Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2016, 08:51 PM   #61
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Minnetrista , MN
As a Minnesota flatlander , I understand the concept of using the engine/transmission to manage your speed. Can you help me understand when you should apply the trailer brakes manually. I have an integrated braking system.
Wesair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:17 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Apply the trailer brakes manually every morning when you leave the campground. I do it when we are moving at about 5 mph just to make sure they are working.

It is a complete mystery to me why anyone would use half of their vehicle's brakes (i.e: just the trailer's brakes through manual application) at the point when their need for braking capability is at its maximum (i.e.: on a steep downhill).

As you begin the downhill after cresting a pass, use lower gearing (your tow vehicle manufacturer tells you how to do that in the owners manual). Use every brake you've got (ok... not every brake... save the emergency brake) if the drive train isn't holding the speed you want.

I guess there is one case where I would apply trailer brakes manually on a steep downhill grade... if the brake pedal of my truck went to the floor and braking action from its use stopped completely.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:43 AM   #63
Rivet Master

Wesair...

I can think of two instances that when I would apply just the trailer brakes.

#1 If I got into a trailer oscillating sway situation ( it's like a dog waging it's tail) Applying just the trailer brakes helps you stabilize the trailer.

#2 If I was stopping quickly on a curve, especially on wet or gravel OR downhill surfaces. Applying just the trailer brakes helps prevent the trailer from pushing the tow vehicle into a jack knife.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:05 AM   #64
Rivet Master

I was told by my brother…...

First off…, that I was a no good for nothin' flatlander.

Secondly, that some seasoned mountain drivers, to avoid riding, and ruining there brakes, to avoid stressing there transmission and engine…simply come to a complete stop every so often, when on long downhills.

Obviously traffic would have to be light
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:00 AM   #65
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
A few years ago we were in Rocky Mtn Natl Park, when the big rains hit, and knocked out both roads heading south and east. Many parts of Estes Park were under water. We had to take Trailridge Road out then we went through Winter Park on Highway 40 on the way down to I-70. I'm not sure which pass that was. We pull a 23FB with a Tundra. I just did 2nd gear down the mountain, and had no issues. For me, a man of very limited patience, I just have to go slow, and take my time. If you hurry, I think you could get in trouble pretty easily.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:50 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Wesair from Minnesota "flatlands". I lived in Minnesota for 16 years. Loved it. I've been through Fairmont many times. I moved to Colorado and pulling my 34 foot nearly 7500 pound loaded Airstream down these long 7% grades takes some practice. Your approach is right on. Do like the big semi trucks do, get in the right lane, turn on your flashers, and keep that speed down. My Super Duty diesel is a blessing in these mountains. The "tow / haul" feature allows significant engine braking to the point I can go down a 5% grade at 45mph in 3rd gear without using vehicle or trailer brakes at all.

So we are planning a trip going north on Colorado highway 40 from I-70 to Estes Park with other stops along the way. Did you notice any steep switch backs that I might have trouble bending a 22 foot long truck with a 34 foot long trailer around?

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:48 AM   #67
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
So we are planning a trip going north on Colorado highway 40 from I-70 to Estes Park with other stops along the way. Did you notice any steep switch backs that I might have trouble bending a 22 foot long truck with a 34 foot long trailer around?

David
If I remember correctly, there were some fairly tight switchbacks, but none that seemed to really catch my attention. Its the tight right hand turns into a switchback that seemed the worst. I also do not recall any signs warning trucks to stay off the roads due to tight turns. I did notice those signs on Independence Pass, coming back from Aspen towards Leadville. (We had gone over Hagerman Pass on the way over, both without the trailer.) I wish I had a better recollection of the drive. It was actually fairly uneventful. We enjoyed the views, but were still in shock from what we had seen in Estes Park, and what we were hearing on the news.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:11 AM   #68
1 Rivet Member

Went over Monarch pass twice this past week with my F150 pulling my '14 25 FB Serrentiy. No problems, just took it a little slow. Did it during the middle of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Perker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:01 AM   #69
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I tried to edit my post above regarding tight right hand turns. Those would be on the assent, not coming down the pass. Couldn't edit for some reason.
Thx

Old 09-22-2016, 08:29 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
2016 26' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
We finished up 6 weeks in Colorado. The Million Dollar Hwy was the one that had me clenching the most- especially since the rain waited until we were on the downslope...
Breezinalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 02:33 PM   #71
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2006 25' Safari FB SE
1999 19' Bambi
Buda , Texas
Hwy 12 in Utah......cringe

We have done some of the passes in Colorado, but the no guardrails and steep dropoffs in addition to being able to see for miles and miles and miles (many times down) were scary for me as a passenger. Husband did an awesome job driving but I felt like Lucy in the Long, Long Trailer, but I couldn't even talk and for me - that is a rarity.....never again for me - driving or riding Hwy 12 between Bryce and Torrey....
london1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:48 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Interesting you mention Highway 12 in Utah. I wanted to drive it pulling my 34' Airstream. The folks at the Bryce area campground office did not advise it. So we went around on a more boring road up to I-70.

We saw the campers we met in the Bryce campground area when we got to Moab. Turns out they drove Highway 12 and loved it. They felt I would not have had any problems even though my trailer was longer.

I took some tight switchbacks today where my long trailer encroached into the other lane a bit (left turns). I didn't want the nose of my Super Duty to hit the guardrail. Those tight turns are one reason I might avoid a mountain road. Another is snow. We had snow over Vail pass today, although at 36 degrees it was not icy in any way. Mountain weather changes fast.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:57 AM   #73
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Bouldero , Colorado
This is my first post, currently planning to buy the AirStream rig my grandparents have lived in for the last 16 years (and that I have been dreaming of owning since I was 9)... This rig is a longbed 2500 chevy with the 1984 34' Excella trailer. THIS is a rig that needs serious question before taking on any mountain pass road, let alone those crazy 1.5 lane roads that take you from mountain town to mountain town. Most likely I will be saying NO WAY to a lot of them and taking the way that a semi truck would prefer.

Anybody with a 34' airstream have experience in this area?!
Bobpuvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:21 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
London1201 in Post #71 is a very common reaction to the roads blasted into the sides of the Rocky Mountains for access to gold and silver mines of the 19th Century!

Interstate 70 of the western third of Colorado is a great example of how the Colorado River did much of the work excavating soft rock. I-70 is then dug in or 'layered' to fit between towering cliffs of rock. Road closures are common due to rock falls... year round. If it is raining... keep a close watch of the possible rock debris ON the road.

With the Spring Snow Melt of the Colorado... the bicycle paths up to the sides of the Interstate is white water and menacing to those looking at this torrent of water heading to Lake Powell and Hoover Dam!

Often you will encounter 'signs' that warn those towing any kind of trailer according to length.

Independence Pass, leaving Aspen and heading East to the pass, is a good example. The WARNING sign appears as you enter the lower access towards the Pass. You cannot stop and turn around once you see the LARGE sign. There is NO way to exit. The asphalt road has short 'guard rails' that would prevent a bicyclist from going over into the chasm below... but a trailer or automobile... just for looks, in my opinion. It is the WIDTH of some of the blasted out of solid granite that is the problem. It is difficult enough with two large pickups on several curved sections. There is no room for error. We were unfortunate to discover this oursevles, but lucky, getting funneled onto this road and the lack of traffic made the trip without incident at the narrow sections. Enough, barely, for two pickup trucks, where one hugs the guard rail and the other the drainage ditch on the inside of the road. The inside lane... for those coming into Aspen have the distinct advantage. If... you wanted an option to try this one.

At Independence Pass... there is NO warning sign about towing a trailer down to Aspen... apparently only warning those on the OUTSIDE LANE going east out of Aspen.

In New Mexico one large sign towards the Gila Wilderness, warns drivers with trailers over 20 feet travel is not recommended. The fifty miles of dirt road appears to be wide and well maintained... and about 30 miles south of the sign... there are dry creek beds that would hang up the tow vehicle and trailer. The tow vehicle stuck coming up one side and the trailer stuck on the going down side. So be careful. All it takes is ignoring a 'warning sign'.

We were towing our 23 foot Safari... survived, but never a second time.

I do not recommend ANY sized travel trailer pass this sign! Been there and had it not been for the road grader fixing the road from the previous year's traffic... we would have not continued to the two make it or break it spots on this road.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:27 AM   #75
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Welcome! That sounds like a wonderful opportunity to get into Airstreaming. Never hurts to start careful.

Meanwhile feel free to start a fresh thread to get detailed input on your new-to-you 34' Airstream. One quick thought: given the age of the trailer, you may want to look at maintenance items that typically arise at that point in its life, especially before towing over mountain passes, etc.

Best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobpuvel View Post
This is my first post, currently planning to buy the AirStream rig my grandparents have lived in for the last 16 years (and that I have been dreaming of owning since I was 9)... This rig is a longbed 2500 chevy with the 1984 34' Excella trailer. THIS is a rig that needs serious question before taking on any mountain pass road, let alone those crazy 1.5 lane roads that take you from mountain town to mountain town. Most likely I will be saying NO WAY to a lot of them and taking the way that a semi truck would prefer.

Anybody with a 34' airstream have experience in this area?!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #76
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
The only real challenging mountain road I recall traveling is Colorado Rt. 149 between Creede & Lake City. It is also the only one that I felt the need to stop at the bottom to let my brakes cool down. I was towing a 30' AS with a 3500 Dodge diesel. Would I do it again ?? Sure. It's a decent road just a bit steep and narrow but if you keep your speed under control and look ahead on the curves I have no problem going up or down these roads.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Oops... no road sign photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3568.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	272665  
Old 04-10-2017, 11:43 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Bumping this Thread to those intending to tackle the many high mountain Passes in Colorado this year.

They remain just as challenging as they have been since horse drawn wagons... Passes are rated on some site you can find on a Google Search. Colorado 'offers you the best of the best' if that is what you are looking forward to experiencing.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I tried Imogene Pass between Ouray and Telluride many times on my motorcycle. I chickened out every time. OMG! I finally took the jeep tour to the pass at 13,114'.
The road(?) was built in the 1880's to supply the miners by mule.
After that, no paved mountain roads seemed as scary.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:35 PM   #80
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Has anyone ever gone up or down Route 261, better known as the Moki Dugway out of Medicine Hat, Utah? We've towed our boat down from Lake Powell a couple of times, but never seen a trailer on the route. Every time we travel on it, I think of Lucy and Desi in that scene from the Long Trailer going up and up at that obviously faked steep angle.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote