Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2022, 12:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2023 Rangeline
Portland , Oregon
GFCI outlets only working on shore power/generator

Hey everybody, any advice would be appreciated!

My Interstate 24X has an issue where the GFCI outlets are *only* working when either shore power is attached or when the generator is running. Running off of the batteries, with the inverter powered on and seemingly functioning properly (no error codes), the GFCI outlets receive no power. The one NON-GFCI outlet that I know of (microwave) is working OK on battery power, with inverter on.

I've flipped all of the breakers off/on, I've checked all fuses, and I've tested/reset and turned the GFCI back on (on both the breaker panel and the central GFCI outlet).

I've searched the forum a good bit, and I did see someone else with the same issue, but no replies or solution.

Any wiz's out there, please let me know, I'd love to avoid the dealership service bay!

Thank you!!
zeekwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:06 PM   #2
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Are all the outlets in your rig designed to work from the inverter or just some? If it's just some, are the GFCI outlets part of that some?
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:10 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Noblesville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekwad View Post

My Interstate 24X has an issue where the GFCI outlets are *only* working when either shore power is attached or when the generator is running. Running off of the batteries, with the inverter powered on and seemingly functioning properly (no error codes), the GFCI outlets receive no power. The one NON-GFCI outlet that I know of (microwave) is working OK on battery power, with inverter on.

I've flipped all of the breakers off/on, I've checked all fuses, and I've tested/reset and turned the GFCI back on (on both the breaker panel and the central GFCI outlet).

I've searched the forum a good bit, and I did see someone else with the same issue, but no replies or solution.

Any wiz's out there, please let me know, I'd love to avoid the dealership service bay!

Thank you!!
GFI outlets are not connected to your inverter.
vanderwielen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:47 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2023 Rangeline
Portland , Oregon
Ah, well gosh that makes sense! Ha, I got twisted around on this because my last rig had 100% inverter outlets. 😃 Thank you
zeekwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 10:31 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Niagara Falls , Ontario
Quote:

Thank you!!

4 things to check:
is the system designed to let the breakers work while on battery power
do the breakers actually work properly
are they the correct type of breaker
are they connected to the trailer ground system and the wiring properly
hairyclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 02:01 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Oriental , North Carolina
On my 26U the inverter outlets are labeled as such. They are near the TV sets and the table between the twin beds, and maybe the dinette. But, the GFCI outlets are not on the inverter circuit. I was like you at first, wondering why they don't work. Then I learned they aren't supposed to work on my trailer.
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 05:41 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Niagara Falls , Ontario
Quote:

Thank you!!
found a book about this topic at local library today
RV Electrical Systems*
Bill and Jan Moeller

might be worth*tracking down a copy or a digital copy of you do lots of RV repairs
hairyclive is offline   Reply With Quote