Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2003 34' Classic S/O
San Jose , California
Used to fulltime, now back to work

Hey,
My wife and I have toured the US several times and wintered in Fla and TX. We are back in our trailer after a three year hiatus for a family tragedy. I have also gone back to work in order to continue to live in the very expensive SF Bay Area.

Our two border collies have passed away and our trips will be limited to the summer for a few years now.

Regards to our fellow Airstream travelers.

Colekrc
colekrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:34 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2003 34' Classic S/O
San Jose , California
Well,

We have camped in the Fla panhandle. Our son is a graduate of Auburn (War Eagle). We also wintered at he Travelers Rest park, (which was very nice).

Thanks for the welcome.

BTW, the Air reg number is new to me, what is the AIR number reference?

Ken
Old 07-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Ken-

The Blue numbers on Lucy is our Air Forums Membership Number.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Welcome to the forums,

I was born and raised in Mountain View... you pick a nice place to reside.
Sorry for your loss with the family tragedy.
Hope to see you on one of our local events.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2003 34' Classic S/O
San Jose , California
Mountain View

Go to meet you Vinnie:

Yes, we selected Mountain View while our son was recovering at Stanford. He has made it back as far as living on his own with a roommate and this has freed us to go RV'ing once again. (He was in a car motorcycle accident in Walnut Creek in 2006 -- the other car was running from CHP and going the wrong way on 680 he has some lingering disabilities from the crash but is getting back into his life-- he is 24)

In order to live in MV I had to return to the workplace -- I was a retired Lockheed Martin engineer-- but now I teach at Wilcox High in Santa Clara.

Novato is nice too, we are in the Northern Ca airstream group (at least one of them) but have not been to any of their functions yet. We hope to find a schedule compatible trip next year. We will check the forum from time to time for functions as well.

Stay safe,

Ken and Shanah
Old 07-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Similar story here. 36 years ago my brother was on his way to work (18 at the time) on his 67 Shovel head Harley. He thought he was low on gas so he made a left turn on Homestead road near Homestead high school in Cupertino at 6:30 in the morning. A girl that he went to school with had just turned 18 and just moved out of her home made a left turn with her mustang in front of him. He lost his leg that morning. And with no insurance its been a tough road, but today he still rides a Harley (go figure). He says he's not going to let that event stop him from living. Not sure why these things happen but they happen. Sounds like you guys did the right thing and rallied around your son. Awesome.

Maybe you guys can join us in October for the Jackson Rancheria?

I see you have a big slide out.. would be fun to have another slide out at the rally. Usually im the only one.

Take care

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:28 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2003 34' Classic S/O
San Jose , California
Vinnie,

Keep us informed about the Jackson Rancheria trip, this October I will be pretty heavily into school, teaching math and coaching soccer. That I why I will primarily look at summer events, but we could spare a few days. Our son would give a lot to be able to ride again, but so far he needs more arm and hand.

Sorry about the to your son's accident, it is a fact of life. I put 26K miles on a BMW and had no trouble, our son was one tenth of a second either way from missing his accident. He was at the only point on the onramp where he could not see traffic bearing down on him. He lost a leg and has paralysis on two other limbs but finished an MBA from his hospital bed. He is doing part time work now and walking with the aid of a cane. he can drive and type with his one good hand. He is amazing. Insurance was a problem, he had it but only 1 million, and he blew through that in 5 weeks. We were able to get him back on family plan by the device of his going back to school. He is still covered although not by his job.

We are back in the trailer tonight after dinner at friend's home. We have two more weeks up here in the pacific northwest (Hiouchi campground). It is hot here so we swim in the Smith river. All good. We will have to go back to work sometime.

Slide out is fine, although it shorted out in the wet weather. Airstream needs a better water seal on the outside restaining feet. Otherwise we are doing well.

You take care now,

Ken
Old 07-19-2009, 01:37 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Redmond , Oregon
Welcome to the forums from Oregon! Sorry to hear about the motorcycle accidents from everyone. I ususally have about 10k per year on my BMW and KTM. Fortunately I have had no incidents over the years, with the exception of on the race track with a two stroke triple in my youth.

I am looking forward to pulling the plug on this job in five or six years. I will have to wait and see how the economy is doing and the old body is holding out. Changing from day shift to nights and back every month is getting REAL old.

Keep in mind there are a few states and another country north of the Smith River You are welcome here whenever you want to venture furthur North.

'82 K20 Suburban 4spd
BMW K100RS, KTM 620SC
K7KIT
AIR #251
igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2003 34' Classic S/O
San Jose , California
Hey Bend Oregon

Igor,

I have been all around Bend, but never in the heartland of Oregon. Thnaks for the invite.

Yes, I put 26 k on a BMW --finally quitting only when it got too expensive to keep running. Our son was a one in a million strike because he was in a small blind spot on an on ramp and the criminals were at the same time in the other blind spot driving recklessly toward him. The survivor rate for his injuries is also extreme. Only 35 out of ten thousand riders with broken pelvic structure survive.

Enough gloomy talk, we celebratecd our 30th aniversary last night in Brookings Ore with one more week on the Smith river before we head back home. We will try to get out a few times a year until we retire again. The four years of fulltime retirement that we took were some of the best days of our lives. I hope you get to do some travel after you get that gold watch.

Regards, Ken