Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Wallpaper Question

The situation:
I recently purchased a 1967 Tradewind which had "after-market" (not the original Airstream vinyl) wallpaper applied. From the pattern/style of wallpaper I would speculate it was done in the 1980's. The wallpaper was peeling off, was in very poor condition and was really dated looking. I ended up stripping the wallpaper but unfortunately hard patches of wallpaper glue remained (I'm guessing someone actually used some other type of glue to repaste sections that were coming down). I was unsuccessful in removing the patches of glue. I ended up washing down the walls with a clorox/water mixture and then I painted the walls. They are at least clean and the appearance is greatly improved; however, I'm still not satisfied with the appearance - especially the "glue patches."

My question is:
I would like to put new wallpaper on the walls; however, I don't want to end up with a repeat of the same mess that I spent days removing from the prior owner's wallpaper efforts. Has anyone applied wallpaper with successful results such that the paper did not start coming off? I'm wondering if the fact that the interior of the trailer will get very hot while sitting idle (I'm in Austin, TX where 8 - 9 months out of the year we have pretty warm temperatures) and thus the paper would start to peel again.

Thank you in advance for any input and guidance you can provide.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I know nothing about wall paper in these trailers, but I can comment about the heat gain. Even up here in Canada, the inside of the trailer can get very hot during summer months. I have no air conditioner, so must vent with the ceiling fans and open windows. This will keep it from getting unbearably hot inside. But if you are storing your trailer, I doubt that you'd want to do this. So I would expect in your location the inside temperatures would get very hot and could affect the glues of your wall paper. If your area is humid, that moisture would add another component to the heat that wouldn't be so good for the trailer interior.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thank you for your input. I ended up painting the walls a neutral color. They look pretty good. It's just that there are a few residual clumps of glue in some places that I was not able to remove ... and that still bothers me. I've noticed that some of the newer units have a carpet-like material on the walls. I've contemplated doing the same application on my walls. The two attached photos show the outcome of the painted walls. You will notice a hole in the front wall the size of a quarter. A prior owner made that hole for some reason (I'm guessing an antenna or something). Now i'm trying to figure out how to cover and disguise that with something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bella Interior 7.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	73096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bella Interior 1.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	73097  

Old 12-30-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Your trailer looks great. Your guess on the hole in the wall is correct. It's where the wire fed through from the antenna. I used a cover plate to cover the hole. Our 67 has the same beauty mark. Have you tried looking in the wallpaper section of your local hardware store for products that remove wallpaper and glue? The 67 had wallpaper in it as well and we used a spray on solution to remove the glue. It's been a while and I don't remember the name.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
Thank you for your input. I ended up painting the walls a neutral color. They look pretty good. It's just that there are a few residual clumps of glue in some places that I was not able to remove ... and that still bothers me. I've noticed that some of the newer units have a carpet-like material on the walls. I've contemplated doing the same application on my walls. The two attached photos show the outcome of the painted walls. You will notice a hole in the front wall the size of a quarter. A prior owner made that hole for some reason (I'm guessing an antenna or something). Now i'm trying to figure out how to cover and disguise that with something.
Painting over wallpaper paste is a no no! In time there will be a reaction with the old paste and the new paint. The reaction will be surface cracking in the paint where the paste was not fully removed. If the paste was tan in color it could also bleed through causing a stain, hope you used a Stain Block primer like Killz or similar, oil base is best. All that said I hope you don't have any problems.
Your AS looks nice!!
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I love the look of your trailer! Great colour choice, and the seats and table are a super match.

As for removing the old glue, there are only two things I can think of: rent one of those steam machines made expressly for wallpaper removal, they will take the hide off an Armadillo. Can't beat good old heat and water.

On the off-chance that won't work, consider sandpapering the spots starting with fairly coarse (100 grit) and working up to maybe a 200.

Either method will make somewhat of a mess, so you may want to consider masking as much as possible and heavy use of protective cloth over everything.

Good luck!
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
I love the look of your trailer! Great colour choice, and the seats and table are a super match.

As for removing the old glue, there are only two things I can think of: rent one of those steam machines made expressly for wallpaper removal, they will take the hide off an Armadillo. Can't beat good old heat and water.

On the off-chance that won't work, consider sandpapering the spots starting with fairly coarse (100 grit) and working up to maybe a 200.

Either method will make somewhat of a mess, so you may want to consider masking as much as possible and heavy use of protective cloth over everything.

Good luck!
There is a product called " Diff " it is a chemical that re-activates the wallpaper paste, let the chemical do the work. You simpley wipe/scrape it off. Sold at all paint stores and HD
Sixty3TW4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Odds are...

Wallpaper paste is pretty soluble - so the odds are that whoever did the job had places that got loose and used "whatever" to fix those peeling spots. "Whatever" is probably super glue or an epoxy.

