Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
Shallowater , Texas
Generators?

I may want to do some Boondocking. I own a 2002 Airstream Safari. What would be a recommendation for a generator big enough to run the AC? Brands, size, price? We pull the trailer with a pickup would loading it be a problem how do you guys deal with the whole generator issues?
lauleepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The conventional wisdom is to get a pair of 2000 watt inverter generators from either Yamaha or Honda and use the parallel cable available as an option to connect them together. That way each of the two will be small and light enough to handle.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Click "Search" on menu bar. Then, enter "Honda Yamaha", and select "Show posts".

Lots of info on generators, not just these brands.

Note: We have two Honda 2000's (the 2000i and 2000 Companion, mentioned above), for the reason noted (i.e., easier to lift, one at a time).
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Yep, hard to go wrong with these. I have one Honda EU2000i that will do everything BUT air conditioning. Eventually I will get a second one and parallel them together. Maybe....I'm getting ready to buy three Fantastic Vents to replace the worn out originals in my '87 and so if those will do the trick, then I might just get by on one.

Honda does have a new lighter weight 3000 watt inverter generator that might work well for you. The EU3000i weighs about 165 pounds and would be a handful. I think the new one (I believe it's called a "Companion") weighs about 80lbs. The EU2000i is 46 pounds, so a pair of those with a parallel cable does make a lot of sense.

I was in your boat a couple years ago. I read dozens of threads on here and agonized for a couple months. Basically, if you get a Honda or a Yamaha you can't go wrong. With those two it's down to a Ford/Chevy kind of thing. I went with Team Red because they seem to have a few more service centers, but primarily because my local bike dealer sells Honda. Either of those two are excellent. I can't speak for any other brand; you may find one that's just as good at half the price.

All I can say is that I've been very happy with my little Honda 2000 genny.

Best of luck!
Old 04-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I recently purchased the hondas. I have used them in parallel when I run the AC and separate for the TV and other small appliances. Because I run them so infrequently I do my best to only put regular gas in them and not the 10% ethanol. They are not that heavy as I lift them in out of my SUV. Hope this helps in your quest.

John
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2002 25' Safari
Shallowater , Texas
Thanks so much for the advice will get busy making the purchase for the Hondas.
lauleepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Go with caution if you elect an off brand. The 2 mentioned above are well tried and tested and give super service. There have been some postings regarding off brands ( ie. try China) that do not have the longevity you will see with the H's and Y's. Yes they cost more but will give you the service and hold value should you go to sell them down the road. Good luck

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Jim, the Honda 3000 lightweight is called a 3000 Handi.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Red & Blue for us too...

Had a Yami 1000 with our 63 Safari and now have a Honda 2000i.
Both were/are great units, well worth the investment.

Bob
Old 04-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Dealing with the same battle myself... going to be dry camping tonight for the first time,, and for free.. The state parks in Kansas are totally out of line,, car permits,,, trailer permits,, camping permits,, and then if you want water and power its another $20.. Then to slap a fellow in the face,, you have to be loaded up and off the ground at 2pm... I know they did that just to try and ding another $40 bill to enjoy the rest of the day...

My wife is not real hip on the idea of dry camping,, ,,but does not understand that we have 50 gallons of fresh water,, pump,, and all the lights we need.. I converted all the old glass bulbs high amp lights over to LED;s.. I think a flash light battery would run all the lights in our camper for a full night.. I found our little DC to AC inverter so the DVD player and tv will work,, so I cant see what we will be shy of..

But I'm looking more for a 8,000 to 10,000 watt unit that could handle 2 trailers at once.. Our son in law who farms with us has a SOB 5th wheel and 4 kids.. When summer gets here the AC is a must as we see 96f to 105f about every weekend..

Problem is,, once one gets away from the little 2000,, 3000 watt units the noise level goes off the scale.. Been searching for a larger unit that can run under 60 db level and have not found anything yet.. One would think,, if they went with a 1800 rpm 4 pole gen head it would help a lot to cancel out that lawn mower clatter.. Only the high end RV motor home units run 1800 rpms.. and are very pricey..

Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Jacksons Gap , Alabama
Lauleepro,
My experience with my Yamaha 3000si running the same size AC that you have in your Airstream is great. My friends with the paired 2000 have a fuel capacity problem and both running together are noisey. I can run all night on economy mode on a tank of fuel. The drawback to either the Honda or Yamaha 3000 watt size is the weight. Most people with a pickup can keep them in the bed of the truck. I drive a van and I built a lift that plugs into my hitch receiver that works very well to move it in and out. I do not dry camp much but when I do it may be for several days or weeks. I did have some trouble getting the heat pump to kick over when in some parts of Yellowstone. Altitude makes a difference on the power output.
I chose the Yamaha because it had wheels. I think Honda has an optional wheel package.
Frank
Frank McFee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Port Huron , Michigan
I have a 99 safari.I have a Yamaha .It's a 3000 I believe.It runds the AC just fine.Plus very quiet,I've had people stop and look at it because it runs so quiet.Very dependable unit.Highly recommend it. DR J
mi silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Kansas State Parks and Intolerance...

Quote:
Dealing with the same battle myself... going to be dry camping tonight for the first time,, and for free.. The state parks in Kansas are totally out of line,, car permits,,, trailer permits,, camping permits,, and then if you want water and power its another $20.. Then to slap a fellow in the face,, you have to be loaded up and off the ground at 2pm... I know they did that just to try and ding another $40 bill to enjoy the rest of the day...
Not to hi-jack this thread, but Sodbust hit a nerve. I've had my run-in with Kansas State Parks and Rec. I won't be going back to a state run park there, for sure. An open beer outside of the 'camping' area will run upwards of $120.00, no warning offered, ha-ha. They love their fees. My fault, learned and moved on. There is a nice Federal camp ground on at Lake Wilson (I-70 near Russell), but other than that, go to a private camp ground, or boondock, or drive on.

Philip
Old 04-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Depending upon your AC unit, it may run on a Yamaha 2400 - mine does, but mine's an 11k AC. Bought mine with propane conversion from US Carburetion, and it runs on propane just fine and does o.k. with the AC. I don't think a 2400 watt gennie will run a 15k AC, and I am unsure about a 13.5k unit.

But with new solar panels and a 3-battery bank, I don't take the generator along any more: I fiind that a Fantastic Vent and a Fantastic Fan keep me pretty comfortable up to about 95+, and it's seldom that hot at night for sleeping where I go ... so the Yamaha sits in the garage now.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just an opinion, but two Honda 2000s do not sound twice as loud as one. Not sure about the scientific explanation; but to my ear, two seem to be only marginally louder. In fact, from an adjacent camp spot in most campgrounds, if you don't look and see two units, you'd think only one was running. Also, the Hondas and Yamahas are quiet enough that from an adjacent camp spot, you can barely hear them running. And, if you can't actually see them, you can't tell which camp site has them.

When we walk our dog, we usually ask our campground neighbors that are out if our generator(s) disturb them. If they do, we try to limit usage to when they are not at their camp site, or when they are inside their RV. However, to date, we have never had anyone complain about generator noise. Usually, they comment on how quiet they are, and frequently ask to take a look at them.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodbust View Post
But I'm looking more for a 8,000 to 10,000 watt unit that could handle 2 trailers at once.. Our son in law who farms with us has a SOB 5th wheel and 4 kids.. When summer gets here the AC is a must as we see 96f to 105f about every weekend..

Problem is,, once one gets away from the little 2000,, 3000 watt units the noise level goes off the scale.. Been searching for a larger unit that can run under 60 db level and have not found anything yet.. One would think,, if they went with a 1800 rpm 4 pole gen head it would help a lot to cancel out that lawn mower clatter.. Only the high end RV motor home units run 1800 rpms.. and are very pricey..

Sodbust
Here ya go Sodbust.
Honda EU6500i Super Quiet Generator
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Champion 2000

I have to challenge the conventional wisdom here. I bought two Champion 2000 watt gens at Costco with the connection device. Time will tell. I got the gens for 450.00 each and the connecting kit was 65.00. They look well made, are stackable and quiet. I'll let you know in a year from now how they are.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:53 AM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
"Just an opinion, but two Honda 2000s do not sound twice as loud as one. Not sure about the scientific explanation; but to my ear, two seem to be only marginally louder"

No sound engineer here either....but I read this as 3db louder for 2 genset's,(power), running together.

"A change in power ratio by a factor of 10 is a 10 dB change. A change in power ratio by a factor of two is approximately a 3 dB change."

Bob
Old 04-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
I love my Honda 2000's. They are very quiet, run everything and are durable. They are easy to move and start. I can't see owning anything else.
Beer Snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I started with a Yamaha 2400i with the LP conversion and used it when I went to dog trials. But when we travel, we just camp where there's electric if it's very hot. I carry a Honda 1000 just to top off the batteries when we boondock. But I've never needed to use it as we go several days and then hit a campground to charge, dump tanks and fill up with fresh water. And we don't like to go where it's hot.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote