Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Twin Lakes , Wisconsin
Shipping skins or panels....???

I've had a few requests for the panels off of our parts donor Airstream. Has anyone shipped these? I have used U-Ship for large items before, but I don't know all the weights to get a rough estimate. Then packaging them is another issue.
redreefet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Am also interested in shipping larger AS parts - we have a person interested in our AS door - wants to ship to Texas from WA - in this case, would assume a wooden crate is required, which probably would weigh more than the door!
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Bubble wrap wrapping on the part, then in a heavy-duty cardboard box, with all the voids filled with more bubble wrap. L-O-T-S of bubble wrap.

If you cant get a thick enough cardboard, double the walls with sheets of cardboard from other large boxes.

Seal all the edges shut, things can leak in shipping. Nasty things.

Use USPS as often as you can. Their rates are competitive, and they seem more able to not destroy your shipped item. I call UPS naughty names when I'm alone; they can destroy anything.

Oh, and if you have to ship to Canada avoid UPS completely: they have redonk-yew-lus "brokering" charges over the border. If your buyer wants to use them, warn them!

You shouldn't be ashamed of advising your buyer of large items that he (or she) will have to pay for the packing materials needed to give their item a chance to make it there in one piece, and bubble wrap is not cheap.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Twin Lakes , Wisconsin
Looks like they're about $250 to ship & I would have to package/crate them. Maybe I should just stick with local pick up.
redreefet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Shrinkwrap the door. You can buy the type that shrinks with a hairdryer. Then put it into or wrap loosely with plastic sheating. Get yourself a heavy duty carboard box. The type that appliances come in. Squirt in expanding foam available at any local hardware store. Thats it!
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
To ship the skins roll the tight and put them in a box. I ordered 32 linial ft of aluminum the was 4' wide. It came in a box, via UPS, that was about 16" square

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body panels, shipping, skin