Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2006, 09:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
Guy,
I just came across your thread here. Will this this info help you out? I hope so. My Caravel is absolutely no tech.
https://www.mydistantnetworks.com/faq.htm
I looked at their web site, looks promising although the FAQ does not mention RV declarations.

I've sent them an email and will report back.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:52 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
I emailed these guys asking about RV Declarations.

They responded but did not answer the question. So I'm not going to pursue this any further since I have already switched to Directv.

For those of you on Dish it may still be worth checking into.

Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
Old 12-01-2006, 12:18 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
A little more information on this option

I got this from another forum so cannot be sure how accurate it is

NPS will beam DNS for $9 per month, using Atlanta and San Franciscostations, over Dish Satellite 119. It appears that NPS, which until now has provided programming only for C-Band subscribers, has never heard of an RV waiver. Nobody appears to know if they will have RV waivers or not.

All parties involved are in court in Florida as I type this; the networks are asking that Echostar be held in contempt, and that the original injunction be reworded to make it clear that it applies to anyone using an Echostar satellite for transmission.

Old 12-03-2006, 06:18 AM   #24
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Well everyone, with so many dish problems I think you helped us decide; forget about it! Too much hassle. When we camp at SP we are boondocking anyway and when at a KOA or Good Sams 60% of the time they have cable. For the other times Barnes & Nobles has some really great books, and with the cost of a DVD, hey we can one watch it and then share it.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:35 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Rickandsandi,
Generally SAT tv is no problem. We have had and used it in the rv several years. These problems we are having with dish are very new. Hopefully they will be resolved, maybe not.
We also went several years with no TV. We went to bed early, read many books and spent lots of time outdoors. far better than sitting on the sofa watching TV when we all know...There is nothing on TV.
Good luck and happy camping!!!
Gryphon
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:41 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
changfe sucks!

Caught in the Dish change myself. Just had my local affiliates changed from San Francisco to Sacramento based only on my zip code. I have had the SF local channels for several years (more than five) and now suddenly I am a Sacramento boy?

Jer

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:09 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Keewatin , Ontario
Any Canucks have info about Bev or StarChoice? I am thinking of replacing the "aluminum clothesline" on the roof for a "wok". I currently have Starchoice at home and want to take the receiver with us when we travel.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:21 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Back to the original thread.
Fewer holes in the Airstream makes me happy!
Satelite dishes as much as 200' from the unit, my TV on WITH RECEPTION, makes me happy.
Reception while parked under a shade tree makes me happy.
Replacement dishes for tripod mounts can be found for mere cents, yet repair/replacement of a roof mount are exhorbitant.
make mine a portable tripod mount.
Also, if you are going to spend much time WAY up in Canada or Alaska, a larger, more proficient dish can be purchased for that travel (weak signals). Roof mounts do not have that option.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:25 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quick update....Supreme Court refused to hear the Dishnet work case yesterday.....Colorado senator reintroduced the bill so that residents of LaPlata, Acheleta and Montezum counties could get Denver TV..With all do respect to our neighbors to the south, Albuquerque TV news sucks!
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:48 AM   #30
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
When I was at the factory at one point, I saw that the factory installed one of those domed rooftop units to one of the trailers in production.

I agree some that the fewer holes you put in the roof the better, but if you are as much of a TV fiend as I am and you are in the trailer a lot and at different locations, maybe a mounted one would be best. If the last three statements aren't true....my guess would be that a tripod would be a better idea.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:52 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Directv has a 'disaster recovery kit' that comes with a dish, tripod and cable for $49.95. I use that and it is pretty easy to setup.
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:18 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I put on a Winegard Trav'ler Sat antenna a couple of weeks ago, and it's great!

The large dish (bigger than the dome units) with three LNB's pic up the three Dish Sat's, and you have the option to attach up to 3 coax cables. I ran 2 cables, in case we want a 2nd TV later.

It's neat to push one button and let the Trav'ler's electronics move the dish around on the roof to seek the best signal...it even performs a 'slew' to peek the signal!

Yeah, sure there's the 'tree thing' to deal with once in a while...makes life interesting. We have our Vuqube we used in our Truck Camper that has a remote control used to find the Sat signals, on a 50 ft coax to get around the 'tree thing'...we've used the tripod/antenna system in the past, which works if you want to fool with that sort of thing.

The Trav'ler mounts with only a few screws around the base of the unit, and of course a hole for the cables. They give you a plastic cover for the cables where they go through the roof...you fill it up with sealant, and no worries about leaks!

Anyway, we're spoiled with the 'one button' routine now, and I wouldn't give it up...AND we can now get HD signals from Dish Net when we upgrade our receiver! HD sports while out in the 'sticks' will be kinda neat, indeed!

Here's a long shot...