Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Moorestown , New Jersey
Fc 20 2009 elecrical shore power

New AS owner. I am trying to hook up my shore power cord. I have a couple of questions.

1: can I plug the shore side into a 20 amp kitchen outlet and run and recharge?

2: I have a 30 amp dryer circuit that in do not use due to conversion to natural gas. Can I adapt this
for shore power ?

I am in the northeast and trying to make sure all systems work and I understand how they work.

Thanks
Chuck
BambiFC20LBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
DO NOT USE A DRYER CIRCUIT!!!!!!!

Most household dryer circuits are a 30 amp 240 volt AC. You Airstream needs a 120 volt 30 amp AC circuit with one hot lead, one neutral lead and one ground wire.

A dryer circuit will toast every AC appliance in your trailer! Be very careful if you are not fully informed about what type of electrical circuits are needed for your trailer.

And beware of your run of the mill electrician. There are many tales of woe on these Forums about folks that paid their electrician to install a new 30 amp circuit for their trailers and got a 240 volt circuit instead of a 120 volt circuit. A competent electrician that understands your needs can probably make it work for you with the addition of a neutral to the circuit at the breaker box instead of 2 hot legs.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Moorestown , New Jersey
Thanks for the quick response. So I need 120 vac at 30 amps?

Would I still be able to recharge the house batteries with the AS hookup connected to a 20 amp circuit?

Thank
Chuck
BambiFC20LBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiFC20LBI View Post
Thanks for the quick response. So I need 120 vac at 30 amps? Would I still be able to recharge the house batteries with the AS hookup connected to a 20 amp circuit? Thank Chuck
Yes and yes. You will be able to run everything except your airconditioner. You will have to have the proper pigtail adapter to go from your Airstream power cord to the house 120 inlet. Be careful not to leave it plugged in indefinitely because you may harm your batteries by doing so. Jim
Old 12-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
If you have an adapter plug pigtail that will convert the 30amp 120 Vac power port plug on the side or back of the trailer to a 15 amp 120Vac plug, then you just run a #12 wire extension cord into the house and plug her in. The battery will charge. Here are links to example pigtails:

FP3015-SY

FP3015-SS

I acquired all my electrical power cords from this outfit.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote