Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2019, 08:08 AM   #1

Longmont , Colorado
2018 Sport w factory Solar - Going through batteries

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to figure out why my 2018 w factory solar is going through batteries. I initially added a second "interstate" brand battery ($250) because the dealership I purchased the unit from said I could use it as a second battery. Last year, when the solar wasn't charging to 100% and wouldn't charge in direct sunlight but in shaded areas, the local dealership said I had to purchase the exact make and model that was in the unit ($400). So I shelled out the $400 for the same make and model and same issue. This spring the local dealership is telling me that both batteries are dead and I have to purchase new batteries, $800. In a year and half I will have spent $1,450 in batteries for a brand new 2018 Airstream Sport 16'.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your input.
ttoddw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Welcome to AirForums. Sorry to hear about your battery issues. I'll try to answer your question generically. I would need more information to provide more assistance. But, based on what I figure, you have an 80 Watt solar panel and a pair of dead AGM batteries.

My first thought is that batteries need to be exactly the same brand, model and age or they will have problems. It sounds like you had different models of batteries and then different ages of batteries, both of which causes problems. Maybe replacing the pair of batteries will fix the problem.

My next thought is that 80W of solar is basically enough to maintain a pair of batteries in storage, but not much more. How far do you draw down these batteries? Do you camp without shore power? Do you check the voltage of your batteries frequently while using the Airstream without shore power? Do you frequently draw down the batteries to 12.0V or below?

I could not dry camp on only 80W of solar without murdering my batteries. 80W of solar will produce 240W on a sunny day without tree canopy. That's less than 20AH of charging. My Airstream uses 12AH with only the store/use switch in the on position. The refrigerator using propane takes 24AH per day. A fantastic fan uses 1.7A when on, or about 40AH per day. Lights, water pump, cellphone charging uses more amps. It doesn't take long to use up the 100AH of usable battery power while only replacing 20AH per day.

With more information on how you use your Airstream, how often you dry camp, what you turn on while dry camping, etc., we could help more.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:48 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard...👍

Better late that never...AS did not manufacture the batteries, you would have been much better off going thru the Brand warrantee.
Interstate pro-rated two sets for us when we first got our Classic.

Charging in the shade and not in direct sun?...was the solar diagnosed? Was the entire system replaced?
As noted the batts do have to be paired, comparable build dates and in service dates.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-14-2019, 02:20 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Solar only charges in the shade? Not in this space time continuum The stock solar with one panel should put about 4 to 5 into the batteries in full / high noon sun.

Any time you take your batteries below 12V, you risk damage. That rather than some voodoo with the solar charger is likely the source of your original problems. Past that, indeed batteries used in pairs need to be same / same.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote