Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2004, 04:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

light globe/light covers

I need all light covers and a globe for the kitchen for a 196l
26' Overlander. The bath and bed room are a 18" U shaped Plastic covers and in the Kitchen a 12" U shaped that goes over the sink. The overhead is a 10" round with a center bolt to hold it up. I have tried Inland and they have nothing listed for this. Does anyone know where I can get the above or any susgestions of how to make the same. I've tried also the fan and light shops in this area.... Thanks....Dave....
Old 01-17-2004, 06:27 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Another '61 Overlander, cool!! I've got the original fixtures in mine, but like you I need the bathroom and bed light covers. I've bought some acrylic sheet plastic and am trying to bend it with heat. So far I've broken two attempts, too impatient to wait for it to heat up I guess. Mike
wildcat455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 10:28 PM   #3
Vintage RV

1959 24' Tradewind
Atascadero , California
Send a message via Yahoo to plowboy
light covers

Dave,
Have you had any luck finding light covers? I need one for the reading light above the bed in my '59 Tradewind. I was going to check out some of the RV salvage yards.
Paul
plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 05:59 AM   #4
nds
3 Rivet Member

Re: light globe/light covers

Quote:
Originally posted by David Hall
I have tried Inland and they have nothing listed for this. Does anyone know where I can get the above or any susgestions of how to make the same.
Send Andy at Inland RV a PM and ask if they don't carry them. I don't think he lists everything that he has on his parts list. If he doesn't have them, he may know where you can get them.
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 06:02 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

globe /light covers

No Plowboy I didn't find globe or covers any where, at home depot I found a flat type globe for the Kitchen and had to make the others, I went to HD and got a clear carpet runner with designs on it and a 3/4" Alum strip and some velcro to hold the back up after it was rolled around light, the alum strip was a frame to hold the front across the top. Looks very good, if you saw them and I hadn't let you know, you would never have noticed the difference from glass. Covered three lights for less than 10$ Hope it works for you.....Dave....
Old 02-18-2004, 06:35 AM   #6
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Suggestion

When heating acrylic and or plexiglass,
heat oven to around 250, then set the acrylic in oven.

Pay attention to it!

The sheet will heat up over the whole piece and it will shape quite easily.

You may choose to support the sheet on the corners, if you allow the sheet to sit on the rack, it may scar the finish from contact.

if you pay close attention, you will see the sheet begin to sag ever so slightly.

Wear gloves and have a wet rag close by to set the shape once you have the desired shape.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote