Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2006, 08:49 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

victoria , british columbia
electrical problem

i dont think the 22ccd has one i have the wireing schematic and it doesn't show one, it looks like this problem is not solvable with the info we have , i did contact airstream they blamed the vehicle , lexus blamed the trailer , so whats new, thanks for your help, but i do hope i can get this fixed.

david
dsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 08:52 PM   #22
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
The relay would be in the tow vehicle.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 08:19 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

electrical problem

thanks i will check with the dealer on monday,

david
Old 03-05-2006, 08:27 AM   #24
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
The issue is in the vehicle not the Airstream. It could be a relay, non functioning or the incorrect one. It could be a bad ground. Was the TV set up for 7 pin towing orginally or was it added on. If that is the case the wiring could be suspect. Many vehicles that are "supposedly" set up for towing only come with the flat four connector. That means somebody had to add the extra 3 lines, for brakes, reverse lights, and the 12volt charge line. I know for a fact that the trailer line should be a live feed from the trailer because we use it to turn on the running lights on the trailer when it is parked so people can find us. Also just for fun you can install a heavy duty flasher in the 7 pin female plug and get all of the trailer running lights to flash...PARTY TIME!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:07 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
David----I agree with Aarons thoughts concerning where and when was the Tow vehicle wired for a trailer, factory or dealer and was it originally a 7 pin connector or converted from a flat 4 pin??? After reading the symptoms I would also be suspious of a poor or lack of ground. There should be a ground wire between the tv and tt. The trailer ball should not be the ground path between the two. A quick check of this can be done by--unhook the trailer hitch but connect the wireing plug connector. With the TV running and running lights turned on, place a 12volt test light or better yet a volt meter between the the frame of the trailer and the trailer ball on the TV. There should be no voltage reading on the meter or no light burning if using a test lamp. Another thing that could be done is hook you trailer to a known good tow vehicle electrical system Do you have a friend that tows that would let you plug your trailer into and see if it effects theirs?--Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

electrical problem

all great advice guys which i shall attempt soon i hope, its raining here.

yes it was a factory installed 7 pin setup it is a lexus lx 470 same as a landcruiser year 2004, ive heard toyota can be funny in these things sometimes.

again thanks

david
Old 03-05-2006, 06:00 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

electrical problem

well guys i managed to check the ground issue and all is well there, also when this malfunction happens my remote door opener will not work, go figure.

thanks

david
Old 03-05-2006, 06:56 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hi All,

I agree with the thought to get it on with Lexus. I just spent 2 hours tracing down a non-operating +12VDC wire at the trailer plug on a new Allegro Bus MoHo after installing a Prodigy. The manufacturer said to call the chasis people, they said it was a build problem.........I am in the middle!!!

Anyway, it turned out to be a bad relay on the MoHo........build problem!

I would suspect that the Lexus has some issues with that connection also. I would get the dealer to verify that all of the wiring and associated components are operating to spec. and also find out exactly where they pulled the +12VDC from. This mighth help a lot in solving the situation .

It might help to do a continuity test of that wire and also verify that it is not shorting to ground ocassionally at some point along it's run. (bare un-insulation wire rubbing the frame every so-often, etc.)
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote