Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Ingram , Texas
interior cabinet latch stuck closed in 63 trotter

A very short history. I owned this very same 63 trotter 23 years ago. I bought it again last year and paid twice as much as I paid for it in '85. So when I curse the PO, it could have been me.
Our trailer has the wooden orginial cabinets and latches, although the PO painted them, not me, some other guy. Anyway, on one of the overheads, the latch is stuck closed. It turns as it should, but it will not release. I can feel the pin as it rotates in the keeper, but it will not go into the slot to unlatch it.
I hoping you guys know a trick or two to open that cabinet. It is against the closet wall, so if push comes to shove, I could cut a hole in closet wall into the cabinet and take the thing apart. I do not want to do that, so help!
ChicknKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Can you put up a picture of the cabinet, I'm curious about the cabinets. My '63 has sliding doors( in tracks ) which are not hard to remove. Not really sure what you are up against.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Ingram , Texas
Sliding doors sound really about now. I will try to up pics tomorrow when one of my kids comes home and shows me how.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Having had those knobs and latches, they have little "points" that stick out, and catch the latching lever. You can try pushing in the knob while turning it, you may catch the latch and get it to open. Once you get it open, try to remove the knob (there is the small rod with the little points on it that should come out with it), and make sure the points aren't worn off.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
You can look at my cabinets in a post- refinished at last
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:52 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Ingram , Texas
I got open, I broke the small pin, but I got it open. Now to find the pin and make sure that it won't stick again. Thanks for the help,
'Ppreciate it
Chick