Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

not brake lights or blink only running

Ok we bought a trailer. i hooked it up yesterday and only the running lights work. No blinker no brakes. Is it just bad ground? Or is the wiring messed? I would think if the wiring was wrong it would still work but not correctly (left is right right is left)
Its a 6 wire plug...
dkutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi there. It would be helpful if you updated your profile to show your Airstream year and model (User CP menu at upper left, select Edit Profile). Are you using the "modern" 6 blade + central round ground plug seen on most tow vehicles these days? Did the trailer have a new end plug put on the umbilical? There would be a question whether the wire functions were assigned correctly. If it's an aftermarket end plug instead of OEM the most likely issue could be a loose wire inside the plug.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:25 PM   #3
Desert Fox

1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Red face Lights

Hi,
If you have a small battery charger it is easy to find out if it is the tow vehicle or trailer problem. You schould know which is the ground and then start putting the posisitive lead to rest of the wires. On my trailer the problem was corroted bulb receptical and corroted bulbs. If all your ligths work then the plug on the tow vehicle is wired incorrectly.
Regard from Russell sunny and warm Tucson Az.
RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Identify the ground wire terminal on the trailer plug. Use an ohmeter to ground on the trailer do this. Then, use the ohmeter to determine if there is about 100 ohms between the ground terminal and the other terminals. If any of them are open, you have a wiring, bulb, or corrosion problem. Then check the output on the truck to see that 12 volts appears between the various terminals and the ground as you change the lighting functions. This establishes whether your truck is wired properly and you do not have any fuses blown. Now plug the trailer into the truck and take all the lenses off the trailer on the lights that do not work. Pull the lightbulbs out and ohmmeter check the bulbs and check for the presense of 12 volts at the light bulb contacts. Now you need it either replace the bulbs or check back into the trailer wiring to find the loose connection.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Thumbs up Good Job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi
Identify the ground wire terminal on the trailer plug. Use an ohmeter to ground on the trailer do this. Then, use the ohmeter to determine if there is about 100 ohms between the ground terminal and the other terminals. If any of them are open, you have a wiring, bulb, or corrosion problem. Then check the output on the truck to see that 12 volts appears between the various terminals and the ground as you change the lighting functions. This establishes whether your truck is wired properly and you do not have any fuses blown. Now plug the trailer into the truck and take all the lenses off the trailer on the lights that do not work. Pull the lightbulbs out and ohmmeter check the bulbs and check for the presense of 12 volts at the light bulb contacts. Now you need it either replace the bulbs or check back into the trailer wiring to find the loose connection.
I couldn't have put it any better myself. Continuity is a wonderful thing!!!!!!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:58 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Waskom , Texas
I recently had the same problem appear on my AS. In my case, everything had been working. I finally found a web site mentioning Ford's hidden fuses. On my 1998 F-150, ( in addition to the fuses for towing inside the main fuse box), there are two fuse boxes next to the main fuse box under the hood. One box contains the relays and the other contains fuses for the towing lights. Neither of these are called out in the owners manual.

In my case, all lights worked good on my truck, but only the running lights worked on the trailer. I verified that I did not have power at the receiptacle on the truck with a test light. After locating the additional fuses, I found and replaced a blown fuse.
Calvin
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:01 AM   #7

1980 31' Excella II
Mesa , Arizona
Does anyone actuall know what the color codes are to the trailer? Or, what color is typically the ground on say a 1980 Excella?
markedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:58 AM   #8

1973 23' Safari
Hennessey , Oklahoma
Wiring diagrams can be found on airstream.com/products/customer service/maintenance books scroll to the bottom of the page and they are listed under "other useful information".
gmroder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:04 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Manuals Help

I ordered a service manual for my AS. It has been the most useful tool of all. Especially on the electric aspect. I highly recomend getting one.

There are enough didfferences between various models that (and not everything exactly follows the manual!) having a manual has guided me through restoring all of my running lights (except the two I have left--shorted).
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote