Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2006, 02:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
safari '05 25' FB question...

Ok...we have a new 05 25' FB, only have it a few months and been out 2 times with it, only a few days each trip. Anyway...we're always finding something new about it that we weren't aware of when purchasing the unit. Just today we discovered that underneath the sofa on driver side, there is a panel that slides out from under the cushion. Does anyone know what this is for? Thought it was to extend sleeping arrangment there, but...there is no support when panel is pulled out. Have not read anywhere about what this panel is for, wondered if anyone else out there that has the 05 25' FB model would know..thanks for any feedback on this..
safari05-25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 07:10 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We also have a 2005 Safari 25' FB. Our Lucy is one of the very early ones with the door hinges at the rear (suicide door). Our VIN ends 518267. I am sitting in lucy as I write this. I have just examined the area below the couch next to the refridgerator. I cannot find any slide out panel as you decribe. I pulled out the cushions and checked in the storage area underneath the couch, still nothing. Sounds like you may have a one-of-a-kind optional feature. Now if you can just figure out what it is for.

I noticed that you are also in Florida. You should consider bringing your unique Safari to the 2007 Can Opener Rally in Santa Rosa Beach on Jan 5-6-7, 2007. Details are on a Forums string of the the same name.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 07:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
You don't need another support. It is to extend the couch for sleeping or lounging, just pull it out as far as you like and slide the cushion over it. It will hold you without another support. You do know that the table will also go down and make a bed at the dinette too? How cool for you to be discovering these things as a bonus. Congratulations on your new FB, we love the floorplans of the FBs!!!!! Yes come to the rally, do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari2505
Ok...we have a new 05 25' FB, only have it a few months and been out 2 times with it, only a few days each trip. Anyway...we're always finding something new about it that we weren't aware of when purchasing the unit. Just today we discovered that underneath the sofa on driver side, there is a panel that slides out from under the cushion. Does anyone know what this is for? Thought it was to extend sleeping arrangment there, but...there is no support when panel is pulled out. Have not read anywhere about what this panel is for, wondered if anyone else out there that has the 05 25' FB model would know..thanks for any feedback on this..

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 07:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
be careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari2505
Just today we discovered that underneath the sofa on driver side, there is a panel that slides out from under the cushion. Does anyone know what this is for? Thought it was to extend sleeping arrangment there, but...there is no support when panel is pulled out...
As wheel interested said it does pull out and the back cushion is used to fill in the area to extend the sofa for sleeping. And yes there is no additional support, however do not overload the extension with too much weight. We have repaired ours twice, the srews that hold the slides either strip out or back off from usage. The slides are undersized for the job and should eventually be replaced by AS. When it works it makes a nice bed.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
That's not good. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe a couple of modified props wouldn't be such a bad idea afterall.

photography
Old 11-25-2006, 09:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
We also have a 2005 Safari 25' FB. Our Lucy is one of the very early ones with the door hinges at the rear (suicide door). Our VIN ends 518267. I am sitting in lucy as I write this. I have just examined the area below the couch next to the refridgerator. I cannot find any slide out panel as you decribe. I pulled out the cushions and checked in the storage area underneath the couch, still nothing. Sounds like you may have a one-of-a-kind optional feature. Now if you can just figure out what it is for.

moosetags,

I will bet your 25FB has the slide out...it has no handle and is sometimes very difficult to get enough grip to slide it out. Try opening the lower door just to the left of the refer, now run your hand under the ledge below the sofa that is exposed after you opened the door. The fabric covered face just above the opening is the face of the slide out, pull out the slide by gripping the face at the bottom with both hands and pull. I hope this explanation works for you.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Safari2505 & Moosetags -- Do either of you know your production date? We walked through a suicide door '05 on a dealer's lot in late June '05. It was already known at that time that '06 FB trailers would have the hinge at the front.

I've got to go pull the batteries from mine for the winter. Now you've given me a good reason to go sooner rather than later. Thanks!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:56 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
production date..

As far as the production date of ours, we do not know when that was, not sure how to find that out. We bought ours from a dealer in Ft. Myers just this past August. It was sitting on their lot for about a 1 yr 1/2. As far as the suicide door goes, we like it the way it is, as when the door is left open it doesn't cover the kitchen window. And...when traveling we just remember to lock it.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:45 PM   #9
_

. , .
hi safari05-25...

the production date is stamped on a small alum badge. about 2x3 inches

this badge is riveted near the front/streetside; just above the belly wrap.

also has load and axle rating info...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
The date is on the side of the Airstream on a silver plate with info.

Good point about the window and door. Does you kitchen window open then? I miss that. Did you get the forest sage interior? I really like that but the stratus and midnight sun are very nice too. The design of the sage one looks so retro.

Did you have an Airstream before or is this your first? I love the rear door it has a kind of warm casual charm to come in and sit.

photography
Old 11-27-2006, 05:46 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
Carol

Hope you can see from attachment the interior decor, didn't know what it was called, as we just bought it as a leftover 05. Yes..our kitchen window does open which we love. This is our first AS, we have been looking at them for 10 yrs, we had an Award before, just too many problems with it and we just decided that was it we were going to sell it and buy the AS we wanted. After doing alot of research and reading the threads here we decided the FB takes care of just about all our needs, we too like the back door. So...for the size that it is ( 25' ) downsizing from a 30', we have everything that we want as far as dinette, sofa and queen bed too all in a 25'....though we could use a little more storage, but..we'll make it work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinettearea.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	29097  
Old 11-27-2006, 06:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
That's it! Very sharp looking. I think they pack a whole lot of trailer in these FB floorplans. I like the separate shower too.

An Airstream was our first full profile trailer coming from a tow-lite trailer and we love how easily it tows.

Maybe we will see you at a rally in Florida as Moosetags mentioned.

Congratulations on your new trailer. Did you name it?

photography
Old 11-27-2006, 07:29 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
summerfield , Florida
Carol..

That's wild...awhile back in the early 90's we had a Hi-Lo Funlite, only had it for a few years, too many issues to deal with.
Well...we just may see you at the rally, he says yes but haven't made reservations yet he's down right now with a bum knee. Maybe by the end of the week we'll make them.
No...we have not named it, we just were never into that. I will try to think about a name though...
Old 11-27-2006, 07:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari05-25
That's wild...awhile back in the early 90's we had a Hi-Lo Funlite, only had it for a few years, too many issues to deal with.
Well...we just may see you at the rally, he says yes but haven't made reservations yet he's down right now with a bum knee. Maybe by the end of the week we'll make them.
No...we have not named it, we just were never into that. I will try to think about a name though...
No name for us either yet. I remember the Funlites they were up in grade over our Towlites. They were very nice. Hope you get to come to the rally and that hubby's knee gets better fast. I can see us comparing notes about that special Hi-Lo squuaawwkkk-dunk of the lifting.

photography