Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2017, 09:25 PM   #1

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Need to run small gauge wire from Batteries to inside trailer

I am trying to install a battery monitor into my 2016 Rear Bedroom FC and am not sure how to run the wires from the Battery to inside the trailer. They are small 16 gauge wires for a Merlin Smartgauge Battery monitor. I see where the wires go in under the trailer but can't tell for sure where they come in. Attached are two pictures of what I see inside.

Looks like they come in under the little box in the cubbyhole. What is the best way to run the wires in, drill a hole in the silicon plug, push them in from the outside and then reach with what? to try and catch the wires?

Tried searching but no luck.

Thank you,

Matti
Attached Images

Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:28 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
I'm not trying to be a wiseguy, but if you are having a problem figuring this out, you need to get someone to help you.

Bruce
PD9160 converter, Prosine 1800 inverter
2x Victron 100/30 Smart Solar, Victron Smart Shunt
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:09 PM   #3
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
We installed a battery monitor system that used small wires (phone cord) to connect the precision shunt the digital readout. In our installation the shunt needed to be near the batteries (at the tongue of your trailer presumably) so the closest place to put the digital readout would be near the front of the rig near the couch (?). That shouldn't be too difficult. I just left the digital readout near the couch in our trailer. You could install it in an overhead cabinet if you like. Do you really need it to be in the center of the trailer near the other electrical devices? If so, get some professional assistance if needed from your local RV dealer.

A friend wanted to avoid all the problems of wiring etc. and used the following and he monitors his batteries via a smart phone app.

https://teambmpro.com/au/products/battery-check.html
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:48 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Middleton , Idaho
When I installed a battery monitor (Trimetric) in our 2013 25FC rear bedroom, I shoved the wired through the factory calking, where the main battery cables enter the trailer under the front street side quarter. I think I used a blunt screwdriver, or something similar, to make a small hole without damaging the existing wiring.

For the project I also removed the couch on the street side to provide better access to work since I was upgrading and relocating a dealer installed solar controller at the same time.

It took a little time to figure out, but wasn't that difficult. I put the shunt in the battery box.
Trailbob is offline   Reply With Quote