Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Repairing/Replacing Floor &/or Frame
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2002, 10:27 PM   #1
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Penetrating Epoxy

I have read quite a few posts on the VACList about using penetrating epoxy to to repair rotten floors.

Here is a link to a penetrating epoxy sealer called CPES.

I am pretty sure the floor is not rotten anywhere on my '61 Bambi, but would like to do what I can now to protect her for another 40+ years!

- Would it be in my best interest to use penetrating epoxy as a sealer over the sanded floor to ensure no more rotting occurs?
- Can I install vinyl flooring as usual over the penetrating epxoy?

Are there any other products that can be purchased locally that can do a similar job?
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 04:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I have no experience doing the epoxy floor treatment in an Airstream. I have sealed wood in boats before but I think that is a little different case. The marine industry has some fine products out there that work and have been used for years.

What I would highly recommend though is that before doing this is to contact the manufacturer of any products that get suggested to you and ask for the products MSDS (Material Safery Data Sheet). Unlike a boat, an Airstream is a closed and sealed environment. I would hate to find out later that the products used were releasing any gases (out-gases) that could be harmful to you or would give off a chemical odor for years to come. This is the same reason floors, new and old, are done with indoor/outdoor plywood and why pressure treated plywood is not used on interior floors. If you watch the newer episodes of "This Old House" they always wear respirators now when working with pressure treated lumber.

"Life would be dull without chemicals"

Regards;
-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 07:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Andy, I repaired a few sections of floor with fiberglass resin and some sawdust mixed in as filler, I have used this on other projects. I applied several coats of Thompson water seal to the remainder of the floor. I figured if it hasn't rotted out in 34 years it sure won't with the repair and extra protection.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 08:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
I called Thompson's support line a couple of weeks ago and the engineer I spoke to told me that their products are for outdoor use only and should not be used in enclosed spaces. I specifically told him I wanted to use it to preserve the floor in a trailer and he said he would not recommend using it for this purpose as it will out-gas as it is a petroleum based product.

Please, always read the MSDS and if you have any doubt call the Manufacturer.

-BobbyWright

OK, I just called again to see if I would get the same answer. Again I was advised it is not recommeded for interior applications, but if it was used already lots of ventilation is required during the application and the interior should be ventilated until the gases evaporate, about 2 weeks. He said it will not cause you to grow 2 heads. He said until the petroleum base evaporates, it must be ventilated. About 14 days.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
Old 05-23-2002, 01:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Was that the Water Based product?

Just saw your added reply that makes more sense. I was thinking of selling my trailer because of this, not.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 05-23-2002, 02:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Was that the Water Based product?
I will call and ask them. He did not ask me which I now find kind of odd. My guess is that all their products have a petroleum emulsifier in them, but I will find out.

And isn't it strange that a water repellant is water based? Kind of like Jumbo Shrimp or a Near Miss....

-BobbyWright

Old 05-23-2002, 05:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Bob I think you are correct. This is the clean up from the water based product.

Clean brushes and equipment with soap and water. Dry product can be removed with mineral spirits.

First it was the asbestos from the Navy days now this. I am so upset.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 06-08-2002, 01:48 AM   #8

You should look into West System Epoxy. They seem to highly regarded among boat builders & home built aircraft enthusiasts. I think you can order it though Aircraft Spruce.

Stewart
CCHavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2002, 06:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
West System Epoxy can be bought at West Marine. I have used it on my boat it is good stuff, it might be overkill to use to repair a trailer floor.

I just remembered it is what I used to bed in my cherry cabin sole. I was bedding 1/2 " tongue and grove cherry needed real strength.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost

« - | Top | Got Dropsey? »