Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2021, 12:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Berkeley , California
2020 Globetrotter with solar - completely dead - help!

Went to hook up our trailer for a week’s camping trip to find it stone dead. No sign of any power and hooking up the trailer 12V didn’t do anything (although the exterior lights and indicators work, so no problem with the connection).

The solar install was done at the dealership after we purchased. All was working fine yesterday, but I made the mistake of leaving the fridge on to battery power. I thought that with 400W of solar it would be ok. I’d have no problem if it just drained the batteries (two Lithium), but even so, it should come back to life from the trailer/solar? I checked the breakers and fuses in the panel under the bed. Unless there’s some hidden breaker/fuse I don’t know about, I’m at a loss to figure this out.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Pbn2au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 12:48 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Bozeman , Montana
Lithium batteries should have a system internally that disconnects the battery when the charge gets too low. Different lithium batteries will have different recovery procedures. Best bet is get them immediately on a charger and then go find the manual for the battery to determine if something special is required to allow the batteries to accept a charge. You are in a bit of a race right now against the natural self discharge of the cells. If they go too far the lithium batteries are a write off.
mtbackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:38 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Berkeley , California
Many thanks for the speedy response. This seems to be exactly the problem. For some reason, the TV 12V hookup did not provide the kick to reset the system, so I connected a 12v battery pack, which immediately got it going. Batteries appear to be charging, system senses TV 12v now, so fingers crossed we'll be ok on our trip.
Pbn2au is offline   Reply With Quote