Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Time to introduce myself & our new Flying Cloud

Hello-
I've actually been visiting these forums for a few months. My husband and I purchased our new 2013 28' Flying Cloud on the last day of March 2013. Then we had to go out and purchase a new F150. Wow...two major purchases within a week. It was scary.

So how did we end up with an Airstream? It was totally by chance. A new Airstream dealership opened up right next to Costco, and every time we drove by I would be so impressed with all those shiny trailers!

My husband recently retired and on a whim, we decided to pull in to the Airstream dealership. To be truthful, I was really "just looking". Obviously, he was "seriously looking". When he said he wanted to actually buy one, I looked at him like he had grown two heads! For weeks, we talked, we discussed, we researched, we read, we looked, we argued...and in the end he won.

We bought an Airstream!

It took me a few weeks, but I admit I am very happy to call myself an AS owner!

We've been out several times, had a few problems (broken bedroom window, shattered bathroom mirror), but I was surprised how much I enjoyed "camping" in the woods.

Learning everything about our Flying Cloud has been daunting! First thing I did was organize all those manuals and user guides. I created a manila folder for every single manual. Now it's real easy to find the one I want.

By the way, writing User Guides is my job. My plan is to put together a few quick reference guides for myself, and offer them to anybody here who wants a copy. For example, I already "wrote" one for the microwave/convection oven. I just need to do a final review. I just wish I had more time - unfortunately, I still work full time.

Is it fair my husband is retired and I'm not? Doesn't seem fair to me!

Anyway, thank you all for all the help you've given me so far. You're all a great group of people, I'm glad to be a member here!

Here's a picture of our trailer at the very first park we visited - site #8 at Elwha Dam RV Park in Port Angeles, Washington!

Yollie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5408.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	662.4 KB
ID:	188689  
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Welcome, glad to hear you are have come around to your husbands point of view. Really glad you like camping, it took my wife a little while to get into the swing of things now she enjoys camping and has become the guide and campground approver.

Yes it fair that your husband is retired and your not, I know this because my wife is retired and I am not and she tells me it is fair.

Great idea on the manuals, I would love to have a a copy of the Microwave/Convection oven manual. I really need one on the thermostat, it drives me crazy.

Hope you and your DH have many a happy day in your new trailer. I am fond of the 28.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' FB International
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2play View Post
Hello-
I've actually been visiting these forums for a few months. My husband and I purchased our new 2013 28' Flying Cloud on the last day of March 2013. Then we had to go out and purchase a new F150. Wow...two major purchases within a week. It was scary.

So how did we end up with an Airstream? It was totally by chance. A new Airstream dealership opened up right next to Costco, and every time we drove by I would be so impressed with all those shiny trailers!

My husband recently retired and on a whim, we decided to pull in to the Airstream dealership. To be truthful, I was really "just looking". Obviously, he was "seriously looking". When he said he wanted to actually buy one, I looked at him like he had grown two heads! For weeks, we talked, we discussed, we researched, we read, we looked, we argued...and in the end he won.

We bought an Airstream!

It took me a few weeks, but I admit I am very happy to call myself an AS owner!

We've been out several times, had a few problems (broken bedroom window, shattered bathroom mirror), but I was surprised how much I enjoyed "camping" in the woods.

Learning everything about our Flying Cloud has been daunting! First thing I did was organize all those manuals and user guides. I created a manila folder for every single manual. Now it's real easy to find the one I want.

By the way, writing User Guides is my job. My plan is to put together a few quick reference guides for myself, and offer them to anybody here who wants a copy. For example, I already "wrote" one for the microwave/convection oven. I just need to do a final review. I just wish I had more time - unfortunately, I still work full time.

Is it fair my husband is retired and I'm not? Doesn't seem fair to me!

Anyway, thank you all for all the help you've given me so far. You're all a great group of people, I'm glad to be a member here!

Here's a picture of our trailer at the very first park we visited - site #8 at Elwha Dam RV Park in Port Angeles, Washington!

Yollie
Welcome! Also a new owner. Feels great to join the club, right?
terry.morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Welcome! Great story, great pic, great adventures ahead. Enjoy!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
SuEllyn retired two years before I did. Is That fair? I guess so. That was twelve years ago. Since then, we have over 1,200 nights in the Airstream all over the country. It has been the greatest time of our lives.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I have no idea when we're going to be able to retire (if ever) but that's why we got the Tin Goat now. Life is just too short and we're having a BLAST every time out! Just love it!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Thanks all for the warm welcome! This site has been invaluable, we have learned so much here. My husband and I are totally new to RV'ing and we honestly knew nothing! We were like keystone cops on that first day. We parked, then looked at each other and said "Now what?".

Reading instructions and manuals is one thing, actually performing a task is something else entirely. Heck, we even called our brother-in-law, who has a trailer as well (different brand), and asked him why the water wasn't coming out of the faucet. He asked if we had turned on the water pump. Oops, no we hadn't. Like I said...we were keystone cops.

But we got through it, and we had FUN!!

Anyway, again thanks again to all of you. And Jim, as soon as my microwave quick reference guide is done, I'll make it available for you and anyone else here who wants it.

Yollie
Old 06-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
...Just so you don't feel dumb. The Sharp Thermal/Convection/Microwave has to be the most complex electronic device for basically simple functions. Part of it is the "pre-programmed" modes. After a year, I became so frustrated that I replaced it with a Cuisinart (which Airstream now uses in some models). Much better experience.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Welcome from another Washingtonian. Nice picture of your first camp site. Let us know when you get some of the manuals done, should be interesting.

I just retired on the 1st of June and am working harder now than when I was employed, go figure?

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Hi time2play, We're very interested in a 28' as well, but concerned about storage space, especially regarding food and other kitchen essentials.
There doesn't seem to actually be a "pantry" like any of the 27's.
What's your experience?
BTW, thanks for your replies to my posts.
Dave
callmedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Hi Dave-
So far storage hasn't been an issue. But then, our longest trip on the AS has been 4 days. We plan on going for 2 weeks in August, maybe the storage will be an issue for us then.

However, the 28' has overhead cupboards on both sides of the kitchen (above the dinette table and above the stove/sink area). These are roomy cupboards and we have found them to hold quite a bit of food items. I may be wrong, but I believe the 27' has the overhead cupboards only on one side. On the other hand, the 27' has the pantry so that makes up for the cupboard.

I don't know if it evens out or not...I'm certainly no expert. I just know at this point, we haven't utilized half of the storage capabilities of the 28'.

For me personally, I just liked the "look and feel" of the 28' including the separate dining area, plus my husband liked the front-facing couch.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Thanks so much - this'll help us going forward. We like the 28' for the same reasons as you. Looks like the food/kitchen stuff might not be a problem…
How do you like the convection/microwave? Do you miss having an oven?
Dave
Old 06-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Dave,
Our 28' came installed with a gas oven, but we asked for it to be replaced with a microwave/convection oven. There are varying opinions on this site with regards to this topic, you can do a little research and you'll find lots of threads discussing the oven issue.

I personally like the microwave/convection oven. I've baked cookies, made toasted garlic bread, and used the microwave for popcorn and other items. So far, I think it's great.

Yes, the User Guide is confusing and not very well written. But I learn by writing down my own instructions, which ends up being my own "User Guide". I work in Training, so I guess it's just my nature to turn complicated written instructions into something simple.

If you do end up buying an Airstream - I know you're going to love it!
Old 06-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
My wife wants to know what one does if dry camping with only a MW/CO…do the batteries provide sufficient power?
Old 06-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmedave View Post
My wife wants to know what one does if dry camping with only a MW/CO…do the batteries provide sufficient power?
No, the battery does not provide sufficient power for the MW/CO. I believe that's one of the advantages of having a gas oven - you can use the propane for your oven when you're dry camping. For us, it's a non-issue as we purchased a set of Honda generators to use when we are dry camping. With the generators, you can basically use anything in the trailer - including the MW/CO.

By the way, our Honda Generators are due to arrive on Monday! We can't wait to try them out.

Here's a recent thread about the subject of MW/CO:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...ot-101714.html
Old 06-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Naples , Florida
Welcome to Airstreaming and to the Forum! You will find the vast majority of Airstream owners to be friendly and supportive. Enjoy!
martian is offline   Reply With Quote