Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Vintage Kin
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Glendale , California
Curtis Wright and Early Silver Streak beds

Howdy all. After taking inventory of my interior trailer "stuff", I was puzzled by the bed frames that look original. I have seen these bed frames that look kind of like a coffin in other interior pictures of CWs. My frames are made of hard wood, probably pine, with plywood on the bottom and have a cushion with springs with cotton batting inside that go on top of the frames. Here are a few pictures of what I have. I have a friend with a 53 Silver streak clipper that has "tilt" beds. His are apparently original to those trailers. Did the early CWs have those tilt beds as an option? Do the bed frames that I have look original? I was planning on using them and putting plywood on top. With a cushion made from foam covered with some nice material, I'd have two beds. Any knowledge and/or pictures of your original beds would be helpful and appreciated! Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140126_162942.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	206808   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140125_143133.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	469.2 KB
ID:	206809  

Name:	20140125_143117.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	465.6 KB
ID:	206810  
chris hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
Hi Chris,

You may want to check out Melody Ranch's thread "47 Curtis Wright" - I think he has some photos in there of an original sliding bed, post #53. You may also want to check those original mattresses. In post #69 you can see what he found in his...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f417...ght-50200.html

Good luck!

Tina
Old 03-05-2014, 02:19 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
redondo beach , California
I have two SS clippers. One has the rare twin beds that recline and one has the style you have with aluminum wrapped around the wood.
PLVMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:24 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Randolph , Minnesota
Tilt beds

Chris

I have a 1948 Curtis Wright Model 5, #8254 that has the tilt up beds. I would be happy to take some pictures and measurements if that would help you out. I am also wondering what you are doing regarding the pipe frame. Mine is in poor condition due to dissimilar metal corrosion.

Regards
Hoghide
Hoghide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Glendale , California
Hi you guys. Thanks for the responses. The beds that I have are fine for the trailer. They seem so plain! They are very low to the floor. Someone said that it was a little like camping on the ground using the original beds. I'll see what thickness of foam I can buy to put on top of the wooden bed frames to bring up the height. I don't want to interfere with the ability to open the little original cabinets at the end of the beds. I would like to see what the tilt beds look like. I hear they are a little more substantial than the frames I have. As for the pipe frame, everything looks "renovatable". A little strengthening of some of the outriggers is in order, POR15 on the pipe, and I think that's all that will be needed. Screwing the plywood floor to the c channel around the sides of the trailer will be the trick, I think, in strengthening this trailer floor and sub floor. I am wondering if Thompson's water seal is a good idea to use on the plywood floors before installing them. Any thoughts on a sealant for the floors? I think I'll get some more time to work on the trailer this weekend. I've been a little under the weather this past week and haven't gotten to tinker with the trailer. Chris
Old 03-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Here are the twin recliners.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6888.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	208587   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6889.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	326.6 KB
ID:	208588  

Old 03-31-2014, 07:41 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Glendale , California
Thanks for the pictures! I've heard about the recliners but have never seen them. From what I see, they seem to recline from the thinner end. They also look pretty thick. In the picture that has the bed tilted up, is that maximum tilt up for it? Thanks! Chris
Old 03-31-2014, 08:34 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Chris, They have coil springs and padding they are thick. I think they go up farther they were buried with trailer parts. heres another version with storage underneath. I am in the south bay your welcome to come down anytime. John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6884.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	208660