Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2009, 12:41 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Monterey , California
Epoxy - Loctite Products

Need to patch up my ABS trim panels in my 78 Argosy MH 28'. Looked at various products. But I was in Home Depot today and came across the following Loctite Epoxy products and I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on the products - I don't need a gallon of it, but I'll need more than a little squirt with some of the patching I need to do. Also, I need to sand it and paint it.

Loctite Consumer Retail Products | Product Detail

don
Don Landis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I can't tell you what will work, but can tell you what did not work for me on my ABS cracks in bathroom countertop. I've tried polyester resin, other epoxies, crazy glue, ABS cement and and Bondo. Also tried an ABS filler formula posted on the forums The cracks have always reappeared.

The products you listed look like its worth another try for me.

Also you might want to take a peek at my thread "Pesky cracks in 71 bathroom
counter"

Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Looks interesting.

I found a small crack - maybe 2" long - running up from a bottom corner of our shower interior wall.

I didn't figure I would have much luck bonding in with any adhesive, I never seem to have much luck with plastics.

Instead, I just drilled a small hole at the root of the crack to hopefully stop if from progressing further, then sealed the hole and crack with a flexible clear sealant. So far it seems to have worked.

I wouldn't mind trying to bond it though. Anyone know what sort of plastic the shower enclosure on a 2005 AS would be made from?

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Madison , Mississippi
I am doing a full Monty on a '78 Sovereign, so I have access to front and back of the pieces I am repairing. I am using the 20 min. Plastix bonder and fiberglass window screen on the back side to repair cracked ABS parts. Like Wingeezer I drilled a small hole at the end of the crack to keep it from running prior to applying the epoxy patch. I then sanded the area and wiped it with acetone prior to epoxying. My intention is to epoxy paint, with hopes of covering the repaired cracks. All that being said the Plastix bonder seems to be working fine and sticking to the ABS. The working time is @ 20 minutes with 12 to 24 hours to cure to a hard rubber consistancy. After several days it seems to harden to a more hard plastic consistancy. Which I think would make it easier to sand. If you are going to work from the front (visible) side, you might consider drilling the stop hole and gouging the crack with a dremel and then filling it in.
Birdwell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Get behind the visual side with
a reinforcing material(thin) and
sandwich the bonding adhesive
between. I used JB WELD "Plastic"
at the bottom of our shower drain
area. Scuff(scratch w/ sandpaper)
any (both) surfaces that will contact
the adhesive.
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
Need to patch up my ABS trim panels in my 78 Argosy MH 28'. Looked at various products. But I was in Home Depot today and came across the following Loctite Epoxy products and I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on the products - I don't need a gallon of it, but I'll need more than a little squirt with some of the patching I need to do. Also, I need to sand it and paint it.

don
Don....West System is an epoxy product that I have used in making repairs to my boat. They make a great product and they have a toll free number on their website that you can call and get advice on the use of their products. Their website is: Epoxy by the Leading Epoxy Manufacturer | WEST SYSTEM Epoxy
Old 11-23-2009, 11:20 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Monterey , California
Thanks for everyone's responses. I have all this ABS trim that frames the windows and kitchen, etc. The trim pieces have cracks and holes in them from many years and bad rehabs. I thought I'd just fill them in, sand, and paint over.

I checked into West and they have a great email tech service that I consulted. I'm just afraid I wouldn't be able to use all the material they have for sale on all my pieces - little drill holes are really just the problem.

don
Don Landis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The filler needs to stick to the ABS. One solution that I have used is to make a ABS cement, that you can buy at ACE for assembling ABS plumbing pipes, a lot thicker by dissolving more ABS in it and using it like airplane model cement to fill the holes. It dissolves and bonds to the parent ABS part better than any epoxy or polyester. I have also used Bondo type polyester body filler on some ABS parts and it sticks pretty good. They use a styrene monomer in it which seems to attack the Styrene part of the ABS and form a bond. It will not do as well on other plastic materials that are not styrene based. IE: polyethylene or polypropylene, PVC etc.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I have all the ABS parts out of my 68 Trade Wind. Had lots of cracks. I used West System Epoxy with glass cloth on the back side of the parts. Worked great, I did sand the surface and cleaned with MEK to remove all grime and dirt. The great thing about West is it is so easy to get the correct proportions of hardener and resin if you buy the pump kits. Aircraft Spruce has it as do most boat supply houses. Depending on the weather you can use different hardeners to increase of decrease pot life. Once you get good at using it you will be amazed at all the things you will find to fix with the epxoy. Also buy some of the micro balloon filler. It is great for building up low spots and filling big voids.
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
I suppose a person could use any of a number of
products....as long as they "STICK". I prefer things that
are:

1. Super sticky
2. Readily available
3. Cost effective

Of course, any reasonably good product will
"stick" if the surfaces are scuffed and cleaned
before application. The really good stuff will stick
to dirty and un-prep'd surfaces.....just like you like it!
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Landis View Post
don
Don,

I followed advice from some very knowledgable folks on this forum to fix a hole in my bathroom sink and used West System Epoxy from Aircraft Spruce. For my application I bought epoxy resin and hardener as well as fiberglass cloth. As mentioned earlier in the thread the pumps for the epoxy containers make the measuring part painless. I epoxied both sides of the sing then applied a small piece of fiberglass cloth on both sides and now it's as solid as a rock. I plan on following Andy's advice and coating the complete underside of the sink in epoxy and fiberglass cloth to add strength.

Even thought you mentioned that the holes you're filling are smaller than the one in my sink, something similar might work for your particular situation.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...ink-57114.html

Good luck.
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:18 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Salem , Alabama
Consult a bathtub refurbishing (color change/crack repair etc) outfit. Had a spare bathroom tub repaired/color change, 10 + yrs ago. Still looks new. Probably will provide product suggestions etc without charge.The tub was composite base; coated plastic.mel
woppa 4 is offline   Reply With Quote