Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2006, 09:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Adding a 12VDC outlet outside??

I'd like to add a 12-volt DC outlet on the road side of our trailer. The reason for this is that we have 12-volt air compressor with an 11-foot chord and cannot find a way to reach any of the three 12-volt outlets inside the trailer: under the dinette, on the fridge wall with the TV fixture, and in the bedroom also with the TV fixture.

The 11-foot chord allows us to use the outlet under the dinette to reach the sidewalk side thru the door, but reaching the other side would require passing the chord thru the screen window. That's not easy to do because the 4 wire clip that hold the screen in place are very stiff and require removal from the outside, far to difficult and problematic.

So, it would appear that the best solution would be to put a 12-volt outlet in the space behind the fridge which has a louvered outside door right above the wheels. Now, how to wire this into the circuitry of the Airstream. I'm electrically-challenged but with a little guidance could probably figure out how to do this.

Any ideas, diagrams, alternatives? Thanks in advance.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
No Problem!

MIke,
You have the problem 90% solved already by the description in your post. Your refrigerator is fed by a 12 VDC power connection. You can tap into those 2 wires to get the power for your 12VDC outlet.

The benefit is that you don't have to cut the skin of the A/S....just mount it INSIDE the refer door! It will also be out of the way. Be sure to get a weatherproof outlet. www.powerlet.com has lots of those mainly used for motorcycles but will work perfectly for your application. Your local auto parts store might have one also.

At the bottom of the fridge, you will find a white plastic terminal block with 2 wires coming in and 2 going into the refer control board. The 2 input wires should be red and white, with red + and white -. Just loosen the retaining screws and add your new wires for your new outlet and re-tighten.

I would suggest that you pull the fuse for the refer BEFORE doing this to avoid any shorting of the + lead, which would blow the fuse anyway.

Good luck!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Lew,

Terrific help. I'll look more closely at the wires behind the louvered door.

Also, found the link to the Korean site amusing. Don't know what I'll do there though.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:56 AM   #4
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
I had the same trouble with my compressor, than I got a cordless compressor/jumper/12V power supply, cost $44.00
at Sam's Club.
I have had it for 18 months and use it all the time

I really like Lew's idea, and might just add it because.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Lew, the correct link is: http://www.powerletproducts.com/

Good idea on the fridge 12V. I was wondering where a good place would be to mount and accessory plug on the outside, and you suggestion is nothing short of genius! It made me fell so dumb for not thinking of it first! :
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:27 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Why not get a 12 volt extension cord like this:
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...d/skunum=26775
We have one that we use with our Endless Breeze 12 volt fan.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:42 PM   #7
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
2 input wires should be red and white, with red + and white -. Just loosen the retaining screws and add your new wires for your new outlet and re-tighten.
or pink and white!

the end result is the same, colored wire is + white wire is -

john

Tags
12v