Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2020, 03:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Saint Helena Island , South Carolina
I know,I know another Battery question.

I know this forum is overloaded with battery questions but I hope our situation is fairly simple. We've got the original Interstate batteries which have served us well. We don't have any solar panels,don't boondock,and have a Champion generator if needed. We stay at places with full hookup and plug in at home where we keep it. I've read a lot of different choices but I'm thinking that a couple options out weigh the others. Thanks in advance and travel safely.
rollieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:02 PM   #2
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
In your case and type of usage, good old interstates or other deep cycle batteries from Costco is all you need. Anything more is a waste of money if you don't boondock/almost always have hookups. Just take care of them (check water, keep them charged, don't run them down below 12.1 volts or so too often...and they'll last a few years.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:10 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
How long are you planning to use this AS?

Our two Lifeline AGM batteries tasted 11 Seasons, and now provide B/U for the basement sump pump.
No adding distilled water, no off gassing, no converter upgrades needed.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54F15C82-FE65-4371-A819-D1724C2CF999_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	376243  
Old 08-18-2020, 04:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
The stock converter is matched to wet cells so that is a factor. Five years is not a bad battery run, but maybe there is more life in them, have you checked the batteries with a load test or hydrometer? Have you equalized charged them ever? Perhaps now is a good time to start.

If you have been and don't mind continuing to check water level regularly and added distilled water when needed and you are careful not to let them discharge below 12.1 volts, stay with wet cells. If it is worth $200 more to you to not have to check water level, AGMs are a choice.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:24 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
My thoughts were to switch over to AGM batteries. Love the unit and don't plan to get rid of it anytime soon.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:56 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
My other question was if it would be wise to change the converter if I switched to AGM's.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
I'm not sure I'd go as far as calling it wise. The basic charge modes are similar. The differences are in the maintenance modes.

Then given the description of how you intend to camp, I'd say no. You won't need your batteries to give everything they can. If you decide to go with AGMs it would mostly be for the extra life and ease of use.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:13 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
AGM Batteries!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
How long are you planning to use this AS?

Our two Lifeline AGM batteries tasted 11 Seasons, and now provide B/U for the basement sump pump.
No adding distilled water, no off gassing, no converter upgrades needed.

Bob
🇺🇸
Wow that is amazing! Our two Lifeline AGM batteries that came in our 2019 Flying Cloud lasted less than a year. The manual is woefully lacking in battery maintenance especially AGM. I've had batteries in things for 60 years and have not dealt with the finicky AGM. I guess what we didn't know was that the Airstream has an amount of low amps even when in "storeage" mode. The batteries need to be fully charged and disconnected when storing or the battery will be killed if left to be discharged for a time. The batteries become sulfated. I'm thinking of conventional batteries instead of $600 of AGMs next time. Lessons learned
Skyhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:29 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Whatever *true* deep cycle battery is on sale this week / next week at Costco pretty much tops the list in this case. They will have the same capacity / expected life as what you have. They will match up with the setup in the trailer.

Indeed you *might* only get 4 years instead of 5. On a "dollars per year" basis that's still very much a winner. Another upside is that if something goes nutty wrong with this or that and the batteries get fried ... less money down the drain.

AGM's will cost noticeably more and (if the others were doing fine) deliver you no real benefit. Lithiums are also wonderful, but again, if what was there worked ok .... not needed in this case.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Frankly with the way you say you use your trailer you could be better off just getting 1 battery. The second only helps by adding capacity for boondocking and quite often when 1 battery dies it kills the second.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollieboy View Post
I know this forum is overloaded with battery questions but I hope our situation is fairly simple. We've got the original Interstate batteries which have served us well. We don't have any solar panels,don't boondock,and have a Champion generator if needed. We stay at places with full hookup and plug in at home where we keep it. I've read a lot of different choices but I'm thinking that a couple options out weigh the others. Thanks in advance and travel safely.
We are pretty much the same, maybe an overnight at Cracker Barrel, Walmart or Cabelas. I got new Lifelines in 2014 and we have a solar panel that keeps them charged up when in storage (provided the building doesn't cast a huge shadow in winter ). I expected them to hold a 12.7 charge but they seem to drop quickly. I have the originals in my garage on a charger in maintenance mode. They drop to 12.4 overnight with no load and I think that's what the newer ones drop to also.

