Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Lenexa , Kansas
Smile Newbi checking-in!

Lurking about the Air Forums site for a couple of weeks....this is my first post. Your site is very interesting and informative.

Looking to purchase an AS this spring. We purchased a new Terry 21' in 1976 and enjoyed it for 10 years. The kids were young then and enjoyed camping with the "rents" and grand parents. Then they turned into teenagers...sports...then college. I would bet many of you have similar history.

Fast forward to now and looking to get back to traveling via an AS. We moved from Highlands Ranch, CO to Lenexa, KS (suburb of Kansas City) to be near one of our daughters that had triplets 3-years ago.

It's interesting there is not an AS dealer in metro Kansas City! We have not decided which route to go: new or previously-owned. I'm certainly interested in your thoughts on this subject.

That's it for now! Look forward to contributing to the forum as time marches on!

Jeff & Patricia Eaton
rvjeff9424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #2

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjeff9424 View Post
Lurking about the Air Forums site for a couple of weeks....this is my first post. Your site is very interesting and informative.

Looking to purchase an AS this spring. We purchased a new Terry 21' in 1976 and enjoyed it for 10 years. The kids were young then and enjoyed camping with the "rents" and grand parents. Then they turned into teenagers...sports...then college. I would bet many of you have similar history.

Fast forward to now and looking to get back to traveling via an AS. We moved from Highlands Ranch, CO to Lenexa, KS (suburb of Kansas City) to be near one of our daughters that had triplets 3-years ago.

It's interesting there is not an AS dealer in metro Kansas City! We have not decided which route to go: new or previously-owned. I'm certainly interested in your thoughts on this subject.

That's it for now! Look forward to contributing to the forum as time marches on!

Jeff & Patricia Eaton
Welcome to the forums! We live in Olathe and are not too far from you of you want to peek at ours, ask questions etc. did you go to the RV show? Airstream from St Louis is there but theres no dealer here we had to go to Williamsburg VA to get our lightly used Bambi. Worth every mile! We do a lot ourselves but Olathe RV in Gardner is a nice shop for packing bearings etc.

Once again Welcome and feel free to PM us.

Brad and Zell
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
Welcome to the forums. Whether you buy new or used, sounds like you need a big one, with the triplets. Our daughter has twins, boys nine years old, identical. They think when the trailer leaves our house, they are supposed to be in the TV with us, which we like. Whatever you get, good luck and enjoy the grandkids.
afneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjeff9424 View Post

Jeff & Patricia Eaton
Welcome!

You'll probably find that Reliable RV in Springfield is going to be your closest AS dealer. They been selling ASs for two years.

I bought my 23 from them and it was a good experience.

Their website has current inventory on it.

Good luck!

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
New Florence , Missouri
Send a message via Skype™ to alumawife
Welcome to our neck of the woods. We have both BT Campers in Wentzville and Reliable in Springfield here in MO. If you are looking for used, The Airstream Guy is in KC. He rehabs and connects buyers and sellers of used units. We worked with him a couple times. We found our AS on www.airstreamclassifieds.com. Good luck!
alumawife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
Topeka , Kansas
Welcome
Just ordered my new AS from Jesse at Bill Thomas last month. Great experience and price. He started in service before sales and understands all aspects of AS.
2club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome! We had very similar experience working in Silicon Valley and buying basic Nomad Weekender ("Casa de Cardboard") when children were young.. Put 30K+ miles on it, including trips into Canada and across US to Maine, but after 14 years and college they were too cool to be in RV with us, so we upgraded to late '80's Airstream and sold Nomad to young couple looking for cheap place to live with new baby.. Many floorplans aren't great for travel with multiple children and pets, but it can be done.. If it is mostly you two, then I'd recommend looking at late model used versions in range from 1995 to 2005 and 23' to 28'.. Pre-1995 models were 6" narrower and had less overhead storage on sides (may not be an issue) but defines primary shift in body styles.. Among decisions you need to make are:
1. How heavy you go, and what to tow with? SHorter/lighter means less dedicated tow vehicle, and 25's and shorter can be pulled with 1/2 ton pickup or SUVs
2. How many people are going along? IF it is a crowd, dinette and convertible beds are needed; and if not a fixed bed will work..
3. Do you prefer queen (really they are barely doubles..) or twin beds? Hard to convert after decision made...
4. Are you OK with used or gently used, or willing to spend more for new? Warranty is good, but gently used may be de-bugged already, and much less money to start, in event you decide plan needs to be adjusted..
5. Where will you be going? If you cruise on freeways from RV Park to RV park with pull-through spaces, then length and comfort are positives.. If you think you'd prefer federal/state/local parks and boondocking/wilderness lands, then smaller and more maneuverable is better.

There are many more decisions to make, but deciding on basics of "A Plan" are good way to narrow choices and begin looking for specific models and conditions...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Van Wert , Ohio
For most of us the AS purchase is the fulfillment of a lifetime of camping and when able purchasing a functional icon.
hissilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:28 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Bluffton , South Carolina
Oooooh...this helps me, too! (:
Mtnlvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I live only a couple of miles from one of the oldest AS dealers in the US (Out-of-Doors Mart in Colfax, NC). So, before I decided what to buy I was able to look at all of the models (not necessarily lengths/floor plans). Even before I decided to buy, I spent HOURS reading all the posts on the forums (go to the specific model section for ideas). Also, Colonial Airstream in NJ has BY FAR, the very best and current website for every single model...with wonderful photographs and links to everything. They are a great resource, and you'll find tons of extremely satisfied buyers...if I hadn't had a local dealer, I would have bought there. WARNING: once you set foot inside, you're going to be badly smitten! You also could do an overnighter and drive to Jackson Center...go through the factory tour, see how they are built and feel the pride of the folks who work there. I did the factory tour after I'd ordered my trailer, and while I was there they gave me the specific date it'd be built and finished (and it was). There are people who actually go there and check in while their trailer is being built! (Yes, there are people who go to Bowling Green, KY to watch their new Corvette on the assembly line...which is another amazing factory tour, BTW). In any event, you are in the RIGHT place by being on the AirForums. Lots of passionate people (and sometimes some bitter invective, I might add). I'd also take BiMitch up on his invitation to go to Olathe and look at his Bambi. And, feel free to PM me if you have a specific question.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #11
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Welcome! Hope your search is as fruitful as ours was... Happy Trails
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:35 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Bluffton , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I live only a couple of miles from one of the oldest AS dealers in the US (Out-of-Doors Mart in Colfax, NC). So, before I decided what to buy I was able to look at all of the models (not necessarily lengths/floor plans). Even before I decided to buy, I spent HOURS reading all the posts on the forums (go to the specific model section for ideas). Also, Colonial Airstream in NJ has BY FAR, the very best and current website for every single model...with wonderful photographs and links to everything. They are a great resource, and you'll find tons of extremely satisfied buyers...if I hadn't had a local dealer, I would have bought there. WARNING: once you set foot inside, you're going to be badly smitten! You also could do an overnighter and drive to Jackson Center...go through the factory tour, see how they are built and feel the pride of the folks who work there. I did the factory tour after I'd ordered my trailer, and while I was there they gave me the specific date it'd be built and finished (and it was). There are people who actually go there and check in while their trailer is being built! (Yes, there are people who go to Bowling Green, KY to watch their new Corvette on the assembly line...which is another amazing factory tour, BTW). In any event, you are in the RIGHT place by being on the AirForums. Lots of passionate people (and sometimes some bitter invective, I might add). I'd also take BiMitch up on his invitation to go to Olathe and look at his Bambi. And, feel free to PM me if you have a specific question.

BAB, we were just at Out of Doors Mart yesterday for the first time, and we learned a lot. Got to see several models. We're new to the forums, and I love this site...so many knowledgable people! What do you think of Out of Doors Mart and pricing for new and used models? They did have a 19ft preowned Bambi, but we didn't get there fast enough. ): Did you guys order through them? We're looking at starting out with 16-19 ft Bambi. They sure had a gorgeous new 20 ft Bambi in the showroom though. (;Thanks!
Mtnlvrs is offline   Reply With Quote