Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2017, 10:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Okanagan , BC
need help!! microwave .... can we do it????

we are looking at a 2011 25FB that does not have a microwave and we would like to have one to use...

our options are 1. to install a convection microwave in the place of the standard gas oven that is there now... AS has stated that the entire galley would need to be replaced to accomodate this change and the cost is upwards of $10,000 (!)

2. OR we install a small microwave somewhere else (thinking cabinet above fridge?) however the question is whether we need a separate breaker to support the microwave?

has anyone used / put in a microwave ... need help and no one seems to know the answer to date ...
jjAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 10:33 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I would put it above the fridge. That is where the factory put mine. Do you already have an outlet there? If not, I would think you could run it on the same circuit the fridge is on.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I have a tiny portable 12/120 volt microwave that’s maybe 500 Watts. It stores in the bottom of our wardrobe with a bungee cord to keep it from jumping around. Takes patience to use, but it can warm stuff just fine. Otherwise it’s the stovetop or oven on propane.

No clue what the brand is, son found it in a camping store in Washington state, I think.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I have a 2013 25FB. The cabinet above the fridge is not deep enough for a microwave.

$10,000 for replacing the oven is ridiculous. It can be done for less if you don't mind some cosmetic changes like seams on the countertop and cabinet. Though it would still be expensive.

What we and some others do it's carry along a small countertop model. We travel with it on the floor
When we camp we lay a board on the cushion under the TV and put the microwave there.

Some people even build a permanent cabinet under the TV.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Me too. I carry a 900 watt countertop microwave on the floor under my front dinette. In use, it sits on the cabinet on top of the fridge and plugs into an existing circuit. $40 at Walmart, and it's lasted 8 years so far.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:36 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
I have a 2012 25'FB Eddie Bauer. I am the second owner but the first owner had the dealer replace the propane oven with a microwave before it was taken off the lot when new. No problems. I removed it once to access behind it and it looks simple to install. I have been looking at replacing it with a convection microwave costing less than $300 and can't see why changing from propane oven would be more than a few hundred in labor plus the cost of the oven. I would be curious to find out what has to be changed to justify any higher cost.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
My example is not totally consistent with the OP's dilemma, but it does incorporate an example of how to modify Airstream's OEM cabinetry to accept a microwave.

We actually had a microwave installed originally, but we ditched our Airstream-installed propane refrigerator (Dometic RM-2351, which is the same model that has been giving new Base Camp owners mega-fits) with a larger, all-electric model. The larger fridge model required us to bump up the location of the microwave space, because we absolutely had to keep the microwave and it would no longer fit in the cabinetry that had been modified to accept the fridge. Changing up that cabinetry was a roaring pain in the butt, and it took many hours to engineer a professional-looking result (but certainly not $10,000 worth of pain in the butt). You can see our example here if you are interested.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #8

Currently Looking...
New Braunfels , Texas
I added a microwave to my 1966 Texan canned-ham camper and it plugs in just like any other appliance. It doesn't draw any more power than a toaster or a coffee maker as far as I know. Don't think you need a separate breaker.
Kcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:32 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Countertop microwave

We have a 20' model, and it came without a microwave. The 20' model has a bare shelf over the refrigerator, where the TV is mounted and pulls out. I added a maple top to that shelf, and a vertical side piece to the left - for the TV. Both maple pieces are attached at the back, where the TV wiring comes out, and to each other. I did this so I can permanently mount the counter top microwave to the maple and didn't need to drill any holes in the counter top. The next owner who might not like this setup can just remove all the maple and not have holes in the counter top.

This means that we can use the counter top microwave without setting it up each time, storing it on the floor or in a closet - because it's screwed down. (This also gives us space behind the microwave to store boxes of garbage can liners, bags, etc.)

The side piece is where the TV is now mounted. We have to pull out the TV to use it, but that isn't as bad as having to constantly move the microwave around. I also have a strap with a parachute buckle around the microwave so the glass tray doesn't bounce around and open the microwave door. I wrap that glass tray in a towel for travel.

And, we store the toaster oven in the gas oven since I seldom use the gas oven. We just run the chord out of the oven to the plug and make our toast in the toaster oven in the oven. That mostly eliminates the smoke detector going off from making 'dark' toast!
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:44 AM   #10
Iron tepee #35

1993 34' Excella
andalusia , Illinois
You don't need a separate circuit. But (there's always a but) you will not be able to use the microwave and any other high amp draw appliance on the same circuit at the same time.
mikeoxlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 01:53 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Lights dim

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoxlong View Post
You don't need a separate circuit. But (there's always a but) you will not be able to use the microwave and any other high amp draw appliance on the same circuit at the same time.
We have used the microwave and toaster oven at the same time on the same circuit (making bacon and toast), but the lights dim when we do, so I try to avoid it.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio

I am will to bet that if you took out the range/oven you will find a 110 volt plug behind the oven. It’s there from the factory. In case it would have been built with the range/ micro option. They use the same wiring harness and cannot just leave bare wires exposed.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio

Maybe build a hanging shelf from the top cabinet to put a micro on.

Or put it in the overhead cabinet.

One person built a cabinet on the sofa next the the fridge. They shortened the sofa cushions and cover it in the same veneer.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:07 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Okanagan , BC
this was the reply from Airstream when we inquired...
“In 2011 the convection microwave was a Sharp microwave that isn’t available any longer. It was a different size than what’s being used today. The whole cabinet assembly was different so to make the new one work, you would need to replace the entire galley cabinet.”
Old 10-28-2017, 08:09 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Okanagan , BC
and then this was the subsequent price breakdown for switching out oven to microwave from the dealership...

all the parts needed for an exchange to the new convection microwave.

Cooktop – 690631-02-UPS $424.95
Microwave – 690657-08 $1052.95
Trim kit – 690657-06 $166.95
Kitchen Top – 602353-01 $3587.95
Galley Cabinet w/Micro – $2585.95
Galley Cabinet, aft sec - $2597.95

Parts Total - $10416.70 + GST & Freight.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
I had though about this myself in my past trailer. A 25fb.

What I figured is I could get a range of the same brand. So the cut out is the same as the opening. Then I could get some plywood and put a fill piece in below the range. I would laminate new Formica to match. And perhaps some support for the rear of the microwave.

The outlet is already in the wall. You can recover some cost by selling the oven combo.

But, in the end it became not that important to change out. We just plan a little ahead, and take out what needs defrosting. That would be are biggest use of a microwave.

After all it is camping, so a little inconvenience is ok.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:42 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I'm sure you can find a place to use a small stand-alone microwave in your 25'... Our 19' Bambi is short on interior space to place a microwave, even a small one, so we carry ours in the truck and set it up outside one on those personal tables (which, by the way are handy for a number of uses) ... We made a vinyl "cozy" to cover to protect it from the weather when it's not in use.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I put a microwave on a slide out in the closet. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ml#post2078082
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote