Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Banff and Jasper National Parks in Canada

I thank others that posted their Banff-Jasper observations. I too wish to post the highlights of my very recent Banff-Jasper camping trip for other travelers to consider.
Canada’s Glacier NP: Illecillewaet campground, small campground, small campsites, but beautiful rushing stream alongside the campground.
Jasper NP: Maligne Lake was not as interesting as we expected. But the view from the north shore of Pyramid Lake/Island just 4km. north of Jasper was fantastic.
Banff NP: Waterfowl Lakes campground is dirty due to poor gravel interior road and high speed of the campers, but the stream at the back of the campground is heaven as is the lake on the north edge of the campground. Lake Louise is a must, but be prepared for the hoards of people. Lake Moraine is a must and with far fewer people. Be sure to take the south trail up into the rocks overlooking the lake. At Lake Louise consider camping in the tent campground if you pull 25 feet or less. It is the prettiest of the Lake Louise campgrounds and the farthest from the numerous trains that come thru during the night. Between the trailer and tent campgrounds runs Bow River, a beautiful sight to hike along. Also a must see is Johnston Canyon between Lake Louise and Banff. Campground is nice, paved interior roads. Johnston Canyon is eye-poppin…….
The jewel of Canada…..Not much publicity, but well known and recommended by the locals: Peter Lougheed Provincial Park. As beautiful as Banff or Jasper NP. Very few people. Located down Route 40 about 2 hours southeast of Banff. Camp at the Interlakes campground, in the back, on the edge of the lake, looking eastward across lake, valley, and up into the tall 9-10,000 foot mountains. Hike along the edge of the other large lake in the park. We were told the drive up gravel road to Canmore is fantastic but we did not take this side trip.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Thanks!

I am planning a caravan for next summer to that area and this info will help!
Thanks again
59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Lake Louise

Thanks for the info on Banff & Lake Louise. We were married at Lake Louise several years ago and plan to go back with our AS in a year or two. I know campgrounds change over time, but it is good to know something about them before we get there.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Longview , Washington
When you mention pulling 25 feet or less for the tent campground, are you talking about the overall length or the stated length of the trailer? I would like to stay there with my 25 foot safari, but was worried that it would be too long. Thanks for the info.

Matt
msmst25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Sorry to reply late. You are welcome to check with the park by email. I was referring to the length of the towed unit. But we saw many 'tent' sites where the pad was quite long. The tent area is very pretty, compared to the 'trailer' area. And there were trailers in the tent area. Enjoy.

If you have a chance check out the Peter Lougheed Provincial Park to the south east of Banff. We stayed in the campsites at the far rear of the park, right on the lake. Absoultely beautiful.