Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2019, 08:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
wilmington , Delaware
Boondocking > COACH BATTERY

I am only getting about a night of battery use once battery is charged after drive to next destination. My coach battery was tested and holds a charge. After running fantastic fan and a small fan thru 12 volt cigarette lighter throughout night, I have seen my fridge turn off, my generator not start and a beep occurs. My coach battery was new about 18 months ago and 25k miles. The most I ever got without starting my 2006 class b airstream interstate 2500 is 3 nights. I'm not sure I am explaining my situation well enough for someone to help me...I boondock 80% of the time.

Please help if you can. THANKS!!!!!!! Scott
weather command is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
My 2 cents:
Do you have a battery monitor? Battery Voltage? AH or Watt-hr size of battery?

Here is the type of calculation: Average load in amps times number of hour used equals energy used in AH.

If you have something like 12 hours of usage and 2 amps of average current you would have used 24 AH. Using the 50% battery size as the amount available energy rule of thumb. A 100 AH battery should give you two days of use.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 03:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by weather command View Post
. . .
Please help if you can. THANKS!!!!!!! Scott
Scott, FWIW you might find a better audience in the "Sprinter and B-Van" forum, where many battery-related threads are available. The group knowledge there is amazing IMO:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/

My impression is that 1-3 nights of boondocking with your stock Interstate setup is normal, but the folks in the IS forum should have better advice.

If your battery charger/converter/inverter [Interstate terminology uncertain?] is stock and OEM, you might need to confirm that it is operating correctly IMO.

Good luck,

Peter

FYI/FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:29 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Mesa , Arizona
After visiting the Airstream Interstate Sprinter forum you will probably feel pretty good about the performance you are getting. The fridge will frequently suck your batteries down overnight.
Moodywelman is offline   Reply With Quote