Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2014, 11:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Shingletown , California
New from northern Cali!

Hey everyone, I'm from the real deal Northern California just outside of Redding where I am only an hour away from two volcanoes, beautiful lake Shasta, and any and all the camping you could ever want from this golden state. I'm looking into purchasing an airstream and do a full renovation, I'm a younger gent at 25, and extremely ambitious and motivated, I have been reading lots from the renovations forums and have already personally seen two airstreams I was interested in person. I am currently still looking for that perfect buy where the price is right and the unit is in acceptable working condition before I rip it apart. Going to be a lot of fun getting involved and hope I set a good example for my 3 year old daughter as what a project this scale looks like beginning and seeing through to the end. She is my biggest motivation as I am a single parent and trying to set the example of what life is all about(fun!!). Hope to see everyone else's amazing projects on here and get some good advice. Thanks for reading my novel!!!
A.scottrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Welcome!

Take the back roads and look for Airstreams with expired tags or tall grass all around. I am confident that you can find a good buy (under $3500) within a year if you put in a lot of miles.

But be forewarned--even a good looking Airstream, if it has been sitting for a few years and is truly vintage, can have a lot of surprises. I've redone five 70s models, so when I finally bought this one I was confident that I knew what I was getting into. The floor rot in the bath totally caught me off guard (this is a known issue due to poor design of the rear bumper locker, but I hadn't encountered it).

See this post for the details on cost and issues for refurbing the 73 Safari.

Zep
Old 04-26-2014, 09:41 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
woodland , California
Hello from woodland California. there is a airstream here in town I see it periodically. It looks to me to be in its late 70's. No for sale sign but..... I'm excited for you and all ur ambitions. Yayyyy! !!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Airstream Forums mobile app
freebird68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird68 View Post
... there is a airstream here in town I see it periodically. It looks to me to be in its late 70's. No for sale sign but.....
Go ask. None of my six Airstreams were for sale until I asked.
Caravel -- took five months
Overlander -- took 6 weeks
Sovereign -- probate and kids took three years, then title took another two years (California can be butt-headed)
Safari '77 -- took a month and two trips to Arizona, but title took 3 years and some sleuthing back to Iowa
Safari '73 -- took three years, calling every 6 months
Ambassador -- "if you can move it you can have it," but it took another two months to go back and get it.
What I'm saying here is (1) go ask, (2) be nice, and (3) have patience. I've only been yelled at once for asking--irate wife was in my face, then her huge, wholly tattooed, bearded, biker husband came to the door and said "sorry, don't mind her, it was her grand dad's."

Zep
Old 04-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
woodland , California
That's great!!! Super funny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Airstream Forums mobile app
freebird68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:02 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Shingletown , California
Great stories and good advice, I was driving on a job the other day and saw one briefly and had the thought to go ask, their house was fully gated so I decided to archive the thought and maybe head by again some day. I will definitely use the "American Picker's" method and just ask!
Old 05-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Take a look here, but it might be in too good a shape for you.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11116...05671531547809

Based on the defects they list, I would say it's more like a $5000-$6000, if the frame is in good shape (no sag) and the shell is good.

Z
Old 05-11-2014, 12:44 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Shingletown , California
I tried looking at the link but it only took me to google plus pics, can you repost link?
Old 05-11-2014, 07:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
click on the word "here" in the first line. That takes me to a page where you can communicate with the owner, down at the bottom.
Z
Old 05-11-2014, 10:21 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Shingletown , California
Many thanks my friend, quite the drive if it works out, half the adventure!
Old 05-12-2014, 12:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome to the forums! This is the best place to learn all things Airstream! We are nearly "neighbors"! We are even more "northern"! A while back parked behind the Les Schwab Tire place out of Mt. Shasta City was a Airstream that might have been for sale... a smaller older one.... but it was a while back.... just look here at the ads and you might just find what you are looking for! Good luck! It took us quite a while to find just the right one, and we picked ours up on eBay. In the meantime, read and learn all you can!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.scottrobot View Post
Many thanks my friend, quite the drive if it works out, half the adventure!
You will do yourself a big favor if you take US 50 across Nevada. There is a great sense of openness and loneliness out there, as well as several totally worthwhile geological/archeological attractions. Just make sure you pay attention to your gas gauge and plan ahead.

Probably better to take I-80 back home, until you fully recondition the bearings and towing lights.

Z