Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2017, 10:34 PM   #1

1972 Argosy 26
Polson , Montana
Newby question about tongue weight.

I just bought a 72 argosy 26. It's been gutted. The original specs say it has a tongue weight of 520lbs. Would this be the weight if it was fully loaded? Does the fact it is gutted mean the tongue weight is lower? There is not a lot of concrete info about argosy specs that I can find. Thanks!
Lordticklish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:02 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Newby question about tongue weight.

Greetings Lordticklish!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Argosy Ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordticklish View Post
I just bought a 72 argosy 26. It's been gutted. The original specs say it has a tongue weight of 520lbs. Would this be the weight if it was fully loaded? Does the fact it is gutted mean the tongue weight is lower? There is not a lot of concrete info about argosy specs that I can find. Thanks!
The published figures are for the basic trailer with all fixtures, but empty water, waste and LP tanks. It does not include such options as awnings, rock guards, segment protectors, spare tire, etc. The typical Airstream or Argosy typically is slightly heavier both in empty trailer weight as well as hitch weight than published in the various official sources. It would be difficult to estimate the hitch weight of your gutted coach.

My 1964 Overlander is very comparable in size and had quite comparable factory weights to your 1972 Argosy 26, and its loaded ready for travel weights are as follows: trailer weight 6,100 pounds hitch weight 750 pounds. My Overlander does have patio and window awnings as well as optional 40 pound LP tanks. By watchin how I pack, I can get the trailer weight down to 6,000 pounds.

I am sure that you will enjoy your Argosy! The 26 foot size is a nice compromise between towability and overall length.

Kevin

P.S.: Hitch Weight is typically considered to be optimum when kept to between 10% and 15% of the loaded trailer's weight.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:22 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard

IMHO.....it's best to measure the TW with a scale made for the job. Instructions in the link.

Hitch weight is the weight of the tongue on the ball with WD set. (receiver weight)
Our Classic loaded for camping has a receiver weight of 840lbs.

200lbs of the 1200lb tongue weight to the tow vehicle front axle & 160lbs back the the AS axles.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2e1.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	519.7 KB
ID:	293780  
Old 09-01-2017, 07:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Tongue weight, hitch weight, receiver weight, weight added to tow vehicle with and without weight distribution set. Perhaps the least standardized set of terms you'll find in bumper-pull trailering.

Ask anyone and you'll get a different answer most of the time. For example, Airstream lists "hitch weight" in their trailer spec's, then in their Owners Manual explains how to measure "tongue weight" by placing a scale under the tongue jack.

Great, except the trailer "tongue weight" you just measured may be 100-200 lbs heavier than the weight actually placed on the tow vehicle hitch ball. Because different positions on the trailer tongue will show different weights. Not to mention the trailer must be absolutely level each time or the weight measured will not be accurate.

So if you want to know what Airstream calls "hitch weight", I would guess you should place the scale under the tongue jack, and figure it should be 10% to 15% of loaded trailer weight. If you want to know what weight your loaded trailer puts on the hitch receiver ball, weigh it at the hitch coupler. If you want to know what weight the loaded trailer puts on your tow vehicle, weigh your truck at a CAT scale before hooking up, and then again after hooked up with your weight distribution set and look at the difference.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
By dkottum:
trailer weight. If you want to know what weight your loaded trailer puts on the hitch receiver ball, weigh it at the hitch coupler. If you want to know what weight the loaded trailer puts on your tow vehicle, weigh your truck at a CAT scale before hooking up, and then again after hooked up with your weight distribution set and look at the difference.

Usually my AS weighs in at about 7000 +lbs. and the whole rig at about 13,000 and change. I'm allowed Max.16,100 lbs. (or 16,900, depending on which column I read.)
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:50 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Let's back off a little.

Why are you asking? Are you trying to move the gutted trailer? If so, there are a *lot* of questions to ask / issues to check, some of which are way more significant than tongue weight. For one time tongue weight, grab a kitchen scale and a 2x4 ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote