Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2023, 03:02 PM   #1
D & L Gates

2024 25' Trade Wind
Pella , Iowa
Not yet owners...

Hello to all! I have loved the iconic look of Airstreams for ages. Kind of got Airstream fever a few years ago. I was gung-ho whilst my wife was dubious about it. Then two years ago we stayed in a 25 ft Eddie Bauer edition AirB&B on a visit to California, just to try the trailer experience. I came away not-so-sure and my wife thought it was great. I didn't see that coming!

My wife and I are finally ready to begin the buying process. I've settled on the Globetrotter 25FBT--or perhaps a 27FBT (because I would really like to have the microwave). The primary reasons for Globetrotter over the other trim levels are (1) flip-up doors on the overhead bins instead of sliding panels, (2) the dark walnut wood option, and (3) the upholstered "headboard" pieces for the beds.

We will need a tow vehicle for the Airstream. I really do not like traveling in a pickup so I am hoping that a Toyota Sequoia, a Nissan Armada, or similar could pull the trailer. Just starting to look into this now.
dee_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 04:35 PM   #2
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Let me be the first to welcome you to the forum. It's a great place to share and learn.

And, while be admittedly prejudiced, I think the 27' GT FBT is a great choice. We started with a 25' FBT International that we bought used. Both have been great but having the 2 extra feet made a big difference for us.

Wishing you well in your search. Keep us posted on how it goes!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 04:53 PM   #3
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I've owned an Armada, and currently tow my FC26U with a 2500 Silverado. I would not tow a 27 with an Armada, or anything over a 25. I encourage you to look at actual door stickers and trailer stickers before making your purchase.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 05:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hello from Colorado and welcome to these Airstream Forums. Lots of information here and helpful folks to boot. I spent the first 40 years of my life in Iowa. How could someone from Iowa not like riding in a pick up. Everyone has one seems to me. I tow my Airstream with a Super Duty as I like the diesel engine. I might add that modern pick up trucks ride and drive like cars. They are very comfortable have all the amenities that luxury cars have; unless you select a "work truck" for hauling pigs to market. You might explore the big SUVs that are built on a truck chassis like the Suburban. The truck cooling systems, transmissions, axles, brakes, wheelbase and more come in handy while towing up and down mountains.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 05:55 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Williamsburg , Virginia
Welcome. There is quite a lot of info on all your inquiries on the Forums, from 25 vs 27 to a million or so threads on tow vehicles. You should enjoy the search.

As has been said, today's trucks have a very car-like ride. We tow a 27 with a Ford F250 diesel, very comfortable and easy. But, there are many opinions. Good luck!
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:26 PM   #6
D & L Gates

2024 25' Trade Wind
Pella , Iowa
We have been to the Airstream dealer, looked inside a FC 23, an International 25 FBT, and a GT 30 FBT in the colors we like. We have decided on a GT 25 FBT in Mahogany/Dublin Slate. We'll opt for the microwave/convection oven and probably some augmented solar. I'm still trying to get up to speed on inverters, solar controllers, pass-through, all of that stuff.

For a tow vehicle we have landed on a Chevrolet Tahoe LT with both towing packages plus some other things. The Tahoe does not have integrated trailering mirrors but I have found snap-on mirrors which will fill the bill. Since those make the mirrors stick out even more, I will get the power folding mirrors option so they will be out of the way wherever we park.

Now to find us some funds!
Old 04-12-2023, 08:31 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
springfield , Missouri
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee_gee View Post
We have been to the Airstream dealer, looked inside a FC 23, an International 25 FBT, and a GT 30 FBT in the colors we like. We have decided on a GT 25 FBT in Mahogany/Dublin Slate. We'll opt for the microwave/convection oven and probably some augmented solar. I'm still trying to get up to speed on inverters, solar controllers, pass-through, all of that stuff.

For a tow vehicle we have landed on a Chevrolet Tahoe LT with both towing packages plus some other things. The Tahoe does not have integrated trailering mirrors but I have found snap-on mirrors which will fill the bill. Since those make the mirrors stick out even more, I will get the power folding mirrors option so they will be out of the way wherever we park.

Now to find us some funds!
So the key to solar is what temps are you going to camp in. If it is never really hot doesn’t matter all that much what inverter you have, bigger is always better, but not crucial. If you are going to use the AC off the grid then you need a 3K inverter, and not the 1K that comes standard.

We just took delivery of our International 23 FBT. Adding solar and 3K inverter shortly.

JC
xpcdoojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 07:02 AM   #8
D & L Gates

2024 25' Trade Wind
Pella , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpcdoojk View Post
So the key to solar is what temps are you going to camp in. If it is never really hot doesn’t matter all that much what inverter you have, bigger is always better, but not crucial. If you are going to use the AC off the grid then you need a 3K inverter, and not the 1K that comes standard.

We just took delivery of our International 23 FBT. Adding solar and 3K inverter shortly.

JC
Thanks for your post! The salesman suggested upgrading the inverter to 2K, primarily so we can occasionally use the microwave off-grid. But I do think a 3K inverter is a wise future-proof to handle AC eventually. Once we have some experience w/ the AS we can add the solar and batteries as needed.

I see you're in Spfld MO. I am a Drury College grad (still don't think of it as 'University').