Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #1

Vintage Kin Owner
englewood , Colorado
My Dream Trailer...But Overwhelmed

I'm new here. I recently bought a 1966 Streamline Countess. It needs some things replaced before it is ready to go. I feel in over my head and having a hard time finding info on the internet. Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.

She Needs:

1. Waste Holding Tank (didn't have one, can't find dimensions or even volume) I called rvsurplus.net, hoping they may keep a database from past customers of some sort, but no luck.

2. Water Heater (again, it had been removed) BUT I Bought one (hopefully not a pricey mistake), a Girard tankless. Anyone have experience with these (good question prior to $590 expenditure, maybe, although i did do a fair amount of research).

There's much more, but I'll leave it at that for now. I think I am going to have to become a jack of all trades here, but that's okay, I'm pretty handy and it's a labor of love.

thanks,
Meg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	our streamline (2).jpg
Views:	327
Size:	367.3 KB
ID:	150377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Our streamline side (2).jpg
Views:	307
Size:	424.6 KB
ID:	150378  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2775 (1).jpg
Views:	366
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	150379   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010187.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	150380  

1966Countess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Meg,

No idea how to assist, just saying, wow, that's a neat looking trailer, looks like it has a lot going for it right now and more to come. Good luck.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Charles County , Missouri
Nice looking trailer, I have a 1964 Countess myself. As far as the waste holding tank, mine basically sits on it in the rear bath area. The tank stick about 4" above the floor and the toilet sets on it. The waste valve is directly below the tank, the grey water connects just below the valve, no holding tank for grey. The tank itself is fiberglass, it seams to be a fairly common setup.

I replaced my water heater with a 10 gallon atwood, I also replaced the water lines at the time with pex. There is not to much to the plumbing. I'm not sure about the tankless, if its gas I would just expect you to need a vent for it. Mine is under the bed.

And yes you'll need to be a jack of all trades with a vintage trailer. But the good news is they are really not that complicated. I replaced the plumbing, added a A/C unit, replaced some of the floor, added some electrical, rebuilt the axels, and more. But I also just got back from a 2700 mile round trip to Florida without any problems.
dmcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966Countess View Post
... Waste Holding Tank (didn't have one, can't find dimensions or even volume)

...Water Heater (again, it had been removed) BUT I Bought one (hopefully not a pricey mistake), a Girard tankless. Anyone have experience with these (good question prior to $590 expenditure, maybe, although i did do a fair amount of research).
Are you missing the sewage tank (commonly referred to a as black tank) or the gray water tank? Gray water tanks weren't required until 1974-ish, so it may never have had one.

Most of us use a 6-gallon Atwood water heater. The tankless are very nice and probably install even easier.

I agree with the PEX recommendation. Unless you're very lucky, your copper pipes have been frozen at least once, so even if they aren't broken, they are expanded and you can no longer modify the plumbing. Go for 100% PEX.

Zep
Old 02-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
1990 29' Land Yacht
Vintage Kin Owner
Americus , Alsrural Bristol Tn.
B E A U T I F U L trailer. Congrats to you....ENJOY
Jim & Mitzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
1990 29' Land Yacht
Vintage Kin Owner
Americus , Alsrural Bristol Tn.
P E X vs CPVC I've tried pex and found using the fastening clamps very difficult is many locations. I converted to CPVC simpler and very effective......Just my opinion.....
Jim & Mitzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Good find. I'd love to have a final or next-to-final year-of-production Streamline (1974 or 1973). My grandparents covered North America and Mexico in theirs.

Be sure to check in over at Toms' Web Page where there are more owners.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #8

Vintage Kin Owner
englewood , Colorado
Wow, what a warm welcome. Thanks everyone.
To dmcummins: helpful info on waste tank (much more than I had), I now have a general idea on the original setup. I might add a grey tank in the future, baby steps for now.

To Zeppelinium: yeah, sewage AKA black water tank, it's gone. When I get a replacement for that, I plan to direct the grey water to that for now. Relinquishing storage space for a grey tank is hard to swallow.

PEX 100% seems to be the general consensus (to Jim/Mitzi, I'll look into the CPVC for difficult locatations).

I've found a good amount of info on Tom Patterson's Page. I'm wondering if Silver Streak's are very similar. There seems to be more info available for those, and the owner's of each company were partner's at Silver Streak at the beginning.

Anyway I will be posting photos of my progress regularly here. I'll make some bad calls I'm sure. It's the journey not the destination, right?
Thanks, Meg
1966Countess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Wow - what a great looking trailer! Congrats! Can't wait to see more pictures and hear of your progress.

One word of caution though. You mention directing both gray and black water to the same tank. If you do, be aware that when a grey water tank fills up, it tends to backup into the lowest inside drain, which is typically the shower or tub. If there is black water mixed with the gray water, that really creates much more of a stinky mess than just having gray water backup into your tub/shower. Just a thought.

A better idea might be to invest in one of those portable gray tanks. Kind of a pain to deal with, but better than black water backing up into your tub/shower drain.

Gray water tanks are typically mounted below the floor as they need to be lower than the tub/shower. Do you have space under the floor where you can mount one?

Good luck with your renovations!

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Old pre-grey tank AS route the grey directly out the waste connection, while black is held back behind the valve. That makes it easy to hook up a 'blue boy' portable tank to catch the grey. Then when you go to the dump station, you dump the black tank, then dump the 'blue boy'. Easy.

You have a lovely trailer there! It looks like it will be a really fun project. I hope it doesn't need too much, the sooner you can get it out and enjoy it, the easier it will be to fix all the little things. That thing is going to attract a lot of attention in teh campgrounds

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I've found a good amount of info on Tom Patterson's Page. I'm wondering if Silver Streak's are very similar. There seems to be more info available for those, and the owner's of each company were partner's at Silver Streak at the beginning.

The problem with comparisons is any age differences. Given close years, then the similarities are apparent. The ostensible reason for the partners buyout at Silver Streak was over design criteria. Streamline also had leaf sprung suspensions through the years, but changed over to spray-in insulation. The big difference (the one not copied by all others to our collective loss) is the use of aluminum cabinetry. No rot, adds structural strength and larger interior volumes for a given size.

Silver Streak and Streamline both have more storage room than any of the other aero aluminum trailers (why I am resisting Avion for my next one, despite other advantages such as better suspensions than the above two), both have complete double hulls and strong frames. Much work handled in house versus outsourced.

Streamline may have expanded too fast and gotten caught in the 1971 economic downturn, they certainly didn't survive the '73 energy crisis (which had delayed effects into 1974-5; anyone remember G. Ford and WIN Whip Inflation Now?)

Fit and finish on these two was always very high.

The published weights were lower, also, than any other brand. You'd be doing us a service to weigh that trailer separately to see how an empty one compared to spec on axle and tongue weight.

Don't be concerned about being in over your head. The year and condition "comparable" Airstream would have been more expensive and would take a very good deal more money to return to the same shape. Be patient, do things in the order of safety, reliability then cosmetics or new upgrades. I'd do all the road performance things first. A trailer that can be inspected, insured and towed anywhere is the easiest to deal with as other work progresses.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
For holding tanks and water tanks, take a look at The Metal Company in Arvada. They have an extensive line of tanks and will customize the fittings in the tank (like $5 a pop). Download their PDF catalog and look through it.

AEROWOOD got some nice holding tanks at RV Surplus in Elkhart, IN.

I'm working on a gray tank for my Safari, either aluminum or fiberglass, something like 25-30 gallons.

Zep
Old 02-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Mustang , Oklahoma
Check with PPL motorhomes for tanks. I am documenting my build on my blog if you are interested. I try and take pics as I go,to try and help people out.

The Adventures Of Avalair

The archives on the right will let you see it progress from May of last year.
Roothawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
Hi,
I have a 66 Streamline Duke.
I have installed a Girard tankless heater. My wife & I love it. Used to go to public showers because we had 6 gallons of hot water, now take as long a shower as we want if we have a sewer hookup. I also installed a stock 18 gallon grey water tank so as not to have to order a custom. It fits between the cross framing. Vented the tank with the existing black water vent in the street side closet. You do have to plan for the drains from the sinks and shower. I know where to get the grease seals for wheel bearings.
Streamline is a great trailer and I like it more than our Airstream.
Took it on a 3000 mi trip last year.
Here is a link to some photos of our trailer and a brochure which came with ours.
Pictures by barkingdogg - Photobucket

Barkingdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
Tafton , Pennsylvania
Beautiful trailer! Good luck with it. If we meet along the road someday, I'd love a tour! What is the GVW of that unit?
nomad3622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Gorgeous trailer! (But I won't let my 5 A/Ss read this post.)

And welcome to the Forum, you'll love it here!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:57 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Beautiful, B-D. Sure brings back memories. My grandparents had a '65 or '66 Empress.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Newcastle , Oklahoma
Streamline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad3622 View Post
Beautiful trailer! Good luck with it. If we meet along the road someday, I'd love a tour! What is the GVW of that unit?

If your asking me, The Duke is 3400 lb empty. I believe a Countess is 3800 lb. The brocheure I have lists the models and specs.
Barkingdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
denver , Colorado
Looks like you are getting alot of good advise, I am also in Englewood with a recently aquired 59' airstream and alot of your same questions!!!
tableaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Great looking trailer! You are going to have lots of fun! Welcome to the forums, you will find all the info you need here.

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote