Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
maa
2 Rivet Member

Katy , Texas
Yet another generator question...2 AC Units

We are taking possession of a 2017 Flying Cloud 25FB unit in about 10 days and need to get a generator as we'll be doing boondocking every once in a while. We've settled on the Champion brand but my question is...the 25FB has two AC units. What size generator do we need? Will 3100 watts starting 2800 running be enough to run both? We are in Texas so AC is a must. Thanks in advance!!
maa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:05 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by maa View Post
We are taking possession of a 2017 Flying Cloud 25FB unit in about 10 days and need to get a generator as we'll be doing boondocking every once in a while. We've settled on the Champion brand but my question is...the 25FB has two AC units. What size generator do we need? Will 3100 watts starting 2800 running be enough to run both? We are in Texas so AC is a must. Thanks in advance!!
If you want to run both ACs you'd have to parallel 2 3kw generators or get some giant beast of a generator like the 7kw Honda at 260 lb. With a single 3k generator you'll have to choose one AC unit or the other to run at any given time, but frankly I wouldn't worry about it... just plan your boondocking for those few months when it's not summer here in TX and you'll be OK.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Since the largest inverter Champion is the 3500, I'd get that one dual fuel.
It won't be able to run two AC's. So your answer will be to use the thermostat, turn one to "Cool" and the other to "Fan Only". That way the air gets circulated but the load is minimized.
Unless you're camping in remote areas you won't run the generator as much as you think. Campgrounds supply 50 amp any more, and if you're stopping for lunch or at WalMart, it's great to cool off, but not 24/7.
To run 2 ac's, you'd need two Champions paralleled, or two larger Hondas, and then you get into weight/fuel/noise factors.
The 7 KW Honda is too tall to fit under a bed cover on a pickup. Everything is a compromise.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:31 PM   #4
maa
2 Rivet Member

Katy , Texas
Ok thanks! One AC at a time then [emoji4]. Is a regular generator okay to use or do we really need an inverter?
Old 07-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
You'll want an inverter for the quietness, if only for your, and your neighbors, hearing protection and good will. I have been parked next to folks using construction generators and it is VERY annoying.

Some national forest sites dont allow generators at all, even quiet ones. In those situations, solar is a must.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:41 PM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by maa View Post
Ok thanks! One AC at a time then [emoji4]. Is a regular generator okay to use or do we really need an inverter?
The regular generators are LOUD. If you're camping on land you own and know that no one will be around to complain about the noise, and you don't care about the noise, they're cheaper for the same capacity. If you think you'll ever use your generator camping with a group, camping in a Forest Service or other public lands where someone maybe camped near you, the construction-site generators are rude. If you camp in a national park the loud generators are prohibited.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #7
maa
2 Rivet Member

Katy , Texas
Ok inverter it is. We don't want to be the obnoxious newbies [emoji51]
Old 07-13-2017, 09:12 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
2018 27' Flying Cloud
2021 30RB Classic
Currently Looking...
Fredericksburg , Texas
I recommend installing the Micro-Air EasyStart[emoji769] 364 (3-ton) Soft Starter on one of your 2 a/c units. It will allow you run one of your a/c units with a single Honda e2000i inverter generator.

https://www.microair.net/collections...nt=30176048267

They were offering a discount when you used the code AIRSTREAM at check out when I ordered mine a few months ago. Not sure if they still are.

I am having my Honda e2000i converted to propane by GenconneX. You can purchase one already converted directly from them.

http://www.genconnexdirect.net/index.htm

Plenty of threads on both subjects in the Boondocking section of Airstream Forums
twbucksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Don't confuse inverter generators with inverters that supply AC from DC.
An inverter generator is one that doesn't need to run at a constant speed to provide stable power.

I think of them as "construction generators" vs. "camper" generators. The camper generators are enclosed, quiet, and efficient, unfortunately, more expensive. Construction generators are intended to run tools like drills and saws, not TV and A/C. They don't provide pure sine wave power, and need to run at multiples of 60. They have open frames, and are offensive to hear, even at a NASCAR race.
Every manufacturer makes both kinds. It's easy to tell the difference.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:02 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
the Honda 7000 runs both, has plenty of fuel for all night, and makes very little noise. the champion generators are loud and won't run 2

cheap never equates to good, skip the load reduction toys, all these ideas are toys in my opinion. I have a 7000 Honda in the back of my cap that works great.'

Go Big if you want to run with the big dogs or stay on the porch. it appears odd that folks spend big money on a AS and want to generate electric cheap, camp for free and tow with toys!!!
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:06 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Classic
2003 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 330 hp w/2slides
Shelby , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlM View Post
the Honda 7000 runs both, has plenty of fuel for all night, and makes very little noise. the champion generators are loud and won't run 2

cheap never equates to good, skip the load reduction toys, all these ideas are toys in my opinion. I have a 7000 Honda in the back of my cap that works great.'

Go Big if you want to run with the big dogs or stay on the porch. it appears odd that folks spend big money on a AS and want to generate electric cheap, camp for free and tow with toys!!!
What he said!!!
NCMEDIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:04 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
I realize you have decided on Champion.
Briggs and Stratton has the P2200 and the P3000 that can be paralleled together. I bought my P3000 on Amazon.
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Lemont , Illinois
Buy 2 generators that weigh under 60 pounds each and link them together to run 2 air conditioners with Easy-Starts installed. That way you'll get the cooling that you paid up for by choosing double air conditioners.

Also, you'll have the option to use just one generator if you only need one air conditioner. By owning two small units instead of one big one, the other will serve as a backup, and you won't hurt your back lifting one big generator.

I'm running my single AC on a 2000w Honda in ECO mode. It works perfectly, and I can lift and carry the generator easily. I'm sure Champion makes something that compares in wattage and weight to the Honda.

Call Matteo at Micro-Air, https://www.microair.net - he'll be able to tell you exactly what you'll need to make this setup happen.
Glenn T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Micro Air...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
If you want to run both ACs you'd have to parallel 2 3kw generators or get some giant beast of a generator like the 7kw Honda at 260 lb. With a single 3k generator you'll have to choose one AC unit or the other to run at any given time, but frankly I wouldn't worry about it... just plan your boondocking for those few months when it's not summer here in TX and you'll be OK.

I understand the dilemma...We are researching this now also. I like the Champion Dual Fuel 3100 with electric start but it will run only 1 AC. That may not be bad solution to use 1 AC as most 25's came with only 1 AC until last few years. We have had 3- 25's in Austin over the past 8 years, and never had dual AC; survived pretty well.

I think you can do pretty well in a newer 25 with using just 1 AC- the 1500AC unit with the ducted AC. That is unless your in 110 or higher...then I would suggest plugging in to shore power to use both AC's...or stay home till it cools down.

The MicroAir Easystart is certainly a great choice also and will work with your AC units, but seems to work only with Honda 2000i or Yamaha 2000; would not work with my Champion 2000. Yamaha or Honda run around $1K each; so does the DualFuel Champion, and it also has electric start.

So now that I have the new 28' with dual AC, I am leaning toward the Champion Dual Fuel; I called MicroAir and Mateo told me I would not need the Easystart with this unit, so that saves me some money for sure. I have heard of people running 2 generators with 2 A/C's. Not sure you need both in the 25; Perhaps others disagree... If money is no object, I would look at 2 Honda's or Yamaha 2000's with the propane option and link them and also the Micro Airs in each AC unit. I have recently seen posts detailing how to do this off your low pressure propane port. Good luck!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I am continually amazed by these generator discussions. For me, the key point was how easily can I lift it and put it in the truck. By all means, if you are a weight lifter, get a big generator and press on. But, I determined that 2000 was as big as I could go without hurting myself. If I needed two, I would buy two, but the Easy Start precludes the need for two. If I spent the money on 2 A/C's, I would just spend the money on another generator. We muddle through with one A/C, as outdated as that may be.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Lemont , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I called MicroAir and Mateo told me I would not need the Easystart with this unit, so that saves me some money for sure.
2 Thoughts:

1 My Honda 2000 ran my AC without the MicroAir, BUT it strained on startup, which was probably not good for either the AC or the generator.

With the MicroAir, there's no strain, plus I can run the generator in "ECO" mode rather than running it at full throttle. That makes it run much quieter and makes the gas tank last much longer.

2 With the MicroAir I can run the AC with the camper plugged straight into a standard electrical outlet. That's especially handy when you need to work on the camper when its on the driveway, or when visiting someone who lets you camp on their driveway.

I've got nothing to do with MicroAir, I'm just a customer who is really happy with the product.
Glenn T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:47 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Oilfield gate guards have Electric met with 15Kw trailer mounted diesel generators to run two AC units and all else while in the field.

Or, one can buy a utility-body 5500 Dodge and have a Moho-style 7500Wxinstalled in bed. Inspected one of those. Slick.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:38 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlM View Post
the champion generators are loud
I have a Champion 3400 Duel Fuel and only run it on propane. The noise level is comparable to the Honda and Yamaha.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:12 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
One day I'll get to "run with the big dogs" when I decide to trade my toy grand Cherokee in for an f350 so I can haul a 7000 watt generator and my 16 foot sport. For now I'll just " sit on the porch " with my toy easy start.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:45 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
13.5 or 1500 AC ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn T View Post
2 Thoughts:

1 My Honda 2000 ran my AC without the MicroAir, BUT it strained on startup, which was probably not good for either the AC or the generator.

With the MicroAir, there's no strain, plus I can run the generator in "ECO" mode rather than running it at full throttle. That makes it run much quieter and makes the gas tank last much longer.

2 With the MicroAir I can run the AC with the camper plugged straight into a standard electrical outlet. That's especially handy when you need to work on the camper when its on the driveway, or when visiting someone who lets you camp on their driveway.

I've got nothing to do with MicroAir, I'm just a customer who is really happy with the product.
Not sure the 2000W will start up a 1500AC, without the Easystart? Isn't yours a 13.5AC unit on the 20?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote