Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2006, 02:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Cascade , Maryland
Took a Dive into the Deep End!

Greetings all,

I thought I'd better post a quick introduction, as I suspect that I will be in regular contact with many of you for quite some time. I just brought home my 1972 Tradewind AS, and am looking forward to many interesting projects and conversations over the next several years. I don't have any pictures yet, but I'll try to get some soon, and I'm certain that you all have some great advice to a first time Air Stream owner, as seen throughout the pages on this great site... Kudos to the creators and hosts.

Of course, what is a post without a question...

As I brought this unit home, I was in a follow vehicle (I don't even have a hitch for my truck yet), and noticed water coming from the back rear. Now I did have the unit inspected, and they indicated that there may be some leaks, though the previous owner swears that the connections are just loose, as he did that to prevent damage. Long story short... how does one go about draining all of the water out of the system so that things won't freeze. For the life of me, I can't find a drain plug anywhere.

Anyway, happy travels, and I look forward to "meeting" many of you.

Paul Pinkerton
Cascade, MD
Pinkerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Our models are not the same - I have a '72 Globetrotter. The drain for mine is located under my curbside sofa, inside the trailer. You may have to trace your plumbing a bit.
Good luck, and welcome to the forums! Lots of great info here.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Look for two drains in the pipes. Not always two, but worth finding if there are.

The drain for the fresh water tank is a little more difficult. It will be down in a well cut into the floor, usually under the sink cabinetry. It may be just a petcock, like you used to see on evaporative cooler supply lines. It takes a day and half to drain the tank...

Zep
Old 11-05-2006, 05:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Welcome to the Forums!
Old 11-05-2006, 08:46 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Cascade , Maryland
Question Curbside

Thanks for the suggestions. You've given me some other places to look, now all I have to do is get some daylight to do so. The neophite that I am, has to ask 1 very key question. When you say Curbside... is that the side the door is on (and thus the curb when driving) or do I have it backwards?

Thanks again.

--Paul
Old 11-05-2006, 08:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
funny how all the connections are on the 'street' side. yes, curbside is the door side and the side that's closest to the shoulder when you're driving (in the right lane).

Zep
Old 11-05-2006, 09:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
funny how all the connections are on the 'street' side. yes, curbside is the door side and the side that's closest to the shoulder when you're driving (in the right lane).

Zep
Hi, yes, but it wouldn't be too funny if all the connections were on the curb side. That would put my sewer connection under my kitchen window. And I think they figuered out if all the connections were on the street side, it would be very difficult to hook up your RV while parked on the street.

Bob
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Welcome! Excellent choice of trailer!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 01:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your new trailer. If I remember correctly with my old Tradewind the drain was located under the trailer on the belly below the fresh water tank, midway street side.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:11 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your new trailer. If I remember correctly with my old Tradewind the drain was located under the trailer on the belly below the fresh water tank, midway street side.
That's correct. I just drained mine last week. If the OP wants to drain his lines, the easiest way to do that is to open all the water lines (there are 3 valves located in the cabinet below the galley sink and one or two at the rear, either in the compartment behind the toilet or in the streetside wardrobe). Also open the taps to the kitchen sing and shower/sink. Attach an air hose to the water connection at street side and blow compressed air through the lines. Also, don't forget to drain the water heater! If you don't have an air compressor, the owner's manual says you can open all the valves as mentioned above and raise and lower the front of the trailer with the tongue jack to drain out the water. I hope this helps.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:06 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums and congrats on your Airstream!

I am not familiar with your model, but cameront120 has an excellent suggestion. We have a couple of drain pipes in our 1963 Bambi, but my hubby completely re-plumbed everything last year. Even though much of ours drains well, when winterizing, he blows all out with an air compressor. Be sure you don't over do the pressure and blow out stuff you don't want to damage! If you can't find the drains, etc. post questions and maybe someone will have pics of theirs that is similar you can view!

Enjoy your new 'stream

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
you can't hurt your plumbing with a standard shop air compressor, which have max pressures of 125 psi. PEX will withstand 400 psi and copper even more.

You can, however, hurt yourself. Once the system is pressurized with air it contains lots of stored energy, so if something did happen to come apart, it would do so in a very violent and high velocity manner. Water at the same pressure is much safer--since it's incompressible, only a small leak will result in instant loss of pressure and consequently, force, so something full of water might burst, but there's no violent flinging involved.

Zep
Old 11-10-2006, 05:01 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Cascade , Maryland
Cool

Thanks for the replies and the welcome. Tomorow I will dive into this project and find all of the various drains... I hope. I do have an aircompressor, so I just might try that method.
Old 11-11-2006, 03:00 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Paul : From one new owner to another, congratulations and welcome!

If you are able to get your hands on a copy of the manual for your unit I would highly recommend it. We have a CD version of the one for ours and it has helped tremendously knowing where everything is and how it goes together (and comes apart).
wannaroam is offline   Reply With Quote