Sand paper and aluminum wool - and lots of elbow grease are the only things that will work.

What you've done looks very nice. You are probably the only one who notices the patches. Ask other people's opinion, and if they can't spot them, learn to live with them.

Paula
Old 12-30-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
I agree with Pauls's advice. I have plenty of experience with wall paper. Your AS looks lovely.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:41 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thank you for your input and positive feedback.

I think I'll try the sandpaper on the rough glue spots. The gentleman who previously owned the trailer did indeed use superglue on that old wallpaper (he suggested that I do the same when I purchased it from him). I thanked him for his suggestion ... but all of my intentions were to actually remove the old wallpaper ... I didn't want to hurt his feelings and tell him I was going to remove it ... besides we all have different preferences and that's what makes looking at the photos on here so much fun. I don't know about anyone else but I could spend all evening on here looking at the photos.

I speculate he also used some other glues as well ... the texture, color, appearance of the glues varied throughout the trailer. I did try numerous stippers, etc. I also did a mixture of 1 part Cholorox to 3 parts water once I was finished to clean the walls good and remove any excess strippers I used. Word of advice on that ... regardless of using a max ... a fan to move the air ... etc ... the fumes made me sick for several days. I won't do that one again!

Hopefully the sandpaper will yield good results.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
NEWNAN , Georgia
Beautiful!

You did a wonderful job. Your trailer is gorgeous. I really like the paint job. I used a heat gun to get the wallpaper off in a 2005 AS. It was very time consuming. Do you have anymore pictures to show us the rest of your pad?
Whippet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Sorry for the delayed reply Whippet2. Thank you for your positive feedback. I would have never thought about a heat gun ... sounds like a good idea. Attached are a few more photos that you requested.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bella Bathroom 1.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	73401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bella Interior 3.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	379.6 KB
ID:	73402  

Name:	Bella Interior 4.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	73403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bella & Truck.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	73404  

Old 01-06-2009, 05:10 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
NEWNAN , Georgia
Cool!

Thanks for the extra pictures. I really like what you did with your trailer. The wood is so rich looking. Great job!
Whippet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
It looks so fresh and clean and comfy!
Old 01-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Beautiful interior! Did you put in the mini-blinds? I recently bought some fabric for new curtains and intended to replace the pull-down shades from my PO. But your's looks so nice that I might have to reconsider.....

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
How do you keep the mini-blinds tight against the wall at the bottom? Is there a special fastener to do that?
Old 01-06-2009, 08:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Thank you for the feedback. I feel a little better hearing that what we did is looking fine to some folks on here who have experience improving their units.

With regard to the questions on the mini blinds, we did indeed install them ourselves. We purchased the Levelor brand (found them at Lowes) which could be cut to our needed width and then we removed slats to achieve our desired height. In order to ensure they had a tight/snug fit to the walls we installed the bottom hooks where the blinds would be fitting tightly against the walls without any "wiggle room".

Honestly ... there are some photos in the forums showing beautiful drapes that others have either made themselves or have had them made for their units. We chose the mini blinds only as a temporary less costly solution. I envy those that have the drapes ... hopefully drapes get into the 2010 improvement budget. I sure do want them.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Did the bottom hooks come with the blinds, or are they something you improvised? Would it be possible to see a close-up picture of how you did it? How long have you been working on the trailer? It really looks nicely put together. I too like the dark wood.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
cameront120 ... sorry it has taken me several days to reply to your inquiry. Our homeowners association doesn't allow RVs in our neighborhood so we have the trailer at a storage facility. Today was the first opportunity I had to stop by the storage facility and take a photo of the hooks. Answers to your questions follow:
Did the bottom hooks come with the blinds, or are they something you improvised?
Reply: We utilized the plastic hooks that come with the Levelor blinds.
Would it be possible to see a close-up picture of how you did it?
Reply: Attached is a close up photo of the plastic hook.
How long have you been working on the trailer?
Reply: We purchased the trailer in August (2008) and we have been working on it since acquiring it (I guess about 4 months now). It was in need of much cleaning, some mechanical repairs, some cosmetic repairs and much updating.
Thank you for your positive comments … I appreciate it very much. The dark wood was really an experiment. I’ve read that dark colors can actually make a small space appear larger. I’m not sure I’m convinced … but I am happy with the resulting look. We tried to liven it up with lighter wall color and brighter accessories. Attached are a couple of photos I took of the twin bed area today.
I had planned to start stripping the clearcoat today and prepping to polish the outside ... but a cold front moved in last night and it was windy and mid 50s today. I decided it probably was not a good day to be getting wet with the waterhose.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mini Blind Clip.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	73611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bella Twin Bed 1.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	73612  

Name:	Bella Twin Bed 2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	73613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bella Twin Beds.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	73614  

Old 01-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Thanks for the additional photos! It looks like you've done a lot in 4 months!

Tags
interior