Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2020, 09:33 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Normandy Park , Washington
Spring pull down shade over toilet?

How do I reinstall the spring loaded curtain? One side has just a pin the other more of a flat piece that clearly can be wound up so when you release it it automatically goes back up.

I can not figure how to do this.

Any help?

Thanks

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	368823Attachment 1
Dan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:36 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Meant to add the other one

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	368824
Old 05-28-2020, 04:27 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
1990 34' Limited
Cape Coral , Florida
The spring that puts tension on the roller is on the end with the flat bar. The female brackets from which the roller hangs has just a pin hole on one side but a slot on the other. You turn the flat bar (You will need to experiment with the number of turns) to create tension. Stick the pin side into its receiver, line up the slot end and place into its slot while preserving the tension. I'm sure that with practice its easy.
dieseleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:40 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseleagle View Post
The spring that puts tension on the roller is on the end with the flat bar. The female brackets from which the roller hangs has just a pin hole on one side but a slot on the other. You turn the flat bar (You will need to experiment with the number of turns) to create tension. Stick the pin side into its receiver, line up the slot end and place into its slot while preserving the tension. I'm sure that with practice its easy.

Is this done with the curtain rolled up or do you have it all down, tension it, insert so that it then rolls up on it’s own ?
Old 05-28-2020, 09:30 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Ione , CA
When I've done this in our home, you place the rolled up curtain tabs in their slots in the brackets... But it is CRITICAL that you mounted the brackets on the correct sides and have the curtain rolling in the right direction.

The internal spring should be relaxed at this point.

By pulling the curtain down tension will be 'wound' into the spring. When you stop pulling, it should lock (internal stop mechanism) in place. Then to roll back up just pull down to release the stop mechanism.

If you need to put more or less tension onto the curtain, a technique is to just rotate the rolled up curtain a full turn.

Hope this helps!
Trowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:34 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Los Altos , California
I have a similar shade in our Argosy. You would wind up the spring on the flat end as said with the curtain rolled up. This allows the mechanism to increase tension when it is pulled down. Our spring broke so I replaced the roller mechanism, but used the original shade material since I couldn't find any replacements that I liked. This cheep replacement's mechanism broke quickly, so I've ordered a roller shade mechanism to avoid the spring; hopefully this will work better. Hope yours isn't broken!
CA_CAJUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:55 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
You should have these brackets on the wall to put the ends into.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bali-Cut...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
Roll up the shade then put it in the bracket. To tighten the spring pull the shade down, remove from bracket wind up by hand, replace into bracket, carefully so you don’t trigger the spring, when installing. No tools needed.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote