M heavy duty packing tape (can replace duct tape in many situations and leaves much less residue, important on shiny aluminum).
A cell phone and a credit card or 2.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:17 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Oriental , North Carolina
These ideas aren’t gear, but over many years of trailering (Almost 1 AS!) I have found them useful:
- digital/ online copies ( I now use Dropbox) of important documents like insurance, drivers license, dog health and rabies, health care power of attorney, medicines, etc.
- magnetic key holders holding duplicate trailer and car keys.
- a card w my cell phone number in my wallet. (There is a story...)

In the gear department, I’d add epoxy putty and a few hose clamps to the list.
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:21 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2020 16' Caravel
Oriental , North Carolina
And self annealing tape
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:16 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Lots of quarters for the laundromats. Ant bait. Gorilla Tape. Gallons of good bottled water to make coffee every morning. A small floor jack with several 2x6 and 4x4 wood blocks in the event you have a flat tyre or the electric jack fails. A 20A cheater plug just in case you need to plug into a duplex outlet and charge the coach batteries or run just the microwave or fridge.
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:28 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
I have a small, clear shoebox-sized container half full of “trailer tools”—things you need to tighten, fix, or install stuff inside the trailer. Not just trailer stuff—things like eyeglasses and toys and so forth. It’s supplemented with a similar size container called “sticky”—tapes, glues, velcro, etc. These live in the trailer and it’s not a lot of stuff at all. In the exterior front compartment I have tools for docking and undocking—ratcheting wrenches for the x-chocks, the breaker bar and socket for the propride. That’s it.

In the truck I have two stackable Dewalt type toolboxes, both small. The top one contains the cordless drill, impact driver, charger, and batteries. The bottom one has a more substantial toolkit but again, nothing huge—your standard household kit. These stay towards the rear gate of the truck bed and make it easy to use the gate as a working surface. Also in the truck, under the rear seat—air compressor, tow strap, axe, torque wrench and breaker bar and LED safety lights.

The only other thing I’d say is if you’re just a weekender or if you take trips to fairly civilized places, you really don’t need much. Drop the trailer and go to a hardware or automotive store for anything you need. Last year I took the trailer to Alaska, and that trip passes through some very, very remote places. So I had a large-ish cargo container (think Rubbermaid/roughneck size) called “Just In Case” in the back of the truck bed with critical spares and tools—stuff that you need to get you to civilization or to spend a night, possibly after some road trouble in the middle of nowhere awaiting help (things like a soldering kit, extra water heater board, roof tape, lot bar for the propride, etc.). I did end up using stuff in it for some repairs. But I don’t take that container on other trips — it lives in the garage with the Airstream.

My guidance would be to bring as little as possible and as much as you need to make you feel comfortable and confident. These phrases will mean something different to everyone—for some people it’s going to be a whole extra trailer and for others it’ll be just a credit card and a cell phone. The spirit of this is to say don’t go getting a bunch of stuff just because others put it on a list. You’ll know soon enough, even through weekend trips, what it means for you.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
That should be Ledo
Or maybe Lido?
Old 09-28-2020, 05:37 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas