Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Squarestream > All Squarestream Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2010, 06:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Yerington , Nevada
1986 Argosy Collision Damage

Hi, I am new to the forums. My parents bought a 1986 32' Argosy in October 1985 and only used it several times. It had been stored in a garage and everything was in excellent condition. I acquired it last month and took it for its first camp out in 11 years to test everything out. On the way home I was stopped at an intersection at a stop sign and I got rear ended by a teenager just graduated from high school. the rear bumper was smashed and 2 rear body panels were bent. I checked the airstream website which referred me to Paramount RV repair in Reno NV which is a certified Airstream repair center. I got the call today that the damage estimate is $11,000.00 and state farm values the trailer at $900.00 I am really sick about this. I haven't even owned the trailer a week when this happened. before deciding to keep the trailer for my self I listed the trailer on craig's list for over $7000.00 and the phone rang off the hook. while cleaning out my parents personal effects I realized what a nice trailer it was and that the asking price was way too low. Then the accident...........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1986Argosy 32 feet ser 1ABJAJS23GJ200142.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	473.0 KB
ID:	105177   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1896.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	305.8 KB
ID:	105178  

squareboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
$900?? I guess that the ins. co. is protecting their interests...I cant blame them for that. Maybe you could get several independant appraisals from trailer dealers...due to its age AND condition, its fair market value is consideralby more than a well-used trailer of the same vintage... ahh, kids and cars!
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by squareboat View Post
Hi, I am new to the forums. My parents bought a 1986 32' Argosy in October 1985 and only used it several times. It had been stored in a garage and everything was in excellent condition. I acquired it last month and took it for its first camp out in 11 years to test everything out. On the way home I was stopped at an intersection at a stop sign and I got rear ended by a teenager just graduated from high school. the rear bumper was smashed and 2 rear body panels were bent. I checked the airstream website which referred me to Paramount RV repair in Reno NV which is a certified Airstream repair center. I got the call today that the damage estimate is $11,000.00 and state farm values the trailer at $900.00 I am really sick about this. I haven't even owned the trailer a week when this happened. before deciding to keep the trailer for my self I listed the trailer on craig's list for over $7000.00 and the phone rang off the hook. while cleaning out my parents personal effects I realized what a nice trailer it was and that the asking price was way too low. Then the accident...........
Ask for a "written" estimate, and then post it.

I certainly don't see $11,000.00 worth of damage.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Yerington , Nevada
I sent an email requesting the written estimate since I am still reeling from the phone call yesterday. also I want to correct the earlier statement about state farm , it was the NADA valuation that valued it at $900.00 but that the insurance companies refer their valuations to in part. I haven't heard what State farm (the insurance company of the one who rear ended me) will do yet. I will post the quote when I get it.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Yerington , Nevada
quote for argosy rear end collision damage

Well, here is the quote for the damage to my trailer, laundry bill not included. The damage is the rear bumper rear middle panel, rear storage door, left rear lower curved panel. the interior looks ok except that the double bed frame was pushed slightly out of alingment. The rear lower left corner panel is still available from airstream, the other pieces are flat sheet aluminum and have to be hand crafted, the rear utility door has to be hand crafted. The rear bumper has to be adapted from another model trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quote1.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	105300   Click image for larger version

Name:	quote2.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	105301  

Old 06-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by squareboat View Post
Well, here is the quote for the damage to my trailer, laundry bill not included. The damage is the rear bumper rear middle panel, rear storage door, left rear lower curved panel. the interior looks ok except that the double bed frame was pushed slightly out of alingment. The rear lower left corner panel is still available from airstream, the other pieces are flat sheet aluminum and have to be hand crafted, the rear utility door has to be hand crafted. The rear bumper has to be adapted from another model trailer.
OK - with a Squarestream Argosy, I thought they were fiberglass - in that case find your nearest BOAT Repair facility and have them fix the fiberglass. If Aluminum, get a dentless body repair man out and straighten as much as possible, then because yours is PAINTED, use bondo to cover the remaining dimples and repaint.

The bumper? A GOOD repair shop with proper metal working tools can bend that back into original shape... if a piece didn't break off... looking at left side..?.

Do a "Search" here and look for Colaw's RV Salvage. Used part heaven!

Good luck. I think with some creativity you can get the repairs done for considerably less than $2K.

Paula
Old 06-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Even with the bent bumper and minor body damage, it looks like it's a beautiful trailer.

Get it fixed, and get back on the road! Whatever doesn't get completely buffed out will be a character mark.
"I nostri cuori e le menti appartengono al flusso d'aria"
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
That bumper is the same on 70's and 80's airstream - it's still available from the factory - yours is just painted instead of aluminum finish.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I would get another estimate, if at all possible from a vintage friendly Airstream Dealer or at least a shop that has worked on Airstreams. I am not completely familiar with the Squarestreams, but it seems to me that any high end RV repair facility (think Prevost, Newmar, ect) should be able to give you a quote. I am sure there are some AS specific parts but the labor and techniques should be similar to other types of trailers, less metal work and more fiberglass.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:33 AM   #10
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
I insured mine for an agreed value, I know that's not a slam dunk but it helps.

That's not 11K in damage, you need to get a true value on replacement value.

Another thing you can do is hire a Public Adjuster, you pay them 5-10% and let them do the leg work against the insurance co.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
There is a lot of good advice listed above. I would add that you should challenge the insurance quote. Insurance companies have the practice of throwing out unbelievably low numbers in hopes that the person simply accepts the claim.

We had an older VW totaled at a stop sign when rear ended and then pushed into the car in front. It was an older car but in exceptional shape. I challenged the claim, had the car examined and settled for 4 times the original quote. I would say give this a try.

Beautiful trailer by the way.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
also have you contacted the kids insurance co? the kids parents? you can sue him / his family for the balance, but the lawyers fees might get costly. was he over 18?
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:19 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Yerington , Nevada
Well, I need to find the current market value on a 1986 32' Trailer in pristine condition in order to find any relief from the insurance company claim that it is only worth $900.00 does anyone know of any comparable trailers having sold recently?
Old 06-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Yerington , Nevada
I have found 2 "squarestreams" for sale on the net, one in Arizona an '87 32' Argosy without an awning and has a single door, for $8,000 & one in Minnesota an '89 33' Airstream for just under $10,000. Went to Reno to see my trailer at the shop yesterday. it is not merely the sheet aluminum that needs to be replaced but the aluminum channel framing that support the outside skin & door frame that needs to be rebuilt as well, especially around the rear storage compartment door. The door itself is no longer available but a similar sized Airstream door with 2 latches can be substituted. The rear bumper is unavailable but an Airstream bumper can be used but its shorter by about 5" to 6" each side since the "squarestream" was wider than the regular Airstream line. fortunately the left rear corner panel is still available but the rear center panel is not and would have to be sent down to Los Angeles to a fabrication shoop to have a duplicate panel made. looking at the "squarestream" registry it appears that only about 1300 total were made between 1986 & 1992 both Airstream & Argosy it could be only 1200 if the serial number of the first one started at 200100 ( the lowest one in the registry is 200110). Mine is 200142. So there is not a large pool of "Squarestreams" to start with.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Yerington , Nevada
Got my Argosy back from the shop this week. We went plan "B" and straightened out the existing panel although there is still a crease behind the license plate. The back storage door was replaced with A regular Airstream item with 2 lock assemblies instead of the original Argosy that had 1 lock assembly in the center. So does it make it an "Airgosy?" All in all it looks presentable again.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
That's not a dent - it's a love tap!

I think you just need to re-evaluate your insurance now, and work on an agreed value. You already had it confirmed the policy you have is basically worthless...