Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-19-2006, 04:33 PM   #1

housatonic , Massachusetts
Exclamation This is soooooo!! Cool!! Hi everybody!!

Hi!!
My husband and i just got home from a camping show and saw a T@B for the first time. I'm in love!!!! In fact i am so motivated to have one of these in my possesion, i am really gonna be serious about paying down our equity loan, so we can buy one.
Very excited about finding this forum. Want to talk with others who are researching these trailers, and find out what its really like to actually spend time in one. My name is Rhonda and we live in the berkshires of Massachusetts....bye now
martooon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 04:38 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
welcome to the forums

Welcome to the forums

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 04:41 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Rhonda, Take a deeeeep breath, relax, think about this..... for the price they are asking, you could find a VERY nice small vintage Airstream with lots more room and features inside. I've looked and drooled over those "grown-up teardrops" too, but just can't see the value/$$$$$ justification. They are cool, though. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hi Rhonda,

Welcome to the Forum. I looked at a T@b, then bought a 19CCD. No comparison! I don't believe that you will find any info on those in this forum, as we all have Airstream products. Even though T@b is a Thor product, this is the first thread I have seen on it.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
We saw one being towed behind an Interstate

That was a very sharp looking combo. I say go for what you love (but Darol is the voice of rational thought).

Welcome to the forums,
KL
Old 02-19-2006, 05:02 PM   #6
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Rhonda... I agree with Darol. First, welcome to the Forums. Now... about the T@B... they're heavy for their size, have little room inside, are expensive for their size and features, and are still a "stick-built" with either fiberglass or aluminum skin. Once you get past their "cute" value, and they certainly have that, the feature per dollar ratio falls pretty quickly.

Here's a thread on another forum that references a third thread about towing the T@B that you might find interesting: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=18438

Good luck with whatever you decide...

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:59 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Silverback, Thanks for the "rational thought" comment - usually it's "wet blanket!" Rhonda, Google "Tear Drop Trailers" for a pretty good list of comparative trailers Although most are smaller than T@B, you can get some good ideas. Darol
Old 02-19-2006, 06:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I thought Tabs were cute as a button too, but there is a whole lot of converting to do with the multiple use features such as dinette to bed, and I think that using storing and emptying a portapotti would get old real fast. I remember our pop-up days. There are other light trailers out there with more to offer.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Hi Rhonda,

I've also researched the T@B and think it is an interesting, lightweight trailer. If you prefer it over anything Airstream offers, go for it. It will be fun. If you can hold off for a couple more months, Airstream will be shipping the new Base Camp to their dealers. It is a radical departure from the stansard Airstream shape and style and might appeal to you. It is about the same size as the T@B, but you can attach a Kelty tent to the back of the trailer for extra living space. Also, the interior fixtures such as the kitchen, bunks, etc. are modularized and removeable, so that you can arrange the inside the way you want it. It will be less than $20K, and as I recall, the T@Bs are currently running from $12-16K. The Base Camp will be worth checking out. Search the threads here on this forum for some photos. They're neat!
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:33 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Mobile , Alabama
OK, I give up. What in Hell is a T@B?
InspectorDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
They look like this....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tab.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	18570  
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 07:45 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Inspector, It's basically a pregnant teardrop trailer with multi-colored trim, a 5 gal. plastic container and handpump for fresh water system, another plastic container for grey water, a portapottie, two-burner cook top, tiny fridge, single sink, a double bed that converts to a dinette, and stand-up room in about 1/3 of the interior all set on a glorified boat trailer frame. Cost: around $15,000. Darol
Old 02-19-2006, 07:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by InspectorDread
OK, I give up. What in Hell is a T@B?
Since you asked....

http://www.tab-rv.com/
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
The picture above has me wondering what he might be saying to her as he looks through the window from the outside. My first thought was "Hey honey, when you get through with that magazine...can I come in for awhile?
Cute trailer though.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:34 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome Rhonda and I an glad you found the Airstream Forum, there must be "karma" in that find.
The T@B is indeed cute and we have met some people who try and camp in them. They offer less room than most tents and have the disadvantage of permanent fixtures which tents do not have. My suggestion would be to go to a dealer with the intention of spending at least a couple hours inside with the door closed. Remember camping includes those rainy, cold days.
The karma of finding the Airstream Forum is that here you will read about people just like you who have purchased used or vintage Airstream trailers and use them as their regular camper. I once met a man and wife with a 60's Airstream I referred to it as a vintage and he corrected me saying it was just their camper. The Airstream could be lighter and much easier to tow depending on which model you choose. Then there is the new base camp which gives you the combination of tenting and trailering. Our dealer has one now and soon all dealers will have one. Check out the possibilities and again welcome to the forum.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:50 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Wink Sounds like you need a Twister....

I could not download a picture, but a company started making high quality reproduction vintage campers a few years ago with beautiful birchwood interiors. They are very high quality. One is featured in Doug Keisters' book "Ready to Roll".

There is one for sale on the Tin Can Tourists website right now with pictures

@ http://www.tincantourists.com/classi...hp?product=202
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:14 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
The picture above has me wondering what he might be saying to her as he looks through the window from the outside. My first thought was "Hey honey, when you get through with that magazine...can I come in for awhile?
Cute trailer though.
LOL
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Hey Honey, is dinner ready yet? I've invited Tom and Mary and their kids. Oh, I need to use the porta potti.
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 07:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Base Camp

Martooon -- I noticed these shots of the Base Camp on a member's photos: http://www.airforums.com/photo...0602&catid=509

Looks interesting if you love minis.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:12 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Pauma Valley , California
Hey Rhonda,
I'd never seen one until your message. I checked them out and yes, they are darling. I almost e-mailed the site to my daughter but with closer consideration decided it wouldn't work for her family. I'm with the others who say you can get more bang for your buck elsewhere.
DaisyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote