Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2004, 07:10 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Still stumped and no pump

I do not know if my original post was so silly or complicated or boring but it never got a reply. Problem is I am still in the dark. My control panel does not work correctly. My convertor/ invertor was changed out and now when I turn on the pump switch the pump indicator light goes out and the pump does not turn on. The pump works fine, I pulled it out and tested it. When I turn on the light switch to the panel the gauges turn off.
Please someone come up with an answer for my 1975 rear bath Tradewind.
Chaplain Kent
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 07:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Maybe because it is a really strange problem and you didn't give us much to go on. Is is converter or inverter? Is it grounded/wired properly? Shouldn't the pump light be off until the switch is on? Have you traced wires/voltages and found anything that is a starting point to help you?

Did the pump work properly before the installation of the inverter/converter? If so look at the installation.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Argosy24MH
Maybe because it is a really strange problem and you didn't give us much to go on. Is is converter or inverter? Is it grounded/wired properly? Shouldn't the pump light be off until the switch is on? Have you traced wires/voltages and found anything that is a starting point to help you?

Did the pump work properly before the installation of the inverter/converter? If so look at the installation.

John
John,
I am not certain if it did or not. The pump never worked since we bought the trailer. The converter was replaced right after we bought the trailer by a mechanic who said he did not understand the control panel. Now let me add one other strange item to this tale. When we took our maiden voyage to Florida last winter and I needed to winterize before returning to Wisconsin for some reason the pump worked! I was able to use it to put anti-freeze into the lines.
Yes, the pump switch is off until the switch is on but when I hook up the hot wire to the pump and turn on the switch, then touch the negative wire to the pump the light goes off..
How can I tell if the converter is grounded properly?
Kent
Old 06-28-2004, 11:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Hmmmm - the mechanic did not understand the control panel - - - - - - - - -

I think all you can do is check wires that are connected to the converter and make sure they were hooked up correctly. Also make sure that any ground straps are securely attached - with it being intermittent, sounds to me like its a grounding problem.

Wiring problems can be a bit of a challage - need to trace wiring one at a time until you find the one that is not doing its job.

I've also got a 75 Tradewind if that helps at all. My light goes on when I switch the pump on.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 02:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
Yes, the pump switch is off until the switch is on but when I hook up the hot wire to the pump and turn on the switch, then touch the negative wire to the pump the light goes off..
That confuses me, you need to clarify. There should be 2 heavy wires into the converter. One will be hot the other ground. Use your voltmeter to find the hot, check resistance on the other to a ground, it should be near 0 ohms. Move it and see if it changes. If you have the manual for the converter it should have a pictorial that shows the ground location.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 08:36 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Problem Solved

I have spent the past several days checking each wire from the converter to the control panel as well as removing all the old wires from the former converter. I finnally ended up using the wires to the vent fan over the stove for the pump. The control panel now works perfectly and the pumps works as well. Why the pump would not work with its original wiring will remain a mystery.
Kent