Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2003, 01:09 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Can I Trickle Charge into the 12V Wall Jack?

I just purchased a 10W Siemens solar trickle charger.
I intend to keep it on the inside of one of the south-facing windows and have it charge the battery during the week while I'm away.
For ease of use, would it be ok to add a 12v accessory plug to the end of the solar panel and plug it into the wall outlet to charge the battery that way? (btw it has a charge controller with diode).
I'm wondering whether the univolt unit would interfere with charging through this method.
Any comments?

Thanks

Westeagle
westeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 07:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
10 Watt

I'm wondering if you are concerned about the battery running down in a week what is the drain on the battery ? A 10 watt charger is a trickel charger and would only provide enough power to keep a battery up with no draw.
As far as the univolt if you don't have power to the A/S then it should not be a problem pluging into the 12 accessory plug for a trickel charge.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 03:42 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

A couple of thoughts on your question. First, yes the jack is a direct connection to the battery and will connect up fine to your solar system. Make sure your system has a charge controller or that you are not overcharging the batteries when they are full. Even a small solar pannel will produce about an Amp or so so you can boil the battery dry if you just keep it going without control. I picked up one potential problem in your configuration. That is using a solar panel through window glass which will block much of the energy the panel could convert to current. Try this experiment and see for yourself. Use a amp dc Ammeter, anything that will measure up to 3 Amps. Connect Ammeter directly to the solar panel connections without battery in circuit. Place your panel outside into the sun without any window glass being in the way. Then do the same thing through window glass.
The direct connection allows you to measure the full output of the panel. (Caution no battery) Note the difference. Now you see why the solar panels are built using special non absorbing glass. This is why they should be mounted outside. Remember the simple formula In honor of Mssrs: Watt, Ampere , and Volt. Amps(?) times Volts( APROX 13.5V) = Watts
RonJudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 06:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I run the connections from my 5 watt Pulse Tech Solargizer panel through the top of one of the battery doors on the front of the trailer and then place the panel on top of the trailer where it is harder to see by anyone walking by. If you are concerned with someone walking off with it, what about running the cable down through your refrigerator vent and connect to a 12 volt source there (if you have a 3 way fridge system). RonJudi is correct in that the glass of your trailer will lower output on the panel but it might be just enough to keep you charged.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 11:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Solar Topping

A few issues to look at.
1.) never put a chargeing device on a battery for the long term without some way of controlling the output. You will boil your battery dry.
2.) the diode is most likely just for reverse current protection of the cell.
3.) you need to make sure of the wiring of the socket you intend to use. Make sure it is good all the way to the battery.
4.) yes the cell output will derate if it is powered inside of glass.
5.) the univolt will proably not be hurt by your cell.

I would like to add that a battery will lose about 1.5% of its charge per month. This is, if it is in good shape. ie: clean posts, top and sides, and the wiring is not shorted.
I don't know why you want to use this charger but if it is for topping your trailer should sit for months with the battery staying at a good charge level.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
not being a trailer guy, this might not work...but why not disconnect the battery when it sits for a long time? It would have a better chance to stay up, and you could then charge it to full capacity only if needed.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v