I have had very good luck with Deka deep cycle, which makes Duracell deep cycle batteries sold at Batteries + Bulbs. I use them in my bass boat which is kept in my garage. I put a timer on the charger for a half hour in the morning and evening. I also added independent voltmeters so I can monitor them. I check water levels quarterly. In another year or so I'll replace the Lifelines with Deka deep cycle and pocket the difference.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 02:02 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
A lot of people seem to lean toward Costco for their batteries. Any particular ones I should zero in on?
Old 08-19-2020, 02:20 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
In your case and type of usage, good old interstates or other deep cycle batteries from Costco is all you need. Anything more is a waste of money if you don't boondock/almost always have hookups. Just take care of them (check water, keep them charged, don't run them down below 12.1 volts or so too often...and they'll last a few years.

This.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhook View Post
Wow that is amazing! Our two Lifeline AGM batteries that came in our 2019 Flying Cloud lasted less than a year. The manual is woefully lacking in battery maintenance especially AGM. I've had batteries in things for 60 years and have not dealt with the finicky AGM. I guess what we didn't know was that the Airstream has an amount of low amps even when in "storeage" mode. The batteries need to be fully charged and disconnected when storing or the battery will be killed if left to be discharged for a time. The batteries become sulfated. I'm thinking of conventional batteries instead of $600 of AGMs next time. Lessons learned
Skyhook, I hope you contacted Lifeline about the warranty for your dead batteries. They will stand behind them even if they were abused unknowingly. You’ll find their technical manual for the batteries here.

The “finicky” part is they shouldn’t be discharged over 50%. That’s true for flooded acid batteries as well. Airstream should install a device like the Victron BVM-712 in all units to let the owner know where they’re at rather than just a useless voltage readout. Knowledge is power. Some will draw down their batteries below 50% knowing they’re shortening the life and accept that.

We had a set of Interstate lead acid batteries in our first Airstream. Two sets if you could the replacements because they got abused before we took delivery. I do not miss having to keep a bottle of distilled water onboard and check them regularly. Our Lifeline AGM’s are zero maintenance.

Another way to lengthen the life of lead acid/AGM batteries is to use a PulseTech battery charger that desulfates batteries. This one will manage two 12V batteries in parallel at the same time. I use one during off-season storage to keep them in good shape. You could call it “battery maintenance” I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1CAE9274-03A7-4206-9132-EA17F7B361F2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	376355  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:13 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Dallas , Texas
Duracell AGMs

I bought two Duracell deep cycle AGM batteries at Batteries + Bulbs for $480 in October when ours old non-AGMs died on the start of a road trip. 10% off when you buy online and pickup in a store. Love the no-maintenance.

Use them in my street legal golf cart, too, and those have performed way better than the old lead-acid painfulness.
Beewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 06:03 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Beewee,
Mind asking if you had to make any other changes or just swapped out the batteries. I'm a very handy guy but electrical has never been my forte.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:54 AM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
A lot of people seem to lean toward Costco for their batteries. Any particular ones I should zero in on?
Hi

It's not the brand in this case it's the price. They rotate what's on sale month to month. They also *seem* to put some things on sale in one region, but not in the whole country. The "recommendation" is simply to get a cheap generic deep cycle RV battery. You are buying "generic" not a brand name.

The gotcha is that "ok, here's the list for today". That's great, but it's entirely the wrong list by next week. It also *may* be a fine list for Pennsylvania, but completely useless in Arizona.

The one thing you want to avoid are batteries that are not rated for deep cycle use. They may say RV on them, but you also need "deep cycle" in the ratings. Without that, they likely will not stand up to the sort of use we put them to.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:02 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Dallas , Texas
AGMs

Quote:
Beewee,
Mind asking if you had to make any other changes or just swapped out the batteries. I'm a very handy guy but electrical has never been my forte.
We simply replaced them. No mods to AS.
Beewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:59 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Here's a link to a site that lists battery manufacturers, brands and contacts. It looks like Interstate makes the Costco Kirkland batteries. Interstate makes a lot of different brands of batteries, like most of the others. Private branding, where a company will take a trademarked name like Kirkland, Die Hard, etc., is common. These brands can be made by different companies under different contracts in different locations, primarily to reduce shipping costs.

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I went with two GC-2 6 volt golf cart batteries in series from Sam’s Club. They just fit in my aftermarket battery box.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote