Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2020, 02:26 PM   #41
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmitch View Post
2 Battleborn 100 amp batteries weight 61 pounds and offer160 amps of usable power. Will last at least 3000 cycles. Cost per cycle is less than cheap lead acid batteries. One can always take out the lithium batteries and put them in a new trailer.

Why are you de-rating by 40Ah?

Bob
🇺🇸

I re-charge at a max of 180ah usage. What am I missing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F073D681-DB66-4E5D-8388-65DD2FACEFBD.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	373846  
Old 07-26-2020, 06:44 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Nowhere yet , ALL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctimberlake View Post
I am in need of replacement AGM batteries for my 2019 GT.
The batteries simply won’t hold a sustained charge. I believe I’m responsible for this by draining them too far too many times.
The prices at the Airstream Dealers seem on the high side. Does anyone have any reasonable solutions for a pair of new ones? Amazon? Which brand? They are GPL 24-T. 80 amp hours. Thanks for any suggestions or experiences.
I hope this will be useful to many of you. I am awaiting the arrival of two Lifeline AGM 6 volt batteries for my 2019 Globetrotter. I am paying $203 each plus shipping. 225 AH each up from the 80 AH of the originals. Lithium is a good option but too much $$$$ for the amount of use so far.
I realize that the batteries need to be run in series not parallel. It seems there are two power connections to the existing positive terminals, (One to each battery) which I would guess is not possible with the new ones.
Is there anything I need to know when connecting the new batteries to avoid electrical problems? Yes shut down everything that draws power. Will the existing terminal wires suffice? And yes they will fit in the compartment......Any suggestions? Again, thank you ALL for inputs
ctimberlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:59 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
You should be able to use the same wires and you are aware of the difference between running 2 x 12V batteries compared to running 2 x 6V batteries.

Once you get your new batteries installed, you will know if the cables need to be adjusted. I would think that you might need to replace the short cable that runs between the batteries in the box only if it is too short to reach between the posts. The 2 main wires that run into the trailer should be fine and long enough.

When I upgraded to my 4 x 6V Interstates, I made all my own wires out of "0" ga wires. I got the wire and connectors from the local auto parts store and crimped the ends on with my big crimpers. You should be successful in finding the parts at your local Napa or similar. The crimper might be available to borrow from them as well. Car stereo shops can help with the wires as well.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:59 AM   #44
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
I hope this will be useful to many of you. I am awaiting the arrival of two Lifeline AGM 6 volt batteries for my 2019 Globetrotter. I am paying $203 each plus shipping. 225 AH each up from the 80 AH of the originals. Lithium is a good option but too much $$$$ for the amount of use so far.
I realize that the batteries need to be run in series not parallel. It seems there are two power connections to the existing positive terminals, (One to each battery) which I would guess is not possible with the new ones.
Is there anything I need to know when connecting the new batteries to avoid electrical problems? Yes shut down everything that draws power. Will the existing terminal wires suffice? And yes they will fit in the compartment......Any suggestions? Again, thank you ALL for inputs
Sorry, I have no specific suggestions, but I would really like to see a pic or two, and a recap when you get them in and running. Hope it’s “uneventful“.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:09 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Nowhere yet , ALL

Name:	IMG_5334.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	374274Attachment 1

Well folks. The 2 new 6 volt Lifeline batteries are in. 225 AH each for 225AH total run in series. Additional capabilities TBD next boondocking session. $482 for 2 batteries plus shipping. $155 net to install. I chose not to attempt it myself. A bit spendy but no warranty as I abused the batteries by letting them discharge too far too many times.
Old batteries had a production date of February 2017. I took delivery of the trailer in June 2018. So more than a year old already.
My concern still is the door on top of the compartment touches the battery terminal when the door is closed. There simply wasn’t enough space (height) for full clearance. The Technician said it has 7 or more layers of tape on top of the terminal. Batteries are in tightly and will not move (rub it down). I asked if there was any alternative way to make it not touch the door but he seemed confident that it’s ok.
Thanks for all the replies and information that you all have sent.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:11 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Nowhere yet , ALL

Name:	IMG_5334.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	369.8 KB
ID:	374275
Old 07-29-2020, 06:01 AM   #47
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Thanks for the pics. Did you have an AS dealer do the install? Did he remove the plastic tray in the bottom of the box, and they still touch the lid? Any idea how much weight you added?
Thanks again,
Jeff

Old 07-29-2020, 07:53 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Nowhere yet , ALL
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Thanks for the pics. Did you have an AS dealer do the install? Did he remove the plastic tray in the bottom of the box, and they still touch the lid? Any idea how much weight you added?
Thanks again,
Jeff

Airstream dealer would not install since I didn’t buy batteries from them. Installer said he had to remove 1/2 an inch of a bolt protrusion to allow door to close. Not sure about plastic tray. Batteries were 10 lbs heavier than previous at 66 lbs each.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:54 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Yeouch ! Tape under the door to insulate terminal ? Another main reason for choosing FullRiver AGM 6v 220AH. Shorter height similar to group 24s.
2020 GMC Sierra Denali Diesel 2500 4X4 10 spd 3.43 Int sway/tow controller
1981 Honda Trail CT110 1X0..no sway control
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:00 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOUSC View Post
As noted earlier, we purchased our GT in 2018. On our final bill of sale, along with installation of the W/D hitch it was noted the dealer installed the battery. Based on this I've always thought this was done at the dealer and this was why some buyer's were having problems with the batteries as the dealers were not keeping them charged before installation or were maybe putting in older batteries.

I could be wrong (and probably am) but I thought I recently read that Airstream changed in the 2020 or 2021 models this practice and was installing the batteries at the factory if you had the solar package option.

In my case, I had to delay picking up our GT for 2-3 weeks in Florida. However, with the factory solar and the Florida sun you have a pretty good chance of the batteries remaining in good condition on a new RV delivered by the factory to the dealership.

For the units with the non-solar package, the batteries would probably die sitting on the lot before sold unless plugged in full time.

I don't know of any reason you would need the coach battery in the RV to tow it. Brakes and exterior driving lights come from the TV (I thought)
Battery while towing use is for the breakaway cable, it uses the battery to power the electric brakes if disaster strikes
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:19 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Nowhere yet , ALL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantair View Post
Yeouch ! Tape under the door to insulate terminal ? Another main reason for choosing FullRiver AGM 6v 220AH. Shorter height similar to group 24s.

Ok great suggestion but what to do now? New batteries now would be impractical.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:34 AM   #52
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Ok great suggestion but what to do now? New batteries now would be impractical.
Hopefully the installer took out the plastic tray that sits beneath the batteries. That would drop them down another 1/2”. Can use styrofoam pieces to stabilize batteries all around to keep them from moving side to side. If it’s already out, you might consider elevating the cover door somehow.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:49 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraclassic View Post
Battery while towing use is for the breakaway cable, it uses the battery to power the electric brakes if disaster strikes
Airstream is now delivering 2021 RV's to dealers without batteries as standard equipment, (unless they have the solar option), see post #38.

Maybe they are using using these items to operate the breakaway switch, see the link below. Or, maybe they deliver on flatbeds now. Or, maybe neither. I don't dispute the fact that you need a battery to operate the breakaway switch. The news release seems to state that RV's are being sent to the dealers without them.

Their news release only said that if the solar package is selected from the factory, travel trailers will ship with 2 AGM batteries. This doesn't necessarily mean the batteries are installed and connected prior to getting to the dealer. I just know our 2018 RV had the solar option and included 2 AGM batteries. The dealer invoice noted that they "installed batteries" so I assumed they did come to the dealer with the batteries already installed.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f43...ml#post2391224
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:37 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
What model were these FullRiver batteries? What was the length? If its 12 inches, it won't fit some AS models
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote