Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2005 - 2010 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-27-2006, 11:19 AM   #41
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by outthere
I checked on the combined weight of my 4runner and a TT. It's 12,000 lbs. The 4runner is 5490 and if I figure people and stuff probably closer to 6200. That leaves a max of 5800 for the trailer and contents. The 25 AS comes in at 5800 empty so that will not work! Alas....back to the drawing board....either a new TV or a smaller trailer.....nothing is easy!
hi outthere...

a wise move to rethink things.

find the trailer you really really like and want and can afford.

upgrade the tv as needed for THAT trailer...

or the next size up!

tow vehicles come and go, but the airstream is enduring...

keep looking and good luck!

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:12 PM   #42
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
tow vehicles come and go, but the airstream is enduring...
2air'
Wise words.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:16 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
outthere..

We have a 05 25' FB, we tow with a 96 chevy tahoe, 3.73 rear, tow capacity 6500 lbs. It tows like a breeze, have a equalizer hitch too..
safari05-25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:34 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
You need to consider stopping, going up long hills and going down long hills, not just pulling and . It sounds like you want to travel far and wide. You may be better off with a used oil burner with 10 years left in her. Ask yourself how long the truck will last pulling that trailer. (I think the FB is all the right stuff as a design). Then you are looking at another TV in 3 years or so.
I pull a 1959 26 footer with a 2005 Duramax / Allison 2500HD Crewcab. Do I have power to spare, yes. That's a problem.....??? I cann't wait to get on some real mountains going up or down.. This truck will last 15 years and I can just go where I want with worry about elevation, mountain passes, ect.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:02 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
I think its been said here over and over. Airstreams pull better than any vehicle......but if the frame of your truck flexis....and the brakes are too small...it wears you out driving over a long haul. People with marginal tow rigs regreat it. I talk to many who wish they had forgot about the hard bumpy EMPTY ride when unloaded and bought a bigger truck. And you know something...the heavy duty trucks don't cost any more than a lighter 1/2 ton. They just ride like trucks...be safe.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 04:35 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Presque Isle , Michigan
I agree with everyone's advice on this forum with respect to making sure the TV is right for the TT. With my 4runner (4.7 liter V8/270 HP and 7300 tow rating) I don't feel comfortable pulling anything over about 5800 lbs. I don't think I want to switch to a larger TV due to the high cost of fuel these days which will only get higher over the next few years (ugh!). Plus we really like the layout of the 20. My two biggest concerns with it are 1) sleeping accommodations and 2) seating space.

However, I looked at the specs of the 20 compared to the other AS's and the front bed is 78 inches long which is the longest of any bed in any AS as far as I can tell. Those few inches mean a lot when your 6'4" like me. Its only 48" wide but if needed we can turn the dinnette into a second bed. That seems to alleviate the first concern. The other concern is how comfortable it will be for my wife and I when just sitting around. As my wife says, we will probably be in warm climates most of the time and will be spending a majority of our time outdoors. However....the only inside seating is the dinnette. I think we could invest in a beanbag chair or something to help there. The rest of the TT is perfect. We like the dry bath and kitchen setup and the size will allow us to get into tight places. The GVWR is 5000 lbs so it's well within the 4runner capability. So...I keep coming back to the 20....

I hope I'm not boring you guys with this discussion but not having a lot of experience with TT's I'm spending a lot of time mulling this over (plus the planning stage I'm in now is just plain fun!). Thanks for the input so far....You have been a HUGE help and Lord knows, I need all the help I can get!!!
outthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:47 AM   #47
Mom scared by aluminum

Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Go Vintage

May I encourage you to go vintage. There's nothing like giving a good home to a 40-year-old baby. There are plenty that are completely restored out there that are much cheaper than new, or if you want to take on a project to keep you busy there are lots just sitting collecting oxidation.

Advantage 1: Vintage trailers are much lighter. I believe I heard a 30-footer from the 60s actually weighs about the same or less than a new Bambi, but I could be wrong on the actual statistic.

Advantage 2: Cost. You can use all the money you save to stay at a little fancier campground.

Advantage 3: Coolness. But that's just my opinion.

good luck with whatever you decide.
dmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote