Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2020, 03:04 PM   #1

2018 16' Sport
Reno , Nevada
Traded in our backpacks!

Hello All,

After years of backpacking and tent camping my husband and I purchased a 2018 Bambi Sport 16' in January 2020. This is our first trailer so we are very happy to find this forum of AS owners. We have already taken two trips in our unit we have christened: Tranquility Base. Sadly, our latest adventure to the CA coast was cancelled due to the shelter in place orders. Instead we are using this time to outfit the trailer with items we overlooked in our first adventures and learn more about the maintenance and upkeep of the trailer. I look forward to getting some pro/con input on packing the wheel bearings ourselves and one other problem we discovered which I will post to the other forums.

Backpacking was fun but owning an Airstream is a whole new adventure. Plus, my back is so grateful for the comfy mattress in our trailer!

Cheers!

Susan
SierraSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
There are several videos on repacking trailer wheel bearings on YouTube. (There's nothing particularly special about Airstream wheel bearings.) Watch several of them and decide for yourself if it's something you can do, or if you want to just take it someplace and have it done.

lynn
Old 05-19-2020, 04:54 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As has been suggested, watch a couple of YouTubes on repacking trailer wheel bearings. It is not a particularly difficult job, but it is kind of messy.

As far as general trailer maintenance and repair, you should be able to handle most issues yourselves. Not only will you save some money, you will have the job done right.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:07 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
Welcome!

We too have 'earned our way up' over 45+ years, starting with packing in stuff, then a tent trailer (what a relief to get off the cold ground!), then an import pickup camper; then a tiny fifth-wheel for a different import truck; the mistake of a couple different Class A type units; then a few different travel trailers... Always looking at the folks with Airstreams and dreaming our own dreams.

A year and a half ago, we made the leap. Life's too short not to live the Airstream dream.

May you enjoy many silver adventures.
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Virginia City, Nevada for a Test????

Susan, the transition into your Airstream will be easier than it was getting in and out of a tent!

Do a Test Camp at the large empty lot on the North end of Virginia City on the East side of the road into town. We camped there a week ago and all to ourselves. A good way to test everything and close to home.

The drive from the north to Virginia City will be as exciting as your evening in your trailer at this site. Enjoy years of comfort.

Then go to the Cemetery of early Virginia City residents and an easy stroll into town on the boardwalk. Also walk behind the main street buildings. A great self tour.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:41 AM   #6
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Repacking wheel bearings? I thought all Airstreams came with never lube hubs? Is that true only on some models?
Old 05-20-2020, 07:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Welcome to the family!

My “camping” nowadays requires a memory foam mattress, tv / bluray, coffee maker and microwave! Ha!

I have always loved the outdoors and love to hike but my bones and joints now require “glamping.”

So much to see, so little time!
Old 05-20-2020, 07:44 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1994 28' Excella
1950 19' Globetrotter
Elgin , Texas
Glad to read that you have moved up in the world to a real mattress, hot water on demand, real plumbing and A/C. More importantly you are the potential future customer for my 34ft'r when you decide that your first A/S is too small.
We too started with a Bambi years ago and progressively worked our way up for esoteric reasons. I'm sure one day we'll walk that back some and you just be walking that up some.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #9

2018 16' Sport
Reno , Nevada
Such a warm welcome, thanks!

Thanks everyone! Such a warm welcome!
Now I am learning to use this format in order to respond to your messages.

Thanks for the encouragement to study up on the wheel bearing packing using YouTube videos resources.

I like the idea of staying close to home as we get to know our trailer. Virginia City is a great idea for a close by campout.

Susan
Old 05-26-2020, 10:55 AM   #10

2018 16' Sport
Reno , Nevada
Hi Ray,
Thanks for the suggestion to camp in VC, NV. I am learning how to use the AS forum to answer individual posts. You are one of my "guinea pigs" in clicking on different icons on the page. There is much to see in VC and usually lots of space.

Happy camping,
Susan
Old 05-26-2020, 10:59 AM   #11

2018 16' Sport
Reno , Nevada
Hi,
I am brand new to owning a trailer but my understanding is that our Bambi has "ever lube" bearings which is not the same as NEVER lube bearings. The mechanic at Airstream in LA explained to me that our trailer would need to have the bearing repacked periodically. I suggest you research this topic further for your own trailer.

Happy camping,
Susan
Old 05-26-2020, 01:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I did the backpacking thing many years ago.
I went through a few RV's from fold downs to MH.
Now my idea of "roughing it" is when the ice maker runs out.

I looked for Dexter 'ever lube' axles and didn't find any, but they do have EZ-Lube. You simply take a grease gun to the zerk fitting on the axle and force the grease through the bearings, a two minute job.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Welcome to Bambi and Airstream family! I traded my Coleman Niagara for this 2017 Bambi Sport... Love it...

Amazon has this https://www.amazon.com/Airstream-Lif...0525530&sr=8-1

Maintaining Airstream: washing and waxing twice a year depending on where you live, dry lube key holes, winterizing, deep spring cleaning and check brakes.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote