Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1985 31' Excella
2010 31' Classic
Hendersonville , Tennessee
Replacing Pull Down Shade in Door

How do I replace my shade in my door for 85 Excella? Also where do I get said replacement?
NashBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashBuff View Post
How do I replace my shade in my door for 85 Excella? Also where do I get said replacement?

Funny you should ask that question. Just 2 weeks ago I realized there WAS a shade in the door. The wood strip that should be in the shade was missing and the shade had found it's way up into the gap in the upper door cavity. I will be must interested in the comments offered on this thead. I never saw the shade mentioned once in one year using the forum. Good luck with your search. By the way what wrong with your shade

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I would start you search at JCPenney, they have good sales on roll up shades.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Ours had dry rotted and ripped to the point it looked terrible. Could not find a readi-made shade that small of a width so bought a replacement shade and cut it down to the proper width (just pull one end off and cut it very slowly and carefully with a fine tooth blade--hacksaw, whatever). The space to work in the cavity the blind lives in is so narrow that I fought that shade for a couple hours and never could get the new one in. Out of frustration, I went and bought the smallest set of white mini blinds and trimmed them down and removed the unnecessary lower slats. It fits perfectly in the space and was easy to install. It looks fine from the inside and outside.
I didn't have a choice to replace the shade but if yours is in decent condition, I would leave it alone. The process would be much easier in the long run for me to have taken the inner skin off the door.
Hopefully someone has had an easier time with this and can offer a better solution.
Good luck,
Old 07-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I bought a replacement at Home Depot. They are equipped to cut shades to any length. I did remove the inner skin, it's not that big a deal.

However, a few weeks ago, I had the door open and the screen door closed enjoying the spring weather. The wind caught the shade and pulled it out of the door through the window opening in the inner skin. I was unable to get things back together without removing the inner skin again.

I removed the shade and swore never again. Now I just slip a piece of poster board between the screen and screen guard on the screen door when I want to block off the door window. A 22 inch square piece fits perfectly. I can also remove or replace it with the door closed, something you can't do with the shade.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1985 31' Excella
2010 31' Classic
Hendersonville , Tennessee
I can't believe it, this is the first time in a year that I did not get the perfect answer on how to fix something.
NashBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
I just replaced all my shades 3 weeks ago. Took the old ones to Home Depot/Lowes and they cut new ones to fit. The top panel of aluminum on the door is held in by 4 screws. Remove the screws and you have access to the roller shade. My shade is a bit tight and I need to remove it and take it back to HD/Lowes to have them shave another 1/8 inch off of it. Hoping that the wife will take some excess material and stitch in the tab with the snap to snap it in the closed position.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashBuff View Post
I can't believe it, this is the first time in a year that I did not get the perfect answer on how to fix something.
OK, what do you want?

As I said, you can get the proper length shade at Home Depot by having them cut one to size. They don't charge. The blinds also don't cost much in the first place.

Then you can quickly replace it by removing the inner skin. It will be good as new.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:17 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
OK, what do you want?

As I said, you can get the proper length shade at Home Depot by having them cut one to size. They don't charge. The blinds also don't cost much in the first place.

Then you can quickly replace it by removing the inner skin. It will be good as new.

I don't think that the major problem was to buy a replacement shade, but more about the procedure to actually take out and install the new shade. I never heard of having to take apart a door to install a shade, poor design, I say.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:54 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hobe Sound , Florida
shade removal

The easiest way is to remove the inside skin to get to the shade. I could not find a replacemnet that could be cut short enough, so removed the old shade fabric and replaced with new material using the original roller and brackets. Fairly easy and has been working great for 4 years.
raveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
I don't think that the major problem was to buy a replacement shade, but more about the procedure to actually take out and install the new shade. I never heard of having to take apart a door to install a shade, poor design, I say.
Hey, I said it would be good as new, not good.

That was on purpose. The susceptibility to wind damage also makes it a poor design.

Give a 22 inch square of poster board between the screen and the top screen guard. It really works great. The only problem is that the poster board goes limp in a few days folding over the screen guard. Then I either reverse it, turn it 90 degrees, or both. I keep meaning to look for something like one of those folding cutting boards that is 22 inches square or longer that I can cut down, but keep forgetting.

Good luck! I share your frustration with his.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Our previous owners removed the shade and replaced it with a small curtain held in place by two very small pressure rods at top and bottom, it is easily removed to washing and is secure even in high winds. It is shirred on the Ross, which men's it can be pushed aside to disappear almost completely and it is never necessary to do anything to the door itself to change the curtain, great design and very clever, seems to be made from one king sized pillowcase with channels sewn into top and bottom. Very secure and easy!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Waterloo , Ontario
When our shade broke on our 1990 Excella, my wife removed it and cut a small roll of vinyl "peel & stick" window covering to fit over the window as a permanent privacy curtain. As this is clear with a pebble texture, it still allows lots of light in but no one can see through it.

Simple and easy, and almost no cost.
DEWASSINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:04 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
I have the same dilemma ...

Does this mean that the inner panel needs to be removed to ge to the shade? How do I do that?
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #15
JB396

1986 25' Sovereign
Neapolis , Ohio
Repairing Door Shade

Hello, I have been a member for awhile but mostly just reading posts and getting ideas and information. This is my first post! I have a 1986 Sovereign 25 ft that I've owned for 3yrs but this is my first summer actually 'living' in it, so now I'm finding time to do all the repairs I've had planned.

My question is about the shade that covers the door window..Is there a trick to removing the wood roller without taking the whole skin off the door? The problem is that I was attempting to clean it and accidentally pulled the shade off the roller which was secured with five staples. I've found it impossible to get the shade and staples back in without taking out the roller...and have also been unsuccessful with getting the roller out. My door does not have any screws, just a ton of rivets. Nothing leaks up to this point so I really don't want to mess with taking it apart. Any suggestions? I'm trying to keep things as original as I can. My next thought is to maybe use Guerrilla glue to attach it to the roller but I'll take any friendly advice I can get.
Thanks,
Jen B.
Grand Rapids, OH
JB396 is offline   Reply With Quote