Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2018, 02:07 PM   #1
mweberg

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
White wire in battery box?

In the battery box of my 2018 Flying Cloud 23FB there is a white wire that is not connected to anything? The wire looks to be about a 10 gauge wire with a round terminal connector crimped on the end. Does anyone know where this wire should be connected? The dealer who is in another state replaced the second battery, but did not hookup this wire.
mweberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:17 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Weird as it may seem, white is likely ground / negative. That would suggest it goes on the negative terminal of the battery. Best not to guess. Trace it out to where ever it originates ( the jack maybe or a solar adapter ) and then hook it up. based on the wiring diagram for that device.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:42 AM   #3
mweberg

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thanks Bob for your input. I will try to trace it back. My guess is that it is to a solar panel option that I do not have. Would you recommend getting a solar panel to keep the batteries charged or just monitor the voltage and use a battery charger, if needed? Marlys
Old 06-25-2018, 08:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The brake brake-away switch is normally wired directly to the batteries. Try tracing in that direction.

If it is the brake-away switch i would never go back to that dealer for anything other than direction to a different dealer.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:05 AM   #5
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
The electric jack wire????
Old 06-25-2018, 09:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I have a 2017 FC and don't have a white wire.
The Zamp connector is a pair of black wires to the plug outside the battery box, while the jack is a black wire with a yellow crimp connector.
The breakaway switch, at least for me, is not in the battery box. I believe it goes from a terminal strip inside to the blue wire in the 7-pin. (which is why any battery box disconnect must be "ON" when towing.)

Perhaps the dealer didn't connect it because he didn't recognize it either.
I'd probably tape it over and tuck it aside so it wouldn't accidentally find a terminal before you discover it's purpose.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweberg View Post
Thanks Bob for your input. I will try to trace it back. My guess is that it is to a solar panel option that I do not have. Would you recommend getting a solar panel to keep the batteries charged or just monitor the voltage and use a battery charger, if needed? Marlys
Hi

One way to figure it out is to go around trying this or that. The gizmo that does not work is the one that goes to the white wire . If everything works then your guess about the un-used solar setup is probably correct.

=====

If you store the trailer in a sunny area, even a modest solar setup will do a fine job keeping the batteries topped up. We stored outdoors for a while and it was a great thing. We now store indoors and .... not so much .

The problem is that the batteries will likely die in a week or two due to parasitic loads in the trailer. Running back and forth with the battery charger can be a bit of a pain. A *lot* depends on exactly what you do and how you are set up.

Solar while camping is a similar sort of thing. If you camp in the shade and it rains a lot ... not a big benefit. If you are in the part of the country where both rain and shade are a scarce item ... much more useful.

Bob
Old 06-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #8
Mad Scientist

2017 23' Flying Cloud
CULPEPER , Virginia
White wire in battery box

I have a 2017 Flying Cloud 23FB- and I don't have a white wire in the box. However, according to the schematics in the owner's manual ( pg 86 in my manual), there should be a 10 Ga white wire from the 7 pin trailer plug (pin 4) to the ground buss inside the trailer under the front LHS of the bed- perhaps they forgot to route that wire and instead just planned on connecting it to the battery negative inside the box. A little sleuthing with an ohmmeter should determine if they left out this VERY necessary wire. All grounds on the 12 VDC side of the AS are white.

Sam

KE5IRZ
samletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:43 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Petaluma , California
My break away switch and electric jack are both grounded by touching the frame. We have a large white wire that is connected to the battery which is for our solar panel.
cgseanp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:57 PM   #10
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
How about a couple photos, showing where it's coming from. That might help us help you figure it out.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:47 PM   #11
mweberg

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thank you all for responding. I will try to trace it back and take a couple of pix as well. My hunch is that it is for the solar panels which I do not have, (yet). Marlys
Old 06-26-2018, 06:41 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweberg View Post
Thank you all for responding. I will try to trace it back and take a couple of pix as well. My hunch is that it is for the solar panels which I do not have, (yet). Marlys
Hi

No matter what it is ... it's odd. If your solar was an after market install, that may be what's going on. Factory solar does not generally result in a white wire hanging loose anywhere

Bob
Old 06-28-2018, 09:27 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Santa Rosa , California
Hi mweberg, I have a 2018 25' Cloud with a dual AC (50 amp) and solar kit. I just replaced my replaced my batteries under warranty. I believe have the white wire in question. Mine originates driver-side, from a "bundle" of 3 wires; black, red and white, all are nearly the same heavy gauge. My white wire attaches to the negative post on the passenger-side battery. I can't figure out how to add the picture I took.

-Sean-
SeanWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:50 PM   #14
mweberg

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thanks Sean! I've been kind of thinking that the white wire has something to do with the solar panels and this is why the dealer did not have it hooked up. Thank you for your input!

On another topic, does your water pump effectively pump out water from your fresh water tank? Or, does it spit out lots of air and consequently have very little water pressure? I'm curious to know how your 25 ft Cloud water pump works compared to the one in my 23 ft?

Thanks,
Marlys
Old 07-02-2018, 10:41 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Santa Rosa , California
I haven't experienced any water pump issues. I'm definitely not the expert here, but it sounds more like air in your lines. I recall reading a thread somewhere here detailing how to purge air from the lines. If you have a loose connection, or one without teflon tape, maybe it's pulling air with water. Try posting your issue in the section covering water lines etc.

-Sean-
SeanWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote