Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2015, 07:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Havertown , Pennsylvania
A/C --domestic, on for 2 hrs & started leaking from Dometic unit

Hi All --newby here /--down in TX state park near Beaumont --put A/C on for 1st time & after cooling down well from 90 degrees for 2 Hrs, the unit started dripping ???--(what?)
Had a good shazam towel to mop up --anybody knows what gives?--pulled both filters out & cleaned them.
schafman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Havertown , Pennsylvania
A/C-- problem in Beaumont , TX

Forgot to give model--2012 FC 23 FB
Thanks in advance !!
Old 04-23-2015, 07:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Its dripping condensate, water that comes from cooling the humid air. Is it dripping in the inside or outside? Usually if there is a condensate pan on the inside, it should have some sort of tubing that goes through the walls to drain it outside. Could be the drains are clogged and it builds up and drips down inside.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Is there any water dripping on the ground at the street side wheel well? This is where the condensation from the AC should be draining. You can look up in the wheel well and see the drain tube hanging down. If there is no water draining outside the condensation line is probably blocked.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:46 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Havertown , Pennsylvania
A/C drip ( inside) on Flying Cloud

Thanks all;-- yes, dripping enough to cause some cleaning up. I did find the condensate tube on "outer" curb side. & was able to insert a tire only about 8" up & it seemed ok. I will restart A/C again & see if the condensate comes out that tube.
--do not have ladder " sufficient" enough to get on top , so will see a dealer soon if it continues.--thanks
Old 04-24-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I take it that you mean dripping INSIDE the trailer, not the normal dripping of condensate from the hose in the wheel well.

Our trailer started doing this also for the first time since we have owned it - 7 years - this winter when we were in Florida.

I removed the inside cover completely and could see the plastic drip tray that connects the condensate and also the point where the run off hose connects to a short stub tube that it part of the tray.

What had happened was that the tray had several cracks at the point where the hose connection is made - that was the source of the dripping.

I cleaned up the area (plastic was quite brittle and a couple small pieced actually missing.

It looked like a fair job to replace the tray (assuming I could buy a new one) and certainly was not a chore I felt like undertaking while we were using the trailer

I removed the hose, cleaned up the whole end of the tray where it was leaking and 'gooped it up" with several layers of a very good sealant I had. It is a clear sealant that dries flexible but more firm than some. (Called "Storm King" and bought here in Canada some years ago. I don't think you can het it now but Im sure others are just as good.)

Anyway it did the job for the rest of our 7 week trip and I am hopeful it will be a permanent fix!

This was the entire problem , there was no blockage in the discharge hose.

I think the problem was caused by vibration of the unit at the point where the hose connects to the tray.

Our trailer is a 2005. we bought it used.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I've had similar cracking of the pan as Brian describes above. I know a pan replacement (cup kit is better) is in my future, but between fiberglass cloth repairs and sealer, I am dry for now.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:16 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Or could it be?

Just thought I would roll out my standard response to dripping in the interior after a couple hours of cooling in high humidity....

turn the unit off for 30 minutes, restart and see if it does two things.... stops dripping and cools better.

We ran into this during camping in high humidity. Stuff freezes up and it puts a dent in the cooling and instead of condensate going down the condensate tube it builds up in the unit and drips in the interior.

might not be the problem, but Beaumont is a pretty humid part of Texas, so might be worth a try before going to more elaborate lengths

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:44 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
Columbia , South Carolina
Same problem fixed

As you have indicated the tray where it connects to the drain tube is designed poorly and cracks over time. The solution is not to replace the tray but to purchase the new cup system they have designed as a fix and either install it yourself(requires removal of the unit) or have someone do it for you.

Had mine done at the mothership. They do not use the drip pan system anymore.

Bruce
Brucethept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Mine dripped from where the tube exited the drip pan. Sealant cured my problem. I did insure the drain line was clear all the way from the outside to the AC unit. I used a bit of plastic tubing connected to the outside tube and blew it it to verify it wasn't blocked then blew low pressure air into it and then used my shop vac to suck air through it. No issues since 2013 but I haven't used my AC yet this year. I notice when the AC is on and its humid there is a small trickle but as soon as the AC and fan shuts off there is a heavy stream. The action of the fan seem to cause the flow to be less than when off. This behavior has been reported by many. But it hasn't overflowed into the interior since sealing the drain tube.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by schafman46 View Post
Hi All --newby here /--down in TX state park near Beaumont --put A/C on for 1st time & after cooling down well from 90 degrees for 2 Hrs, the unit started dripping ???--(what?)
Had a good shazam towel to mop up --anybody knows what gives?--pulled both filters out & cleaned them.
There should be a drain line running through the inside of the trailer. Mine exits just forward of the street side wheels. Maybe it's clogged or disconnected. Compressed air would be good, or if unavailable, blow mightily into the tube. Have a favorite beverage handy to get the taste out of your mouth!

You can remove the interior part of the A/C and check the drain connections, should be a 1/4" vinyl line that tees into the trailer drain. Continue perfecting your blowing regimen on these lines, and inspect them for cracks or punctures.

Hopefully this will fix the problem!
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:08 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
Havertown , Pennsylvania
A/C dripping

Thanks all --great responses--actually it did stop dripping inside after a few hours of hiking & leaving the trailer alone .--we used it for next 2 nights & all seemed to be good.--btw, in San Antonio & heading west to NM & AZ prior to trying to see South Rim--Any favorite spots to spend nights?
Mike& Stacy--'15 Canyon & Lucy ('12 Flying Cloud , 23FB)
Old 05-08-2015, 05:42 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Melbourne Beach , Florida
I have had 2 Airstreams and they both had condensate dripping from the inside housing.
Does not always happen and it should not happen. The first one i spent many hours taking the housing off and recaulking around the drain tube. Did not help. Solution is a towel under the housing. Leakage is not that much.
When I got my new 2013 25' Flying Cloud I was shocked to see water leakage coming from the housing. Only happens when it happens. I think condensate actually forms on the blower or walls of the housing and there is nothing you can do about this. Fournately the drips happen one day in 25.
Kingsmen 33 is offline   Reply With Quote